Guide to using ddrescue

Please excuse me if I am stating something that was already mentioned...I didn't see it when I read through the thread.

For those with MacOS systems, you can rename your dd image file with the extension .dmg and then simply double click on it to mount the file with Mac OS.

With macs being a minority, I can see this as being something over looked. If I use ddrescue to make the image, then I will use ddrescue to transfer the image.

I am no fan of apple products, but that one idea almost makes me want a mac, just being able to rename it then drag and drop lol.

Please excuse me if I am stating something that was already mentioned...I didn't see it when I read through the thread.

For those with MacOS systems, you can rename your dd image file with the extension .dmg and then simply double click on it to mount the file with Mac OS.

That's a great tip. And yet another good use for the donated iMacs I'm still learning about.

Hi. Just wondering with the changed to ddrescue, parted magic and even the ddrescue-gui option if this guide is still accurate or if there are changes we need to know about. I am getting ready to start practicing to be prepared to use it when I need it.
Thanks

I would LOVE some help understanding what is happening with my drive and ddrescue. I can post some screen shots of what's happening...dont know how many you want. I have tried a lot of different things. Don't know if I should include what I THINK is happening of just the facts so I'll try to be careful.

I have a 1TB external that holds everything (it was my backup and I forgot to backup the backup and now it's all I have). Recently I plugged it in after using it at work (Windows 10) and my laptop (Windows 10) said Windows could not recognize the decide.

I did a little research to discover what I THINK is a lost partition table. I found one program that can find some data on the drive, however it only finds the data that came from the manufacturer of the drive (the read me files and .bmp etc) and none of my own files. This I believe reaffirms my thoughts that the computer can't see the other partition on the drive (if there are in fact multiple partitions).

I ran across a great site explaining ddrescue using parted magic. So I downloaded, followed along, and after 4 days my ddrescue finished the transfer from dev/sdd to dev/sdc last night. Here's what is weird....according to the report there are zero errors and the data is 100% recovered, but I still can't see anything on the drive. Please help me understand what to do from here!

Back