Nightmare: HP Touchsmart 11

texson

Reaction score
Posting this for 2 reasons: 1) To warn anyone else who would attempt to do this, and 2) Suggestions.

A customer brought me a HP 11-n010dx that had issues. The biggest issue being windows 8. She hates it. My suggestion was to downgrade to Windows 7 and she agreed.

What a mistake.

The first problem was installation. Nothing worked. The unit does not have a DVD, so it was a matter of installing via USB - either a thumbdrive or external player. Long story short, nothing worked. I went through more than a dozen thumbdrives created in every manner I know of - Rufus UEFI, ISOmagic, ISO to USB, etc. Nothing worked. I kept getting the "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing" message from the windows installer.

I then went to the players: Memorex, Asus, LG - using different ISO's burned in different manners. Again, nothing. I did some research and found others had the same problem,and while there may have been some solutions that might have worked, I chose the one that offered the path of least resistance - wipe the drive and create 2 partitions. One partition, 10gb, which held the Windows 7 installation. So, after reinstalling the drive in the machine it booted and installed just fine.

Which brings me to my current dilemma - just a few of the drivers actually installed. No ethernet, no wifi, no USB, no graphics....all the essentials were missing. Now I am stuck with a machine I cannot work on. I cannot install a wifi adapter to run driver software, nor can I use the ethernet port. Needless to say, none of the USB ports work so there is no transfering drivers to the machine, even if I could find them (HP only supplies 8 and 10 drivers). And, even if I found the drivers, I would have to disassemble the machine again to put them on the hard drive and reinstall it.

I have installed 7 on well over 100 machines and have never failed to complete a full installation. Some have been very problematic, but in the end, all the installations worked. Because of this, I did not backup the hard drive in anticipation of problems. So, at this point, I am faced with having to disassemble the machine again and install windows 8 (to be upgraded to 10), or, if possible, install 10 directly. The problem with this is - I have no product keys to use for either.

I did a seach here in the forums and could not find any similar problems from which to draw useful advice from, so I am asking here in this thread. Has anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks,

Rick

You need to reinstall 7 and slipstream the USB 3.0 drivers into the installation so you can connect external devices and install the rest of the missing drivers. It's a nightmare. Moral of the story: Only offer to install Windows 7 if the laptop has either an optical drive or at least one USB 2.0 port.

You need to reinstall 7 and slipstream the USB 3.0 drivers into the installation so you can connect external devices and install the rest of the missing drivers. It's a nightmare. Moral of the story: Only offer to install Windows 7 if the laptop has either an optical drive or at least one USB 2.0 port.
According to the HP specs this unit has a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0

If you have Snappy Driver on a USB you should be able to use that to install the drivers. Also 3DPnet for the wireless driver.

The Windows 8 PK is embedded in the MOBO.

Normally I use ASO (advanced system optimizer) since it has always out performed anything else I have tried. This utility has resolved some incredibly difficult driver issues.

The problem, right now, with using any driver software is that I have no internet access, and, the USB ports are useless. If I could even so much as find the correct USB drivers (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F35&SUBSYS_2209103C&REV_OE), I might would stand a chance. I could pull the hard drive out, put the driver on it, reinstall it, boot the machine and install the USB driver.

Oddly enough, I have never once did an install on a machine where not so much as even ONE of the USB ports did not work.

This is such a hair puller.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

The problem here is the drivers themselves. They are not available on the HP site. I am guessing they are probably Intel drivers, but I cannot find anything on intel.com that even remotely looks like it would work.

Which leads me to another question: aside from the hardware ID, how do you determine which USB drivers will work?

If the drivers don't exist on HP's website, it's either a terrible error on HP's part (I wouldn't be surprised), or HP just doesn't support Windows 7 on this notebook. Your only solution is to use a driver update program like Snappy, or you can use a driver identifier program to identify the proper driver, then download it directly from Intel's website. I'd recommend 3DChip:

http://www.3dpchip.com/3dpchip/3dp/chip_down_en.php

EDIT: But what I would do first is install USB wifi and check Windows Update for the driver from Microsoft.

Normally I use ASO (advanced system optimizer) since it has always out performed anything else I have tried. This utility has resolved some incredibly difficult driver issues.

The problem, right now, with using any driver software is that I have no internet access, and, the USB ports are useless. If I could even so much as find the correct USB drivers (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F35&SUBSYS_2209103C&REV_OE), I might would stand a chance. I could pull the hard drive out, put the driver on it, reinstall it, boot the machine and install the USB driver.

Oddly enough, I have never once did an install on a machine where not so much as even ONE of the USB ports did not work.

This is such a hair puller.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.
According to "pcidatabase.com" -

Chip Number:0F35Chip
Description:Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
Notes: Driver for Windows 7: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...tu-USB-and-graphics-driver-issue/td-p/3672020

www.pcidatabase.com is an invaluable website to find odd drivers.

Back