Windows 10 Error installing on NVME - New ASUS Prime Mobo

LordX

Reaction score
Hey all - trying to install Windows 10 on a new system build for a customer. When it gets finished copying the files during install, right before switching to installing features, it errors out "Windows could not set the offline locale etc etc".

Hardware: Asus Prime H410M-A, Samsung 500GB 970 NVME

Had this EXACT issue with virtually identical hardware 3 weeks ago, Asus Prime H410M-E mobo that time. But the error code was different, and would stop during the file copy process part of Win10 installation.

I tried the Samsung, AND I tried a different M.2 Drive, a Western Digital SATA M.2 1TB... both drives had the same error. (I even scanned both drives in the ASUS BIOS to see if there were bad sectors etc - both passed the extended test with no issues).

I figured the first time it was a bad M.2 slot on the motherboard - since plugging in a Samsung 860 EVO SATA drive worked just fine, and windows 10 installed no problem.

Now that I am getting similar problems installing win10 on a different motherboard - I am thinking there is a setting or something that the board does not like. Something I am missing....

Hoping someone else has run into this very odd issue. Tried googling, and I get such random results.

Update: Set the BIOS to Legacy - disabling all UEFI boot options - burned Win10 to DVD, and the install itself completed successfully.

HOWEVER, As soon as Win10 booted up, It is crashing and blue screening... I am going to attempt to see if I can get the Samsung nvme driver to install and see if that makes any difference.

This really makes me think there is a mobo setting or something that is wreaking havoc...

Even after Samsung NVME driver installed, still crashing. Going to put a reg SSD in..... and not buy this motherboard again... :(

Have you updated the BIOS?
Yeah, was the first step I tried. Same when it happened the first time.

Odd thing is, I built a few systems with this motherboard like a month ago - no issues.

Is there a limit on nvme from the CPU? Like a core i3 wouldn't run it well vs a core i5 or 7? Cuz I know the first system I built with this board had an i5. I am grasping at straws here I know.

Next build, I will get a totally different mobo, and see if I have problems with this same drive (even though it passes self tests).

You can do a tech support chat w/Asus - might be worth the time in case this is a known issue. Also, if the board is horked, that's the first step in getting an RMA anyway.

I remember a few headaches when we started using the B350s. I've got 3 B550 Pluses on my bench right now for a client build, using Samsung 970s. I'll post if we have any trouble.

Wait... I'm confused... You can't use Legacy boot with an NVME... it's not supported! You MUST have EFI boot to crank up one of those.

So if the install isn't booting EFI you're boned.

You can boot SATA M.2 or normal SATA legacy and EFI, but PCIe based NVME MUST be EFI.

Wait... I'm confused... You can't use Legacy boot with an NVME... it's not supported! You MUST have EFI boot to crank up one of those.

So if the install isn't booting EFI you're boned.

You can boot SATA M.2 or normal SATA legacy and EFI, but PCIe based NVME MUST be EFI.
Interesting - since it DID boot after installing legacy... and in fact got further than the EFI mode.

You MUST have EFI boot to crank up one of those.
No, it most cases you don't. There are some chipsets in the past that couldn't do it due to hardware limitations (often fixed by add-in modules with separate boot loaders or a BIOS update) - but if that were the case here, he wouldn't be seeing the drive in which to start the Windows install at all.

I have had random issues with those Asus prime boards as well.. I think their quality has taken a bit of a dive. From OP's description it sounds like a memory/memory management(board) issue.

Make sure to check the memory timings and voltages - don't assume the board is getting it right or that XMP is doing it justice!

No, it most cases you don't. There are some chipsets in the past that couldn't do it due to hardware limitations (often fixed by add-in modules with separate boot loaders or a BIOS update) - but if that were the case here, he wouldn't be seeing the drive in which to start the Windows install at all.

I have had random issues with those Asus prime boards as well.. I think their quality has taken a bit of a dive. From OP's description it sounds like a memory/memory management(board) issue.

Make sure to check the memory timings and voltages - don't assume the board is getting it right or that XMP is doing it justice!
I have the ram just at the default values - never even cranked up XMP. This is a grandma computer for emails and facebook.

Back