Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

Beat me to it. This needs to be stickied.

Also in the "Holy Crap! I did not know that" category:
By the way, if you find this utility intriguing I recommend one additional Windows 10 tweak. By default, System Restore is turned off. If you re-enable this feature, Windows resumes the practice of automatically creating a restore point before installing each new batch of patches from Windows Update, making it easier to roll back an entire batch of updates while you investigate which one is troublesome.

:confused: Turned off? Great that is one more item I'll have to do on every Windows 10 system I see. Who's bright idea at M$ was that?

I've stickied the thread. Bryce may change it back to normal though.

I noticed that system restore was automatically turned off in the blog posting also.

Another thing to add to the mounting list of things to do, when 10 comes out and we work on it.

Well I just checked my system and System restore is already turned on. So I wonder if that is because I've updated this system from one of first builds or if Ed Bott is wrong on that?

Suppose we will find out for sure from Wed onwards. I've got 1 booked in, when their machine is due. Have another 4-5 waiting on me to say its ok to do.

How far we have come though. I remember not too long ago in a galaxy far far away, "MS System Restore? What a piece of ---! Can't MS do anything right!"

Indeed it is three years old - and since I couldn't find any reference to a version suitable for 1803, I posted to a three-year-old thread.

Bottom line, I guess, is that you don't know the answer to this one-day old question.

Cheers

Bob C

Well I just checked my system and System restore is already turned on. So I wonder if that is because I've updated this system from one of first builds or if Ed Bott is wrong on that?

It depends on the size of the drive I think and I don't know where the cutoff is. All the 120 GB drives I put fresh installs on have Restore turned off. But I remember a 1TB SSD install it was on.

Me bad!

I was going to say that the two are not the same but on closely reading what the original does and what the one you linked to does, I think they are the same.

Trouble is, each is for use after the event - which, of course, is better than nothing but not really what I'd wanted and what I'd misunderstood the orignal was able to do, which is restore how things used to be with Win7 and allow you to NOT install something prior to the install happening in the first place.

Thanks for the link - it may still be useful, despite my reservations.

Cheers

BobC

Back