G Suites vs Google Apps legacy vs ??

BO Terry

Reaction score
I currently have a Google Apps legacy account for my email and have a client setup with their own account as well. It has been a good solution for me for several years but I want to be sure I'm protecting myself and my clients. In a recent conversation, a colleague told me about emails and Personally Identifiable Information (PII). I'm digging through trying to find if Google Apps legacy meet's PII standards. If not, how about G Suites Basic or Business...or another solution? I don't currently have any clients in medical so HIPPA is not an issue but I do see HIPPA connected to PII in many of my searches. If this really is a big deal (again, I'm just looking into it and it's a lot to dig through) I have a few clients who do property management so it seems PII standards/compliance would impact them. Thanks!

Update: After contacting G Suites, it appears that all 3 levels of their paid email (basic, business, and enterprise) meet PII compliance standards. Basic starts at $5 monthly per user (but does allow alias accounts for each user). Another option I have considered is an O 365 account.

According to G Suite Administrator Help, they are complaint but you need to sign a Busiess Associate Agreement with Google
... G Suite customers who are subject to HIPAA and wish to use G Suite with PHI must sign a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Google.

Back