How do you use Quickbooks & CRM?

freedomit

Reaction score
We are having a major review of our business process's and procedures part of which also includes QuickBooks and CRM, and I really need some advice as were going round in circles.

Background
We are a small support company of two/three people, we look after a range of clients from single users to companies of 50 employees. We do our own admin, accounts, purchasing etc. Currently we keep very limited stock as were not a shop (ram, hdd, psu etc) so everything we buy is for a job/customer.

Current Setup - Accounts
We currently use QuickBooks 2012 as our accounts package, we heavily rely on a feature where when entering items on a bill we can assign them to a customer. At the end of the month (we are changing this to bi weekly) we bill all our contract clients for there monthly support and purchases by adding on the items and applying the mark up. This method works ok but has a few flaws...Firstly if the item came out of stock or wasn't purchased from a supplier then there is a chance it wont get invoiced. Secondly we cant use reoccurring invoices for things like hosted exchange/cloud backup as it wont pull through the time and costs assigned to the customer. Thirdly, I hyave to manually check the client quotes to know what the sale price was.

Others things worth mentioning is that we don't list every item individually in QuickBooks, ie we have an item called 'HP Desktop' and then change the description on the bill to be the model number and spec rather than have lots of different model items. Also we currently don't use the stock option in QuickBooks as we keep so little, we created a customer called 'STOCK' and we assign the purchase to that customer if its for stock. When we sell the item we go back to the bill and change it to the customer that purchased it.

Current Setup - CRM
We use the cloud version of Connectwise as our CRM/Helpdesk but have made the decision to move away and our contract expires in Feb. We found the hosted version very slow for the first 4 months and this made it hard to get used to. We also found that it was targeted to larger companies with dedicated departments not small companies like us where individuals have multiple roles. The mobile app looked good to start with but when you actually come to use it you find its limited. One major reason for going to Connectwise was to make our invoicing procedure easier but the QuickBooks integration just doesn't work for us. Without the procurement module (which was never mentioned during the demo's) you have to enter every item into QuickBooks but also duplicate that in Connectwise otherwise it cant/wont go on an invoice. We did try for a while creating the time invoice in Connectwise, batching them into QuickBooks then adding the items purchased but the whole process was just a mess. Currently I just manually create all the invoices in QuickBooks using the time/ticket reports from Connectwise.

The next step..
So after realising Connectwise isn't the solution we have been looking at other packages. Autotask have done a demo and although similar to Connectwise it looks much cleaner, faster and includes the procurement module. The downside is its a lot of money for a small business and im still not sure its the right solution for us a the moment. I then looked a MHelpdesk, I loved the fact that within minutes I felt like I knew everything about the software and it was so simple to use and had a two way QuickBooks sync for things like items. The main issue is that it still doesn't solve all our QuickBooks issues, for ad-hoc customers it would work great, do the job and send the invoice. But we look after lots of contract customers who buy stuff like toner during the month, how would we invoice that? Create a ticket with those items on? Also for people billed for monthly services? It would create a mish mash of invoices in MHelpdesk and QuickBooks. The other downside is it doesn't really handle contract clients very well but that is something we could work around.

One thing that I think is clear is that whatever we choose to do we need to change the way we use QuickBooks. We either go Autotask which is expensive but would take over all of the procurement and just use QuickBooks as a ledger, or we go for an OpenSource Ticket system and just manually invoice the time on tickets every month which is time consuming.

I would be interested to know how other people use QuickBooks to invoice for ad-hoc, contracts, purchases, monthly services etc and not only what CRM/Ticket system you use but how you integrate it with QuickBooks?

Thanks in advance.

We're similar to you...we focus on SMB clients, monthly services, very small inventory.

We use a combo of mHelpdesk, and Quickbooks.
Still do all our actual quotes and invoices out of Quickbooks.
We use mHelp to track tech notes, billable hours, or unbilled hours for monthly clients, product sales (service request...materials).

In mHelp when we close a ticket for a client, we assign it to our office manager/book keeper...change the status to "Ready to Invoice"..and she bills them out of Quickbooks, changing the status of the ticket in mHelp to Closed...Invoiced.

Similar to you for desktops for example..just a category, we fine tune the details in the quote/invoice of QB.

Prices frequently changing as far as our cost, and sales price...yeah it creates more work in QB but it's part of the job.

Thanks for your reply, it really helps.

One thing during the MHelpdesk training was always edit invoices in MHelpdesk never in QB as it will break the sync. But I think the best way to work might be to create the invoice in MHelpdesk, batch it to QB and then add any products/items/costs onto the invoice, it will break the sync and MHelpdesk invoices wont be accurate but we will only use it to batch the time through to QB.

A quick question if I may, I haven't found a way to round up time to the nearest block, ie 23 minutes onsite becomes 30mins onsite. How do you handle that?

We use CommitCRM and Quickbooks., switched from using Connectwise and "Our Accountant" which was several years ago - haven't looked back.

Just a generic entry for hardware and such and edit it as we see fit. Things are ever-changing, and we deal with it as it comes.

How many employees do you have? What is the start up cost for Autotask? We've been using AT for 3-4 years with only two techs. I still have the same monthly fee from day one. Couldn't live without it. It makes tracking MSP clients, contracts, and break/fix clients so much easier. We don't even use it to it's full potential. QB integration works perfectly for us.

We use a separate work order solution called New Way Service for our residential drop off clients. They too have a hosted solution which is affordable. Never looked at it though.

I'm using whmcs which is geared for website hosting mainly but works for us.

With whmcs, you get the following main things plus more.

