I find it almost impossible to provide remote support for clients with Apple Products.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Sure iPhone is easy ... all that I really ever do is add mail, or explain how to install Outlook then add mail.

But MacBooks and iMacs .. .MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN getting people to install Splashtop or Teamviewer, then trying to get them to enable all the security settings like full disk access, screen recording, accessibility is DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE even though it literally walks you through it right on the screen.

I've spend upwards of 30-60 minutes JUST getting Teamviewer functional on an Apple system just to START working.

I've almost gotten to the point where I tell people they need to download Teamviewer and follow all the instructions before I will even call them.

How does everyone else handle this?

Just curious, but are you doing that support from a Mac on your end, or a PC?

Also, for the cohort, does the Mac not include something analogous to Quick Assist under Windows for "Mac to Mac" assistance? I'd actually be surprised if it didn't. In the PC world, the vast majority of what I need to do can be done with Quick Assist and since the user at the other end grants full access, I can do anything they can other than interact with UAC prompts, which they must do.

I have literally given up on Mac remote support. It's simply too cumbersome for most people to even consider. In general, they have no idea how to use their computers. Apple users are very "dumbed down" on how to accomplish even the simplest of tasks... and I blame iOS for making it that way.

Also, the amount of people that stop dead in their tracks and read me the UAC prompt... "Yes, hit YES" - "But it says it wants to make changes" - Ya, that's what we're doing!?
Like, you've never seen the UAC prompt before? Gee wiz, it's as common as drinking water for gosh sakes. *RANT over*

• Haha
Reactions: GTP
@timeshifter:

Thanks for the info. I do as little Mac work as possible, period. If it involves anything "complicated" there's another tech, sometimes seen visiting these parts, who is far more Mac literate (and likes working on/with them) than I am, so I refer out to her.

I never tried this, but another data recovery tech recommended it and has used it: https://www.jitbit.com/SCREENSHARING/. I think it'd be easier than installing software and adjusting security preferences. I'm curious to hear how it works if anyone tries it.
Security all over the place - then, allows browser to stream screen. Wow. Seems counter-intuitive from a security POV.

Reactions: GTP
I ended up using Rustdesk in the end, as was easiest for the user to do.
It is so frustrating though. Once user has figured out where to go.

One has to unlock privacy settings.
Sigh..can you enter your password
Install the App
Allow Access

Sigh..can you enter your password for eternity!

maxresdefault.jpg

I ended up using Rustdesk in the end, as was easiest for the user to do.
It is so frustrating though. Once user has figured out where to go.

One has to unlock privacy settings.
Install the App
Allow Access

Sigh..can you enter your password for eternity!

View attachment 16032

You forgot a step in that ...

"WAT PASSWORD? I DONT HAVE A PASSWORD"

"WAT PASSWORD? I DONT HAVE A PASSWORD"

Oh, yes you do, or you could not use that service . . . If you don't know it, we will need to reset it . . . [Add time, billable time, to do so . . . Lather, rinse, repeat as needed through each time a password is required that the user doesn't know. Make 'em log the new ones.]

enable all the security settings like full disk access, screen recording, accessibility is DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE even though it literally walks you through it right on the screen.
Not sure about Teamviewer but with Splashtop they provide you the code. You connect and can then watch the screen to direct them on what to do.

I don't generally offer remote support unless I've seen the computer and have preinstalled my remote support application on it (Splashtop) but this is doubly true for Macs.

Not sure about Teamviewer but with Splashtop they provide you the code. You connect and can then watch the screen to direct them on what to do.
If I absolutely have to remote into a Mac that I haven't seen before, I'll try to remember this! Unfortunately with my clients it wouldn't help much. Whenever I have to walk a client through something, I always follow the steps on my own computer. I describe EXACTLY where the button or whatever is, their fricking mouse cursor can be right next to it and everything and they always say "it's not there." Yes it fricking is! Use your eyes! The stupidity and incompetence of some clients is INFURIATING! This is one of the reasons why I jacked up my pricing for remote support and I charge by time, not by the job. If it takes them longer, it just means I'm making more money, so it doesn't upset me as much anymore.

It's super annoying, I made a video awhile ago to show people how the security works. It's gotten worse since I posted this but I still manage to get in at some point lol. Might be 5+ minutes but I get in. Or....I just use Zoom. Zoom now is on Apple's radar for screen sharing, so again ,more security BS.

Still have to get into the settings to enable screen recording or when they give you the code you can login but you can't see anything.

It's super annoying, I made a video awhile ago to show people how the security works. It's gotten worse since I posted this but I still manage to get in at some point lol. Might be 5+ minutes but I get in. Or....I just use Zoom. Zoom now is on Apple's radar for screen sharing, so again ,more security BS.

macOS has redesigned the System Preferences panel. For years it was a consistent layout. Now it's more like an iPhone / iPad with a vertical layout and arrangement of choices. I think it changed with macOS Ventura with is 13. Sonoma is out now which is 14. Your video looks like Monterey with was version 12.

Still have to get into the settings to enable screen recording or when they give you the code you can login but you can't see anything.
Not what I last saw. Enter the code they provide you and I can see the screen. Just can't do anything. But I am able to tell them what to do. But I do have a paid sub.

Back