My Diagnostics Procedure: Test Up To 20+ Computers A Day

Would you mind explaining this in a little more detail please? (What constitutes one diagnostic to be $50 and another to be $75?) Thanks.

Our general diagnostics is $50 minimal. This covers MOST everything. What it does not cover is our extensive diagnostics which is $75. The extensive diagnostics is charged any time that we have to take a laptop completely apart in order to run diagnostics and troubleshoot problems to figure what is wrong with the computer. We also charge $75 minimal for Macs. These diagnostics fees are charged up front.

So basically, both are the same procedure when running a diagnostics, the only difference is that the extensive diagnostics requires way more work and time, thus we charge more for it. We have never had an issue with charging this.

Where I live, and I am sure it is the same for other techs here, I could never get away with charging a diagnostic fee up front. I have only been in this business for a couple of months, but have had my own businesses for the past 20 years. Most of which were very successful, so I have a pretty good idea on how to run a business.
There is not much competition here, and if I want to blow my own trumpet I can say that I am the best tech in town. However, with high rates of unempoyment (15%) and high rates of pensioners (35%) who don't own any tech I am trading in a very small market and aiming services at the lower-middle class.

I wish I were in an area full of marines with plenty of cash to throw around on the latest gadgets so I could charge upfron diagnostic fees, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Here, there are two shops in town, one is closing soon and the other is owned by a guy who sits outside all day and never has any clients.
Four mobile techs that I know all have sales of less than £500/month and are really struggling.
I was getting about 10 clients per week, but now I have changed my pricing so it is fixed pricing and not hourly I am getting 15-20 and increasing every week.
I have NEVER had to give a PC back without the client paying me as I have always fixed them, or diagnosed a problem that wasn't worth the client fixing for financial reasons so have charged a diagnostic fee of £40 (about $60)
With my current business model I am very happy with the weekly increase in new clients, and also happy with the £'s I am earning given the current economical climate of my area. Why on earth would I want to change to a model that I know would reduce my business and income.

Our general diagnostics is $50 minimal. This covers MOST everything. What it does not cover is our extensive diagnostics which is $75. The extensive diagnostics is charged any time that we have to take a laptop completely apart in order to run diagnostics and troubleshoot problems to figure what is wrong with the computer. We also charge $75 minimal for Macs. These diagnostics fees are charged up front.

So basically, both are the same procedure when running a diagnostics, the only difference is that the extensive diagnostics requires way more work and time, thus we charge more for it. We have never had an issue with charging this.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Where I live, and I am sure it is the same for other techs here, I could never get away with charging a diagnostic fee up front. I have only been in this business for a couple of months, but have had my own businesses for the past 20 years. Most of which were very successful, so I have a pretty good idea on how to run a business.
There is not much competition here, and if I want to blow my own trumpet I can say that I am the best tech in town. However, with high rates of unempoyment (15%) and high rates of pensioners (35%) who don't own any tech I am trading in a very small market and aiming services at the lower-middle class.

I wish I were in an area full of marines with plenty of cash to throw around on the latest gadgets so I could charge upfron diagnostic fees, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Here, there are two shops in town, one is closing soon and the other is owned by a guy who sits outside all day and never has any clients.
Four mobile techs that I know all have sales of less than £500/month and are really struggling.
I was getting about 10 clients per week, but now I have changed my pricing so it is fixed pricing and not hourly I am getting 15-20 and increasing every week.
I have NEVER had to give a PC back without the client paying me as I have always fixed them, or diagnosed a problem that wasn't worth the client fixing for financial reasons so have charged a diagnostic fee of £40 (about $60)
With my current business model I am very happy with the weekly increase in new clients, and also happy with the £'s I am earning given the current economical climate of my area. Why on earth would I want to change to a model that I know would reduce my business and income.

That's great, I am glad that things are doing well for you. I know that things cannot always be done the way we would like everywhere around the world, but just a piece of encouragement. I think it can be done even in the hardest of areas. I started this business from my home, going to college to be a teacher (yeah, I know) From the very beginning, I charged a diagnostics fee up front. In 2.5 years, we are the fastest growing computer shop and probably the most successful at this point.

