New Battery not charging

johnrobert

Reaction score
HP 13 Spectre laptop installed new battery left it on charge overnight did not fully charge actually it did not charge at all only what it had when I got it.
When I plug the power in it does not do the usual showing charging only shows the plug.
it looks like the original battery was OK the problem is not charging, bought the battery thinking this would be an easy job.
Could this be a software issue?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
Boot it to a popular linux distro Ubuntu. Almost all of them have battery charge indicators. Have you verified if BIOS is updated.

HP 13 Spectre laptop installed new battery left it on charge overnight did not fully charge actually it did not charge at all only what it had when I got it.
When I plug the power in it does not do the usual showing charging only shows the plug.
it looks like the original battery was OK the problem is not charging, bought the battery thinking this would be an easy job.
Could this be a software issue?
Make sure that you have FULLY plugged in the battery. It's either not fully plugged in or it is a used illegally relabeled as a new battery that is faulty. The market is full of this crap.

Good idea Mark thanks, will try that and update the bios
I went into device mgr uninstalled anything battery and did update with Snappy still not working. also, I cant see doing a clean install helping.
Not sure if the battery $75 can be returned I guess it depends where it was bought from, as I suspect old battery is good.
This is a case where you can be caught in the middle is it usual to get money upfront for battery, never had this happen before.

... or a faulty motherboard charging circuit.
or maybe ac adapter.

Hell sometimes it's not plugged in enough for the system to detect, like on Dells. Had a few new ones I deployed. First one I plugged in it wasn't all the way in since when I turned it on it said it was not recognized. Was enough to power the system. When I looked at the plug it had a little bit of the metal barrel showing, pushed it in all the way and it was good from there. I've had plugs in that past that didn't go all the way in so I didn't really think about it when I plugged it in.

Was this brought in for the battery not charging? Did you try another ac adapter?

Yes brought in for dead battery will test the adapter maybe it's not putting out 19V
I checked vendor has 30 days money back so will not spend too much time bios update and charger test and a few other things
I think charger is favorite.

Just checked charger 19.88 so not that, unless its the amps or something, as Larry said maybe MB

Yes brought in for dead battery will test the adapter maybe it's not putting out 19V
I checked vendor has 30 days money back so will not spend too much time bios update and charger test and a few other things
I think charger is favorite.

Just checked charger 19.88 so not that, unless its the amps or something, as Larry said maybe MB
Did you check the voltage from the adapter while it wasn't plugged in to the laptop?

You can't just check the voltage that really means nothing by itself. Gotta check it inline with the laptop. Measure at the DC jack or motherboard. Even that's not a surefire way to prove it works properly. The motherboard could have an issue detecting it and thus not enabling the battery to charge. Most reliable way in my book is to plug in a known good ac adapter.

I put old battery back the symbol is different showing an X of course it could be the new battery defective it says made in China but everything is made in China
I will try another charger it's not a common charger I have a universal one somewhere.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
I found another charger and now the battery is charging so that was the problem

I have one other problem looks like CMOS battery is no good does anybody know where it goes in this model HP Spectre X360 13-4120CA

Attachments

• IMG-0669  new.jpg
    IMG-0669 new.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-0672n ew.jpg
    IMG-0672n ew.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 6
I found another charger and now the battery is charging so that was the problem

I have one other problem looks like CMOS battery is no good does anybody know where it goes in this model HP Spectre X360 13-4120CA
It’s not a serviceable component. If you can’t hold a charge you will have to replace the motherboard.

Just when I thought I had solved the problem, MB has to be replaced, not the CMOS battery
I got another PS today so I would not have to give him my universal one,

it has 2 buttons one on each side only if I press the right-hand side one to turn it on do I have the problem it has a Windows logo next to it so not sure what it does
when I press the left power button all is good
Thanks to everybody for the help

Last edited:
Back