Reaction score
iPad 5th gen, battery replaced with new

it will only charge on certain chargers, currently I have here
Apple 10w charger - plugged in not charging
Joyroom quick charge 3 charger - plugged in not charging
wall socket with built in 2.1a USB - plugged in not charging
Samsung 2.1a - charges ok
Anker 60w 5 port charger - charges ok
have a couple of other "fast chargers" here as well and they don't work either.

Note I have a USB amp meter, and when it says plugged in not charging the amps being drawn will drop to .48a
All of the devices that charge it, will negotiate and charge at .98a

so I tested all of the chargers on my person phone (Note 10+) and they all delivery .98a at 5v except for the 2 that will work with the ipad, they will both negotiate a higher voltage and ampage than the others.

Have tried with different cables etc, and the one I consider the "go to" is a short 1m Anker cable which it won't even recognise is plugged in at all, the one currently being used to charge it is a supplier branded 3m cable which is quite thin in comparison to the Anker cable.
The Anker cable is confirmed working on another device by the way.

there was something real sticky stuck all over one of the speaker ports on the bottom but it doesn't appear to be in or around the port itself, the contacts look clean, but I have given them a bush and use Isoproply on them as well which made no difference.

Double check the wires under the battery connector to ensure you didn't bend one.

Get a tristar tester that will tell you immediately if you have a charging port / flex connector issue or tristar problem

Don't just use ISO for cleaning charging ports. ISO is awful at cleaning dried organic substances like blood, soda, juice, etc. Get a bottle of simple green which will just melt dry organic substance and then follow up with ISO to clean up the simple green.

Also as you're plugging it in, see if you can feel the port moving in and out, loose. Ipads have a nasty habit of the frame screens coming loose, allowing the port to slide into the tablet as you're trying to plug in a cable. When you change a battery or digi, always tighten those screws as they're almost always loose.

Back