My Diagnostics Procedure: Test Up To 20+ Computers A Day

I like this method. Once I had a car that I was always afraid would die on me. I wished there was some way I could just have it all tested to see, but no auto shop I know of is going to do a full diagnosis of my car. They can diagnose certain issues, check out certain parts of my car, and give their opinion, but in the end they won't be able to tell me the complete overall health of my car.

Obviously you are not ripping off your customers. They are fully aware of what you are doing, and if they did not agree they would go elsewhere.

Sometimes we get feedback on our diagnosis fee, because sometimes the tech will just write "Bad ___, not worth fixing" and they will say, "I already knew it was bad!"

However, I don't think I'm ready to completely commit to this thoroughness. A lot of people want their computer back as soon as possible, so it would be nice if they had the option to waive the full diagnostics.

I like this method. Once I had a car that I was always afraid would die on me. I wished there was some way I could just have it all tested to see, but no auto shop I know of is going to do a full diagnosis of my car. They can diagnose certain issues, check out certain parts of my car, and give their opinion, but in the end they won't be able to tell me the complete overall health of my car.

Obviously you are not ripping off your customers. They are fully aware of what you are doing, and if they did not agree they would go elsewhere.

Sometimes we get feedback on our diagnosis fee, because sometimes the tech will just write "Bad ___, not worth fixing" and they will say, "I already knew it was bad!"

However, I don't think I'm ready to completely commit to this thoroughness. A lot of people want their computer back as soon as possible, so it would be nice if they had the option to waive the full diagnostics.

What I have found out is that EVERYONE wants their computer back as soon as possible, and unless you are a week+ wait time, then your more than likely not going to see a drop in business. Besides, people who are unrealistic about turn around times and are unwilling to pay for quality service, are typically customers you don't want anyways.

As for your feedback on diagnostics, I have never really had that type of comment or feedback from my customers. When they first come in, they tell me their problems and what they think it is. I explain that we will run a diagnostics to confirm one way or another. After I get the go ahead, I then ask them for permission to go forward with the repairs, if the problem is what the customer thinks it is. At this point, I explain to them that no news is good news and that if their problem is as predicted, then we will call them when the repairs are finished. If there are any other issues, we will call them with the diagnostics results and we will not do any repairs without their explicit permission. This initial explanation helps to save a lot of time and phones calls back and forth. Making sure that you thoroughly explain everything up front, especially in person, helps to keep miss communication to a minimum.

Also, we include our diagnostics fee as a deposit towards repairs as long as they get their computer repaired. So in the end, I really don't expect customers to complain when we confirm what they already knew.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a repeat of what someone else said. This thread is very long and I only skimmed to see if someone else mentioned it.

I like the idea of doing a full system diagnostic...it just makes sense. However, I disagree with the idea of how you approach the hard drive diagnostic portion. Rather than wasting time diagnosing the drive and possibly lose the data, it makes more sense to just fully clone the drive. To properly diagnose a drive, you need to read every sector. If you are going to do that anyway, you might as well copy them to another drive, just to play it safe. If you run into issues, you know that there are problems with the drive and can decide if it is something that you can handle or if you need a pro.

I had a client bring in a drive where the tech thought the drive was bad. He did a full scan with his diagnostic program and found that there were a few bad sectors. So, his next step was to try and scan and fix those bad sectors, which then resulted in more bad sectors. He then realized that he should now try to backup the data before it was too late...it was too late and the drive no longer detected, as the heads finally crashed. A project that was likely $500 at the lab was now a $1500 project.

Sorry if this is a repeat of what someone else said. This thread is very long and I only skimmed to see if someone else mentioned it.

I like the idea of doing a full system diagnostic...it just makes sense. However, I disagree with the idea of how you approach the hard drive diagnostic portion. Rather than wasting time diagnosing the drive and possibly lose the data, it makes more sense to just fully clone the drive. To properly diagnose a drive, you need to read every sector. If you are going to do that anyway, you might as well copy them to another drive, just to play it safe. If you run into issues, you know that there are problems with the drive and can decide if it is something that you can handle or if you need a pro.