Most people do not know the difference. Some times I explain to be people that everyone charges a diagnostics fee. Some do it upfront (me being the only one) and other charge it at the end. The difference between me and them is that I actually perform one. The extent of most peoples diagnostics is turning it one, looking at the pop ups and saying "yep, you got a virus"

I do not have to explain that to most people, but those that I have to, immediately get it.

Anyways, my point is this, its worth trying.

Would you mind explaining this in a little more detail please? (What constitutes one diagnostic to be $50 and another to be $75?) Thanks.

It's not the actual diagnositcs it's you time to perform those diagnostics that we need to charge for.

I mean it is like going to the doctor and he says you have a terminal disease that can't be fixed, at the end of the diagnosis he charges you for the diagnostic (his time) even though he has not fixed you. As techs we are no different. This No fix, No charge caper is garbage, there is always a fix to a computer problem, the fix may well be it is time for the customer to dump that old baby and get a new one (we deduce that from the diagnostic). You need to charge for you time, how much you charge is up to you, your the doctor.

It's not the actual diagnositcs it's you time to perform those diagnostics that we need to charge for.

I mean it is like going to the doctor and he says you have a terminal disease that can't be fixed, at the end of the diagnosis he charges you for the diagnostic (his time) even though he has not fixed you. As techs we are no different. This No fix, No charge caper is garbage, there is always a fix to a computer problem, the fix may well be it is time for the customer to dump that old baby and get a new one (we deduce that from the diagnostic). You need to charge for you time, how much you charge is up to you, your the doctor.
Well here the doctors are free :D
The "No fix no fee" works for me, it attracts clients and I have never had to do work for free. So whilst it may be garbage in your opinion it is not in mine.
Just last week I got a small law firm on board (They are "no win no fee") and it was the no fix no fee that attracted them to my services for a laptop repair that ended up with a service contract for their office.

And to use a car analogy, if I were to take my car to a repair shop to ask for a quote on getting it fixed, I would expect them to diagnose the problem and issue me with a quote and not a £75 bill.

So you will tell customers what is wrong with their computers for free? Mighty charitable of you. My line is, "If I can't fix it, it's FREE," not "If you choose not to repair it after I diagnose it, it's FREE!"

How do you know up front if you will have to tear the laptop completely apart to run the diag?

Most people do not know the difference. Some times I explain to be people that everyone charges a diagnostics fee. Some do it upfront (me being the only one) and other charge it at the end. The difference between me and them is that I actually perform one. The extent of most peoples diagnostics is turning it one, looking at the pop ups and saying "yep, you got a virus"

I keep seeing you make this claim over and over in threads that if people charge a diagnostic fee and do not perform a full diagnostic on all aspects of the computer then they are somehow lying or cheating the customer. I don't agree with this and it is probably just a matter of semantics.

When we charge our diagnostic fee, which is $25 and not paid up front, we are charging the customer to diagnose the issue they brought the computer in for. If they brought it in because they have programs popping up saying they have 164,594 problems with their computer, we will check it out and let them know what it will take to fix it. If they are not willing to go forward, they owe us $25.

When I go to the doc with a sore throat, he runs a set of tests/diagnostics related to my complaint and let's me know what it will take to fix it - usually some type of medicine. He may look in my ears and nose, but he does not run a full PET scan, do lots of blood work and so forth when I came in for a sore throat. Likewise we may do a quick look around for any other obvious problems, but we aren't going to spend a whole day running extensive diagnostics when they are complaining about their YouTube videos not playing right anymore.

I just don't like this "lots of people charge a diagnostic fee, but I'm one of the few that actually does it." Again, when you sell a customer a diagnostic, you may be selling a complete check of every system. But that is not what everyone means when they sell a diagnostic and we make it clear to our customers.

So you will tell customers what is wrong with their computers for free? Mighty charitable of you. My line is, "If I can't fix it, it's FREE," not "If you choose not to repair it after I diagnose it, it's FREE!"

