Export emails from MAC to a PC

acs

Reaction score
I have a customer who wants to move from an old MAC desktop to a Windows 10 / 11 PC. File transfer is not an issue. I have not been on site yet so I am not sure if the email account is IMAP. What is the best way to backup the emails & folders etc on the Mac and drop them into an email client on a PC? It seems that Thunderbird will import the Mbox from the Mac. Is this the way it is normally done? Thanks

You really need to find out what access protocol they've been using to their existing email account and its server. If it's either IMAP or Exchange, there is no need to do anything other than set up the account on the new device, as server-side protocols keep everything on the server and the client acts as nothing but a liaison to that server.

If they were using POP, that's a whole other (and potentially tedious) kettle of fish.

What are you looking at for a W10/11 client?

First thing I'd try is to log into the email account via webmail to see what's there. The vast majority of email providers added IMAP to POP even if they didn't advertise it. So it might be setup as POP on the Mac but will still have all the emails on the server. If that's the case you can just add the email to the email client and all is good. If not I'd just setup a temp outlook.com or gmail.com account on the Mac, assuming it's working. Copy the emails over to the new account on the Mac. Then setup the new account on the new computer email client as well as the existing email. The copy them back to the existing account.

Thanks both for these ideas. It looks like the job has been pushed 2 weeks down the line so I will see what happens when I get to site but at least I have some options now.

I have a customer who wants to move from an old MAC desktop to a Windows 10 / 11 PC.
File transfer is not an issue.
I have not been on site yet so I am not sure if the email account is IMAP.
What is the best way to backup the emails & folders etc on the Mac and drop them into an email client on a PC? It seems that Thunderbird will import the Mbox from the Mac. Is this the way it is normally done? Thanks

--My answer
in Mac Mail setup the same email as IMAP
Copy or move the local mail and folders via right click to then new Inbox/ for IMAP
I always use copy btw.

Back