I had a client bring in a drive where the tech thought the drive was bad. He did a full scan with his diagnostic program and found that there were a few bad sectors. So, his next step was to try and scan and fix those bad sectors, which then resulted in more bad sectors. He then realized that he should now try to backup the data before it was too late...it was too late and the drive no longer detected, as the heads finally crashed. A project that was likely $500 at the lab was now a $1500 project.

That's why we do a short scan first (I am pretty sure that's in the thread). If the hard drive was failing that bad, it will pop immediately on the short scan, in which case we know its failing and we can clone the drive if needed. If we felt that the hard drive was failing even before running tests and if the data was important, then we would clone the drive first without question, but for us this is rarely the case. It is a good point to bring up though, and everyone should most def keep that in mind when dealing with sensitive data, especially when it comes to business clients. As YeOldeStonecat said before, if you feel that the hard drive is failing without running any tests, sometimes its just better to clone and replace immediately without any question.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Unless you are on-site, there is no reason why you should not run a full hardware diagnostics before every repair. Not doing so is just stupid.

I skimp on the tread and sorry if this issue has already been discuss.

I understand the advantage of running full diagnostic. But do you really need to run full diag if the client took the Laptop for screen replacement? I'm sure it doesn't happen very often but what is the system failed because of the stress test during diagnostic. The hard drive has faulty head which now failed due to stress. I know it's not the tech fault because eventually the problem will occur. Most client will think that it was working when they drop it off. Only the screen is broken, now they have to replace the hard drive and possibly pay a fortune to recover the data.

Do you backup the data before you do full diag? The client is not aware you will be putting stress on their machine but you do. Since you know this info, wont you be liable if you didn't protect the customer data? Even asking the customer is they backup their data might not be sufficient. They are not expecting an intrusive test where they data could be lost.

I also understand your disclaimer "Unless your are on-site". There's just no time to run full diag while on site. But the same principle applies. "Protect Your Reputation". If your successful in doing that for mobile/onsite service without diag, why can't you do the same for in store service. There is a lot of mobile tech on this forum (including myself) and I don't think we will survive if there's a lot of customer complaint.

I not against full diag but I just don't think you need it all the time. Just my .02 cents. I do mostly mobile so I don't run full diag. I was wondering how many tech do full diag for in store service?

I skimp on the tread and sorry if this issue has already been discuss.

I understand the advantage of running full diagnostic. But do you really need to run full diag if the client took the Laptop for screen replacement? I'm sure it doesn't happen very often but what is the system failed because of the stress test during diagnostic. The hard drive has faulty head which now failed due to stress. I know it's not the tech fault because eventually the problem will occur. Most client will think that it was working when they drop it off. Only the screen is broken, now they have to replace the hard drive and possibly pay a fortune to recover the data.

Yes, we absolutely run a full diagnostics for screen replacements, especially on the hard drive due to the nature of how screens usually break. In half, if not more of the screen replacements we do, the hard drive is failing. As stated before, we always check the smart data first, then run a short test. If in either of these instances we see a significant amount of bad sectors or that the hard drive is failing, we immediately backup the information. As far as stressing out the hard drive and causing it to fail due to some mechanical failure, you have to understand that this is the point of the diagnostics. If we did not test the drive and see it fail, then it would have failed shortly after it left the shop, which is what we are trying to avoid.

Do you backup the data before you do full diag? The client is not aware you will be putting stress on their machine but you do. Since you know this info, wont you be liable if you didn't protect the customer data? Even asking the customer is they backup their data might not be sufficient. They are not expecting an intrusive test where they data could be lost.

We always discuss with our customer the diagnostics process and that the whole point of the diagnostics is to make sure that nothing else is failing or that it wont be failing in the near future. They understand that we are not responsible for their data, but if we feel that there is a possible hard drive failure, that we will attempt to backup the data immediately. Again, as stated before, if the diagnostics shows that the hard drive failed, it is not due to the test it self, it was obviously due to some problem with the hard drive that would have caused it to fail either during the test or shortly after the customer brought home the computer. Again, if we felt the hard drive was failing before we started any tests, then we would have backed up their data. In the case of screen replacements, we typically do this regardless.

