M.2 Sata versus M.2 Pci-e

Ben Bessett

Reaction score
I recently picked up a the Latitude E7470... It has the pcie m.2 sata intel ssd but gets the typical sata III speeds... my question is if there is any chance getting a pcie drive like the samsung 950 which gets much greater speeds if my machine would support it... or if I am limited to the sata III speeds here.
The specs are such that this machine supports pci-e I believe... but I don't want to spend the money on the drive if it's not going to improve my read and write speeds.

I have the exact laptop. It has an M.2 2280 SSD in it and I get speeds of around 1500. What speeds are you getting out of your drive? I popped the back off of mine and mine doesn't have a space for an mSATA drive, just an M.2 2280.

No where close to that for me - the typical Sata III speeds... which is not bad but that is encouraging to hear that your getting those speeds... I maybe confusing m.2 and mSATA - Crystal disk marks gets 546 Read and only 286 write (See picture below)
The drive is an Intel SSDSCKGF256A5 SATA - the interface is Sata III very clearly.... can I get another drive that will take advantage of the pcie bus??? It's bugging me that I am getting these speeds even though the machine is fast... I have really been looking for the speeds like you have!
https://goo.gl/photos/8Z43h486UU3tSBvD6

Back