Migrating Outlook Express on XP to Outlook 2016 on Windows 10

AndrewFergus

Reaction score
Does anyone have a simple way to achieve a migration from Outlook Express on a Windows XP box to Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. This is a business customer believe it or not that has over 10 years of emails and has never done a backup.
We have setup the IMAP connection in Outlook and can see three years worth of mail but there are several Gigs still in Outlook Express. We installed Thunderbird on the XP box and imported everything from Outlook Express. Thunderbird was then installed on the Windows 10 computer but the files are MBOX and Outlook wants PSTs to import. There are stacks of threads online but they all seem to be hijacked by people selling dodgy looking email migration tools. Happy to purchase software if anyone can recommend one they have used.

If you have an old Outlook 2003 or 2007 (not sure about this one), you can install it on the XP box, then migrate the Outlook Express content to Outlook 2003.
Then, just export the PST and import it to your Outlook 2016.

I found an old trial Key for Office 2010, which I use for just such as situation Install Office Pro 2010 Trial, then migrate everything. If you have Fabs Autobackup, it streamlines everything once Outlook is configured on the source PC..

I did not talk about Fab's AutoBackup since it looks like Outlook 2016 has already been run on the target system. Fab's AutoBackup 6 restore works well against fresh Outlook installations. In this case, the result is unpredictable.

What I've done before:

Install Windows Live Mail on XP machine. Import Outlook Express into WLM.

Install WLM on new PC. Transfer over the email (fabs if you have it).

Export emails from WLM to Outlook.

This is a business customer believe it or not that has over 10 years of emails and has never done a backup.

I've used Windows Live mail as mentioned above successfully in the past. But seriously, 10 years & no backup? Charge a LOT - you don't want to encourage this type of behavior if this is going to be your customer going forward. Make sure you tell them how freaking lucky they were that this was even possible.

Thanks everyone for these ideas, we have installed Office 2010 on the XP and migrated from Outlook Express.
Just waiting for the 23Gig of mail on a machine with 1Gb RAM to migrate into Outlook and then we can do the migration.

I will be selling them Cloud Backup as I don't trust them to do a manual one as they have never had an issue and don't see the danger.

I have a fast laptop with XP copy O/E mail to it
then import with outlook I do this so I can continue doing other things on old XP computer
as I do all my work on site

Sorry this thread is old and I'm making adding to it but I'm having a similar issue but wanting to go to thunderbird. Is it pretty much the same procedure?

Thanks

Sorry this thread is old and I'm making adding to it but I'm having a similar issue but wanting to go to thunderbird. Is it pretty much the same procedure?

Thanks
If my memories are good, the most recent Thunderbird versions do not import Outlook Express data. I used to do that using Mozilla Thunderbird 15.x.
You will find it here : http://www.oldversion.com/windows/mozilla-thunderbird-15-0-1
After you install this on the XP box, an import wizard will show up at first launch. Just follow the steps and Outlook Express stuff should be there (except accounts passwords if I remember well). Then, you will be able to use tools like Fab's Autobackup to backup Thunderbird profile and restore it on the new machine. Then, feel free to update Thunderbird to its last version.

If my memories are good, the most recent Thunderbird versions do not import Outlook Express data. I used to do that using Mozilla Thunderbird 15.x.
You will find it here : http://www.oldversion.com/windows/mozilla-thunderbird-15-0-1
After you install this on the XP box, an import wizard will show up at first launch. Just follow the steps and Outlook Express stuff should be there (except accounts passwords if I remember well). Then, you will be able to use tools like Fab's Autobackup to backup Thunderbird profile and restore it on the new machine. Then, feel free to update Thunderbird to its last version.

That's awesome I have fabs. Do I install thunderbird before I restore the profile?

It worked very well just upgrading to windows 10. Just what i needed a very happy customer

Back