I also understand your disclaimer "Unless your are on-site". There's just no time to run full diag while on site. But the same principle applies. "Protect Your Reputation". If your successful in doing that for mobile/onsite service without diag, why can't you do the same for in store service. There is a lot of mobile tech on this forum (including myself) and I don't think we will survive if there's a lot of customer complaint.

Sorry, I know you only skimmed this thread due to how long it is (and trust me, I understand), but this question has been answered several times in this thread and I can only repeat myself so much. The better question is why would you not run a full diagnostics in shop if you have the opportunity to do so, especially when you should understand the nature of electronics and the likelihood of possible failure? Regardless of that, if you are in a shop and you have any significant amount of work, then you are going to have at least a 2 to 3 day turn around for most repairs, why would you not then run a full diagnostics over night while you are working on other computers? Even if you did not have a whole lot of work, then I would have to argue that you have even less excuse to not run a full diagnostics with all the free time you have.

As for success, it can be measured in different ways, and depending on who you are, your idea of success may be very different than someone else's idea of success. So what is success? Is it you doing one repair without checking for other failures and addressing them before they become a real problem, only to have your customer come back a few months later to pay for a different set of repairs that could have been prevented or taken care of the first time? Or is success knowing that you did a full diagnostics, prevented your customers from losing precious data and or saved your customer money by finding other major issues that would otherwise make the initial repairs not worth doing? The first definition of success is what most shops go by. If they can repair the obvious issues without revealing other issues, then they are more than likely going to see that customer again for other repairs that could have been addressed the first time. For people who go by this idea of success, their fear is that if they find other issues, they will lose the initial repairs and make less money. Whereas if they do not do a full diagnostics, then they will keep the initial repairs and hopefully gain another. I am sorry, but this is not how I run my business. My idea of success is doing everything possible to make sure that the customer is taken care of and that they are aware of everything that is wrong with their computer so that they can make an educated decision about repairing or replacing their computer.

I not against full diag but I just don't think you need it all the time. Just my .02 cents. I do mostly mobile so I don't run full diag. I was wondering how many tech do full diag for in store service?

As for mobile repair techs, there is no way to run a full diagnostics and this should be explained to the customer. To answer your question about how many shops actually run a full diagnostics, I would say maybe 1 out of every 10 shops. If the success of computer repair shops around the world is anything like it is here, then I would say that of every 10 shops opened, at least 8 of them will fail and go out of business in the first 3 to 5 years. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
As for success, it can be measured in different ways, and depending on who you are, your idea of success may be very different than someone else's idea of success. So what is success? Is it you doing one repair without checking for other failures and addressing them before they become a real problem, only to have your customer come back a few months later to pay for a different set of repairs that could have been prevented or taken care of the first time? Or is success knowing that you did a full diagnostics, prevented your customers from losing precious data and or saved your customer money by finding other major issues that would otherwise make the initial repairs not worth doing? The first definition of success is what most shops go by.

For me, success is based on customer satisfaction and profit. In order to achieve excellent customer satisfaction, we need to fix it right the first time and also other issue that might warrant a return trip. If you can do this as fast as you can, then you can make more profit.

How do mobile tech accomplish this without running full diag? I'm been doing onsite support for almost three decades. Others have done it longer than me. We both know it's not cost effective to do full diag on site but I and the others must be doing something right because were still around. Wont you agree the some mobile tech can provide excellent customer satisfaction without running full diag?

Again I'm have nothing against full diag if done correctly. I might even do it if time permits. If mobile tech are successful doing it on site why not apply the same technique on the store. I'm not saying my technique (without full diag) is better than yours (with full diag) but we both achieve customer satisfaction.

The stress is not just on hard drive which can be avoid if detected early. There are other things that can not be detected. It could also be wear and tear, like LCD screens. You run full diag and everything looks good. After a week the ccfl burn out. Now you have one un-happpy customer because the full diag didn't detect it. It doesn't happen very often but my point is there could be disadvantage on running full diag. I'm sure the advantage running full diag probably weight more.

Im not trying to convince you not to run full diag because overall it's a good thing. And it works for most tech. I just know there are other methods to achieve the same goal otherwise I will be out of business.