Please read my posts before commenting. I DO NOT tell them what is wrong for free. If I diagnose a problem I charge a fee whether the client wants me to fix it or not. If I am unable to diagnose a problem I do not charge a Fee.
I clearly state this in my TOS on my "rates page", and on my checkin paperwork that if I diagnose a solution and the client chooses not to have it fixed then a diagnostics charge is payable.

Please read my posts before commenting. I DO NOT tell them what is wrong for free. If I diagnose a problem I charge a fee whether the client wants me to fix it or not. If I am unable to diagnose a problem I do not charge a Fee.
I clearly state this in my TOS on my "rates page", and on my checkin paperwork that if I diagnose a solution and the client chooses not to have it fixed then a diagnostics charge is payable.

I think some people can't read a thread throughly, because I read what you are talking about several posts ago. Thats why I think some threads get out of hand. Or people misunderstanding is another one.

Basically you really do charge a diagnostics charge because really in all situations you should be able to provide a solution to a customer. There's always a solution even if its replacing a lot of components in the machine to do so. Either way, you provide a solution whether the customer wants to go thru with it or not.

For me, I can always provide a solution. The question is whether its economical for the customer and whether they want to go thru with the repairs or buy a new computer. So in my case like yours, I still always charge a diagnostics fee.

What about a failing hardware, say it still works before your test and died while testing. The client asked a replacement/fix from your pocket.

slightly off topic I see but.... has anyone started using the new Android Testing software that PC-Doctor has come out with? and any ideas on pricing... I wish it could do more with 2.2+ instead of only occasional 2.3 and mostly 3.0+.... it would make testing our new and used phones 100x easier! esp. the antenna testing software!

Sorry about that. You are right, I did not completely read the post where you made that clear.

How do you know up front if you will have to tear the laptop completely apart to run the diag?

Not everything is going to be obvious, you have to use your best judgment. We always make the customer turn on their computer (if able) and show us the problems they are having before we will check in their computer. From there you can make a pretty good assessment on what will be required to diagnose the computer. If it does not turn on, it's an immediate $75 for the extensive diagnostics.

I keep seeing you make this claim over and over in threads that if people charge a diagnostic fee and do not perform a full diagnostic on all aspects of the computer then they are somehow lying or cheating the customer. I don't agree with this and it is probably just a matter of semantics.

When we charge our diagnostic fee, which is $25 and not paid up front, we are charging the customer to diagnose the issue they brought the computer in for. If they brought it in because they have programs popping up saying they have 164,594 problems with their computer, we will check it out and let them know what it will take to fix it. If they are not willing to go forward, they owe us $25.

When I go to the doc with a sore throat, he runs a set of tests/diagnostics related to my complaint and let's me know what it will take to fix it - usually some type of medicine. He may look in my ears and nose, but he does not run a full PET scan, do lots of blood work and so forth when I came in for a sore throat. Likewise we may do a quick look around for any other obvious problems, but we aren't going to spend a whole day running extensive diagnostics when they are complaining about their YouTube videos not playing right anymore.

I just don't like this "lots of people charge a diagnostic fee, but I'm one of the few that actually does it." Again, when you sell a customer a diagnostic, you may be selling a complete check of every system. But that is not what everyone means when they sell a diagnostic and we make it clear to our customers.

Yeah, I guess it could be up for interpretation just as quality can be up for interpretation. One of things that separates us from our competition is that our standards of quality or what we would consider a quality service is much higher than that of our competition. So yeah, I guess you could leave it up to interpretation if you want to.

The simple fact of the matter is, most techs turn on the computer and see a broken screen or see a virus and say "yep, your screen is broken" or "your got a virus" and that is the end of their diagnostics. Do you really think that they customer is paying you for a diagnostics to tell them what they already know? If so, then why are you charging it at all?

Aside from that, as most experience technicians already know, software issues can be caused by hardware failures, and even if that is not the case like with a virus, half the time the hard drive is failing anyways, so why would you not check for that?

What about screen replacements, at least half the time the hard drives are also failing due to the nature of the accident. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that I am one of the only shops around here that will check for things like failing hard drives for screen replacements.

