Yoga C740 Not Charging

Appletax

Reaction score

Yoga C740-15IML

Started out at 100% battery. Says it's charging, but the battery keeps depleting. Charges via USB-C. Can use either port to charge it.

Now it's charging. Not sure what to make of it. I can't test the AC adapter with a multimeter. Looks like I should purchase a USB-C testing unit. Any recommendations?

Lenovo Diag reports no issues with the battery.

HWiNFO shows a 4.7% wear level on the battery and 55 cycle counts.

Screenshot 2022-08-29 111853.png Screenshot 2022-08-29 113152.png

Started out at 100% battery. Says it's charging, but the battery keeps depleting.
Down to what level? Many laptops will manage the charge level automatically, letting the charge level drop to a certain level (e.g. 95%) before recharging, to help maximise battery health.
Looks like I should purchase a USB-C testing unit. Any recommendations?
It's called a spare USB-C charger. They're all compatible, doesn't matter what brand, as long as it puts out enough watts (usually 65W).

I have lots in stock, one on the workbench, they work with lots of modern laptops including Macbooks. From my distributors I find the Dell 65W USB-C chargers are cheaper than anything else including generic. No reason not to have at least one for testing.

You need one of these so you can tell what is going on. What voltage and what amperage between charger and laptop. Without knowing V and A you're just guessing. Mac and Nintendo switches communicate at 5v and after successful checks boost to 15v - 20v. Knowing if you're boosting correctly or sitting at 5v is the first step in the diagnosis.

Yoga's are notorious for bad ports and bad USB-C controller chips.

I don’t understand the issue. Is it charging or not? Slow charging? Intermittent Charging? Have you tried another charger?

It was not charging at all. Now it's fluctuating between 95% and 100%. I sure hope it stays working.

You need one of these so you can tell what is going on. What voltage and what amperage between charger and laptop. Without knowing V and A you're just guessing. Mac and Nintendo switches communicate at 5v and after successful checks boost to 15v - 20v. Knowing if you're boosting correctly or sitting at 5v is the first step in the diagnosis.

Yoga's are notorious for bad ports and bad USB-C controller chips.

Thank you for the link to the tester. I ordered it.

Sucks to learn that Yoga's are notorious for those issues. This laptop is quite nice - made of metal, backlit keyboard, nice display, etc.

I just dealt with a Lenovo with bag hinges (back cover's screw holes are super shallow and fragile). Not good, Lenovo.

Back