Last edited:
For me, success is based on customer satisfaction and profit. In order to achieve excellent customer satisfaction, we need to fix it right the first time and also other issue that might warrant a return trip. If you can do this as fast as you can, then you can make more profit.

How do mobile tech accomplish this without running full diag? I'm been doing onsite support for almost three decades. Others have done it longer than me. We both know it's not cost effective to do full diag on site but I and the others must be doing something right because were still around. Wont you agree the some mobile tech can provide excellent customer satisfaction without running full diag?

Again I'm have nothing against full diag if done correctly. I might even do it if time permits. If mobile tech are successful doing it on site why not apply the same technique on the store. I'm not saying my technique (without full diag) is better than yours (with full diag) but we both achieve customer satisfaction.

The stress is not just on hard drive which can be avoid if detected early. There are other things that can not be detected. It could also be wear and tear, like LCD screens. You run full diag and everything looks good. After a week the ccfl burn out. Now you have one un-happpy customer because the full diag didn't detect it. It doesn't happen very often but my point is there could be disadvantage on running full diag. I'm sure the advantage running full diag probably weight more.

Im not trying to convince you not to run full diag because overall it's a good thing. And it works for most tech. I just know there are other methods to achieve the same goal otherwise I will be out of business.

Uh, I think you have miss understood. As I said before it is impossible for mobile techs to do a full diagnostics on site and that they can only do so much. It is a very viable service and it can be done right and it can be done quickly. It really just requires you to make good judgment calls and know when to take it back to the shop and when you can feasibly do the repairs on site. I say that as long as you spend a half hour on a short diagnostics, you will cover as many of the bases you feasibly can for onsite repairs.

Why not do it in the store? Because regardless of how good you think you are, you are still going to miss things. I cannot count the number of times I have seen a tech quickly diagnose something based best guess and troubleshooting and short diagnostics (some techniques you would use on site) only to find out that there were other issues after doing a full diagnostics. Again, providing you do the repairs in a shop, why would you not run a full diagnostics?

As for there being disadvantages to a full diagnostics, you are grasping at straws. The full diagnostics, checks for current issues as well as potential issues. The fact is regardless of whether or not you do it, you are going to run into situations where the end result was not your fault, so again, why would you not run a full diagnostics? As you already said, the advantages of running a full diagnostics (again in shop) far exceeds any disadvantages (with common sense when it comes to sensitive data) a full diagnostics may have. The only real disadvantage that I can see is time, and honestly, I can sacrifice some time for my customers.

Most everything you say has merit, especially as a mobile tech, but keep in mind that if you have opportunity to be more thorough and to do more for your customer, you should do it.

I use my OWN "common sense" of course what I consider common isn't the same for others

I ask my customers about previous computer repair service
Any computer with the original hd loaded with windows xp or windows vista has a BAD HD , So I don't waste time running a hd diagnostic on those systems
(Average HD lasts 3 years from experience, Keep in mind I'm only 22 :)

Sometimes the test is inaccurate , Some hard drives read good instead of bad
Memory tests are inaccurate sometimes

Last edited:
PCX, I finally clicked on the link in your sig to see what is all about. Good job.

Again, providing you do the repairs in a shop, why would you not run a full diagnostics?

I think this may be the point on which the whole conversation hinges.

I wonder how many that are balking over a full diag actually have the space to follow a process as you've outlined.
As you indicated it may only take 15 minutes of actual handling of the unit to do the diags. But to take up that much bench space for a 8 hours when other things are piling up may be where the problem lies for the guys working out of their kitchens or bedrooms.

Personally, in my 12x12 office I only have bench space for 3 PC's if I squeeze them in and use one of the wall mounted big screens for one. Then again I may only do 1 PC repair a week. PC repair is a very small part of my business. Though If I was doing 4-5 a day I'd have the space to do it...

PCX, I finally clicked on the link in your sig to see what is all about. Good job.

I think this may be the point on which the whole conversation hinges.