My customers know everything about their computer before and after they get it repaired. They are all able to make an educated decision on what to do with their computer or whether or not they should invest their money into a new one instead (yes, even if that means I do not make squat). So if a shop owner is to lazy to run a full diagnostics on each computer (in a shop setting under normal circumstances) especially when it is so easy, then that is on them. I truly do believe that at that point, they are doing their customers an injustice.

As for the doctor analogy, try to get a better one that fits the situation better. We are talking about parts that can be easily tested within a day for pretty cheap . . . not even close to the same thing.

Last edited:
What about screen replacements, at least half the time the hard drives are also failing due to the nature of the accident. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that I am one of the only shops around here that will check for things like failing hard drives for screen replacements.

To tell the truth, since the implementation of SMS years ago, I barely ever see a drive failure due to a drop. Maybe 1 in 20 to be honest and even that is subjective. Drives are cheap and easily replaceable by users in many cases (even with current Macs).

To tell the truth, since the implementation of SMS years ago, I barely ever see a drive failure due to a drop. Maybe 1 in 20 to be honest and even that is subjective. Drives are cheap and easily replaceable by users in many cases (even with current Macs).

I see it all the time with PCs, at least half of the laptops with broken screens have failing hard drives. And you know what, it may not even be because of the drop, it could have already been failing, but dropping, hitting, knocking or any other abrupt incident like that just increases that chances. Either way, the HDD diagnostics is not something that should be neglected when doing a screen replacement . . . then again, if you never test the hard drive, then you are not likely to see the failing hard drive.

I see it all the time with PCs, at least half of the laptops with broken screens have failing hard drives. And you know what, it may not even be because of the drop, it could have already been failing, but dropping, hitting, knocking or any other abrupt incident like that just increases that chances. Either way, the HDD diagnostics is not something that should be neglected when doing a screen replacement . . . then again, if you never test the hard drive, then you are not likely to see the failing hard drive.

To each their own, but we do plenty of drive thru screen replacements because:

• These folks mainly want the machine back quickly. A full read test on even a small drive is 1-2 hours just sitting and testing.
  • Most folks know they dropped the computer and the consequences of doing so. They don't want to pay the associated cost of a diagnostic.
  • As I mentioned SMS helps a lot, especially with "dropping, hitting, knocking or any other abrupt incident like that just increases that chances".
Just saying how I see it. We make good money for quick turnaround, no nonsense, screen replacements and I honestly have yet to see any of these machines come back any time soon due to a failing drive after a screen replacement. I've got to be honest and say, with or without SMS implementation, a vast majority of consumer drive failures I see are due to prolonged heat exposure and barely ever do to a drop unless it was a really hard hit. But I guess I'm not entitled to disagree without lecture?

To each their own, but we do plenty of drive thru screen replacements because:

• These folks mainly want the machine back quickly. A full read test on even a small drive is 1-2 hours just sitting and testing.
  • Most folks know they dropped the computer and the consequences of doing so. They don't want to pay the associated cost of a diagnostic.
  • As I mentioned SMS helps a lot, especially with "dropping, hitting, knocking or any other abrupt incident like that just increases that chances".
Just saying how I see it. We make good money for quick turnaround, no nonsense, screen replacements and I honestly have yet to see any of these machines come back any time soon due to a failing drive after a screen replacement. I've got to be honest and say, with or without SMS implementation, a vast majority of consumer drive failures I see are due to prolonged heat exposure and barely ever do to a drop unless it was a really hard hit. But I guess I'm not entitled to disagree without lecture?

Well, I would have to agree that I do see less Mac HDDs fail with screen replacements, but I refuse to take the chance. Besides, we are talking about a few hours, not a few days.

As for the quick turn around, when it comes to break / fix, you would be amazed at how many people would rather have their computer fix correctly (not to say you are not, just saying in general) rather than quickly. That said, as long as you are not doing 4 to 6 week turn around times like BB, the customer is usually amazed and happy when you tell them you can have it back in a few days.

Last edited:
Back