Recurring billing
Ticketing system
lite crm (to do list)
credit card / paypal integration
fraud detection
Project hours addon

There is a quickbooks addon as well but I don't use it. What I do is simply have a single "customer" account for whmcs in quickbooks. Whatever sales data I have for whmcs, it goes into quickbooks as a single customer.

Whmcs is very reasonably priced and you can have the software on your servers if you like. You are looking at about $18US per month or you can buy it outright.

Current Setup - CRM
We use the cloud version of Connectwise as our CRM/Helpdesk but have made the decision to move away and our contract expires in Feb. We found the hosted version very slow for the first 4 months and this made it hard to get used to. We also found that it was targeted to larger companies with dedicated departments not small companies like us where individuals have multiple roles. The mobile app looked good to start with but when you actually come to use it you find its limited. One major reason for going to Connectwise was to make our invoicing procedure easier but the QuickBooks integration just doesn't work for us. Without the procurement module (which was never mentioned during the demo's) you have to enter every item into QuickBooks but also duplicate that in Connectwise otherwise it cant/wont go on an invoice. We did try for a while creating the time invoice in Connectwise, batching them into QuickBooks then adding the items purchased but the whole process was just a mess. Currently I just manually create all the invoices in QuickBooks using the time/ticket reports from Connectwise.

The next step..
So after realising Connectwise isn't the solution we have been looking at other packages. Autotask have done a demo and although similar to Connectwise it looks much cleaner, faster and includes the procurement module. The downside is its a lot of money for a small business and im still not sure its the right solution for us a the moment. I then looked a MHelpdesk, I loved the fact that within minutes I felt like I knew everything about the software and it was so simple to use and had a two way QuickBooks sync for things like items. The main issue is that it still doesn't solve all our QuickBooks issues, for ad-hoc customers it would work great, do the job and send the invoice. But we look after lots of contract customers who buy stuff like toner during the month, how would we invoice that? Create a ticket with those items on? Also for people billed for monthly services? It would create a mish mash of invoices in MHelpdesk and QuickBooks. The other downside is it doesn't really handle contract clients very well but that is something we could work around.

One thing that I think is clear is that whatever we choose to do we need to change the way we use QuickBooks. We either go Autotask which is expensive but would take over all of the procurement and just use QuickBooks as a ledger, or we go for an OpenSource Ticket system and just manually invoice the time on tickets every month which is time consuming.

I would be interested to know how other people use QuickBooks to invoice for ad-hoc, contracts, purchases, monthly services etc and not only what CRM/Ticket system you use but how you integrate it with QuickBooks?

Thanks in advance.

Man...thanks for that info....I had a webinar with a guy from Quosal, who then also introduced me to a sales rep at ConnectWise.

Glad to know of those issues with ConnectWise up front.

PS, not sure if anyone has looked into it, but while Quosal looks pretty cool, it is stupid expensive. If I wrote like a dozen large proposals a month, it might be worth it, but not for the volume I'm currently doing.

I've had it on my list for way too long to look into MHelpDesk....why can't you just do your recurring billing/contracts/parts in QB and leave MHelp totally out of the equation?

Man...thanks for that info....I had a webinar with a guy from Quosal, who then also introduced me to a sales rep at ConnectWise.

Glad to know of those issues with ConnectWise up front.

PS, not sure if anyone has looked into it, but while Quosal looks pretty cool, it is stupid expensive. If I wrote like a dozen large proposals a month, it might be worth it, but not for the volume I'm currently doing.

I've had it on my list for way too long to look into MHelpDesk....why can't you just do your recurring billing/contracts/parts in QB and leave MHelp totally out of the equation?

Quickbooks doesn't do recurring billing, only one off invoicing (manual invoicing). Maybe the online version does though not sure.

Quickbooks doesn't do recurring billing, only one off invoicing (manual invoicing). Maybe the online version does though not sure.

Ah, yes the online version does recurring billing. I moved to it (QB online) several months ago.

Qbooks

We use Quickbooks only as back end accounting. Basic monthly totals, quarterly reports, year end etc. All day to day is either done in mHelpdesk or Freshbooks. We are trying to consolidate all into mHelpdesk which has recurring billing built in.

We used to use Quickbooks to enter all customers, invoices etc but it was waaaay to cumbersome. Where it really shines is pure straight accounting, with totals entered in either weekly or monthly based on how your CPA prefers to set it up.

For day to day stuff mHelpdesk works great. I've been trying to get them to incorporate a more complete POS module which maybe one day they will. If they had a solid POS built in then it would pretty much be the cats behind for day to day stuff.

The solution we used before MHD was MerchantOS (now lightspeed cloud) plus Freshbooks, plus Qbooks on the back end. This worked great but MOS is more POS and less service tracking so MHD was a better fit. Plus MHD does recurring invoicing and MOS does no invoicing.

MHD does invoicing pretty good too and it seems to be getting a little more like Freshbooks which to me is the gold standard for pure invoicing.

Ive went through the same exersize as the OP did. We settled on QB/CommitCRM. Commit is ok to good. QB rocks. We are a very small 4 person operation. Commit is seamless with QB. Also FYI QB does do reoccurring payments its under receive payments -> payments tab -> setup reoccurring payments.

hope it helps.

I use QB Pro - Started with 2010, upgraded to 2013 recently.
For reoccurring charges you can do Memorized Transactions.
I have all my monthly agreements set to automagically create the invoice on the 25th of every month.
In fact, my QB handles the monthly invoices for agreements and my CommitCRM keeps track of overages and bills out accordingly.

Back