I wonder how many that are balking over a full diag actually have the space to follow a process as you've outlined.
As you indicated it may only take 15 minutes of actual handling of the unit to do the diags. But to take up that much bench space for a 8 hours when other things are piling up may be where the problem lies for the guys working out of their kitchens or bedrooms.

Personally, in my 12x12 office I only have bench space for 3 PC's if I squeeze them in and use one of the wall mounted big screens for one. Then again I may only do 1 PC repair a week. PC repair is a very small part of my business. Though If I was doing 4-5 a day I'd have the space to do it...

You know, thats actually a great point and I do not believe that anyone has brought it up and honest I really did not consider it. The reason why I never considered it though was because even when I was in a space that was 400sqft (first shop) I still ran a full diagnostics, but it sure took a lot of improvising. I ended up building tons of shelves with several teirs that allowed me to run all the memtests I needed as well as the motherboard tests. This freed up my benches and allowed me to keep working. I also built a machine that would allow me to test up to 8 hard drives at one time so of course that only took up a couple feet of space. So in short, I made it work. That said, I now have over 1400sqft and I find my self in the same position again trying to build more shelving and counters to make room for both repairs and diagnostics.

Anyways, I understand that the space requirements can be difficult to deal with, especially with very limited space, but it can be done in most cases. Thank you for bringing this up, I really had not considered addressing this issue. Maybe I will post a picture of what my first shop looked like and how I handeled the diagnostics.

I would actually love if you did that. Because I myself am starting to implent more of your diagnostic procedures. Especially when it come to testing the motherboard and video cards.

This was my first very humble setup . . . I used to have more pictures, but all I have now is a picture of one of the corners of my old shop, but this is pretty much how all the walls looked. Keep in mind, it was like 400sqft of working space

Also included is a picture of one of the first HDD diagnostic boxes that I built. Obviously the ones we have now can do way more.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 421
Absolutely, every single time. I cannot count the number of times that customers have come in with a computer that had a software related issue and it was caused by failing hardware. I have also had several other customers come in for things like you described above and then I found that their hard drive was also failing. What are the advantages to this?

First and foremost, it covers your butt in the case the customer bring home their computer and then all of the sudden their hard drive dies. Well that obviously had nothing to do with you, but try to explain that to the customer.

What if they lost all their data as a result?

Secondly, you are looking out for the customer. Why should the customer invest so much money into a machine that is about to crap the bed? Most shops around here fix the obvious issues only to leave the customer hanging on the rest . . . which from an unethical (IMHO) stand point is a great business practice, because hopefully they will come back to them for the next repair.

In most cases, I have customers thanking me that I did not take advantage of them and that I told them everything up front, instead of wasting their time and money.

Lastly, diagnostics leads to more work. They can lead to more services and repairs or data transfers if they decided to buy a new computer instead.

Besides, how long does it really take to do this.

1 - 2 minutes pulling the hard drive and staring the test
1 - 2 minutes booting into memtest86+
1 - 2 minutes to start testing the MOBO, CPU and GPU with PC Check and PC Doctor

Sure, all in all it takes about a day to complete, but you spent maybe 5 to 10 minutes max in most cases to start the tests. Can you not afford 5 to 10 minutes of your time to take care of your customer, eliminate hardware failure out of the equation of software issues, and lastly make more money in the end?

:)excellent quote fully agree with you both though.:):cool:

This is an older thread but felt compelled to reply anyway. Although I agree that Memtest is a good diagnostics tool it is not 100%. If it does find a fault it does mean that one of the sticks (at least) has an issue.

However, if it does not find a fault, it does not mean that the sticks are okay. At least one of the sticks could still have an issue. IME, I have found that taking out the stick closest to the CPU will resolve the majority of issues that occur on or near boot-up (if it is memory related, of course) or before the other stick(s) come online. This still is not 100% but it is a very good guideline.

On another note, when taking in a new computer (even for just a tuneup), I always attempt to remember to check the event viewer - many times a failing hard drive will make itself known there (among other things) before any other symptoms occur.

What are your opinions on TechUSB?

It does pre-o/s HDD and memory test from a USB drive, and also scans for viruses using (I think I read ) ClamAV. They have also teamed with our own FoolishIT to utilize a fork of D7. Seems pretty handy, just wondering what some of you veteran techs think of it's usefulness.

