Moved Win 7 drive to new pc, works, but...

ell

Reaction score
Hi a client had a win 7 box die on him with his 2tb drive still intact along with 1tb of data. He bought a new pc and had me swap the drives cuz the new one was only 500gb (Dell optiplex 3050) I used acronis true image to image the drive and then switched to ahci and put win 7 dell drivers in with universal restore to boot to it. I get to the log in screen with all the user icons, but keyboard and mouse non-functioning, not in safe mode either. They work fine til windows loads. How do I get the correct drivers installed, I know networking works cuz it did some updates initially. He wants to keep his installed programs otherwise I would just have done a clean install. I am able to boot into winpe to do edits, just not sure what to do. Will snappy driver work in winpe?

Ah, Windows 7 and its quaint lack of USB 3 support.

Before getting too involved, have you tried plugging the keyboard and mouse into USB 2 ports? That'll get you up and running to the point where you can install the USB 3 drivers, and after that all you have to do is reactivate Windows and Bob's your uncle.

Ah, Windows 7 and its quaint lack of USB 3 support.

Before getting too involved, have you tried plugging the keyboard and mouse into USB 2 ports? That'll get you up and running to the point where you can install the USB 3 drivers, and after that all you have to do is reactivate Windows and Bob's your uncle.
yeah, none of them work when windows loads.

I forsee many more issues with "new" computer running Win 7 on it. Is this one of the 7th gen intel processors?
You cant legally reuse the licence from the old install unless it was retail.
its retail

yup I thought it did till I saw a message that third gen i7 weren't compatible! agh, nuke and paving now, oh well it was a bit of a fun challenge but I lost.

That's why i asked. I remember reading that some of the newest Intel's only have support for W10 going forward. Have you ever looked at Z-Install for migration? I did xp and W8 and worked quite well for most apps. Some, like Office and Intuit, products either do not migrate properly or require re-registration.

That's why i asked. I remember reading that some of the newest Intel's only have support for W10 going forward. Have you ever looked at Z-Install for migration? I did xp and W8 and worked quite well for most apps. Some, like Office and Intuit, products either do not migrate properly or require re-registration.
never heard of it, you used it?

never heard of it, you used it?

Couple of times. Not the preferred way as, especially in the M$ ecosystem, if I can't do a straight image I prefer to do a clean install and load up the apps, etc. But that is more time consuming, thus costly. The app's not cheap but saves money time wise, just fire it up and check on it once in a while. The big problem is between OS versions which is the purpose of Z-Install.

Couple of times. Not the preferred way as, especially in the M$ ecosystem, if I can't do a straight image I prefer to do a clean install and load up the apps, etc. But that is more time consuming, thus costly. The app's not cheap but saves money time wise, just fire it up and check on it once in a while. The big problem is between OS versions which is the purpose of Z-Install.
this day is just going from bad to worse, my new fab's didn't create a configuration file when I backed up the 800+gb, and now when I went to recover it does nothing!!! agh

So you have the retail boxed CD in your hand and the key is in the box.?
yes, he brought it over. You want a pic? Sorry, it doesn't matter, I've already nuked and paved to win 10 and now I'm having data recovery issues, glad when this thing is outta here

yes, he brought it over. You want a pic?
Many people/techs don't really know the difference between Retail and System Builder OEM licensces.
I have had customers bring in the latter that they purchased with their custom buillt computer and I had to decline working on them.

Back