EDIT: Seems their website is down to prep for full launch on the 30th.
EDIT 2: Updated with more info.

Last edited:
Absolutely, every single time. I cannot count the number of times that customers have come in with a computer that had a software related issue and it was caused by failing hardware. I have also had several other customers come in for things like you described above and then I found that their hard drive was also failing. What are the advantages to this?

First and foremost, it covers your butt in the case the customer bring home their computer and then all of the sudden their hard drive dies. Well that obviously had nothing to do with you, but try to explain that to the customer.

What if they lost all their data as a result?

Secondly, you are looking out for the customer. Why should the customer invest so much money into a machine that is about to crap the bed? Most shops around here fix the obvious issues only to leave the customer hanging on the rest . . . which from an unethical (IMHO) stand point is a great business practice, because hopefully they will come back to them for the next repair.

In most cases, I have customers thanking me that I did not take advantage of them and that I told them everything up front, instead of wasting their time and money.

Lastly, diagnostics leads to more work. They can lead to more services and repairs or data transfers if they decided to buy a new computer instead.

Besides, how long does it really take to do this.

1 - 2 minutes pulling the hard drive and staring the test
1 - 2 minutes booting into memtest86+
1 - 2 minutes to start testing the MOBO, CPU and GPU with PC Check and PC Doctor

Sure, all in all it takes about a day to complete, but you spent maybe 5 to 10 minutes max in most cases to start the tests. Can you not afford 5 to 10 minutes of your time to take care of your customer, eliminate hardware failure out of the equation of software issues, and lastly make more money in the end?

My thought exactly!!

I've read through the first five pages.

At first I was inclined to side with those who say that a full diagnosis is wayy too much time to throw into every job. After reading and doing some thinking I have changed my opinion.

Consider this:

Most customers (like 95%+) do not know what is wrong with their computer. Almost that same amount do not know how to even accurately describe what the problem even is! So in short, the customer is usually clueless except to the fact that the computer isn't working the way they feel it should or the way it used to work for them.

To get everything setup that the OP suggests will take 10 min of your time and 8 hours (or more) of waiting. While it can be a big selling point that you can get most machines back to the customer the same day, it can be a much bigger selling point to have a low low percentage of recent repairs come back in (atleast for something you could have caught and something that is unrelated to the original problem).

So you get everything set up and start the diagnosis and find that indeed there are issues with the memory sticks, motherboard or hard drive(s). Now you can proudly say the following to the customer:

Tech: "While running a complete diagnostic, I've discovered that your hard drive is failing and could stop working at any time."

Customer: "You ran a complete diagnostic? I just wanted the porn viruses off of there?"

Tech: "It's a service I perform to every machine. I do this so that I know exactly what is wrong with the computer. I don't want to guess what might be causing a problem or just clean out the viruses and have the machine crash because of a failing hard drive I could have easily caught."

Customer: "Wow. The kid down the street just ran malwarebytes, took my money and then quit answering the phone when it happened again."

Tech: "I just want to look out for my customers." I can replace that drive and hopefully save anything important that you need before the drive does fail. It will be X for a new drive and I can have you up and running by tomorrow."

Customer: "Wow. That's great! No more neighboorhood freelance techs for me!"

You don't want customer coming back unhappy. Now if you clean all the crap out of their computer and they go and clunk it right back up, there is nothing you can do about that (except keep taking their money and keep fixing the machine). But if the hard drive fails, try explaining to them that you had no idea it was going bad.

Most of the time they are unreasonable and irrational about these things. They do not care that, in all honesty, a brand new drive out of the box could fail within days, weeks or a few months. Hard drives can crap the bed in 6 months or some can make it 10 years.

I know for a fact: The customer will appreciate the fact that you fully tested everything before they got the machine back, even if it means waiting an extra day.

P.S. : Most customers these days are willing to wait an extra day instead of paying for same day service. I know when shopping online, or sending something through the mail I usually always go with a slower service because more often then not it's either free or a small fraction of next day shipping. The exception being the one or two times I've needed something the next day.

Back