Fab's Autobackup only copying a few hundred MB

JohnDoe1980

Reaction score
@fabs Hello all. I've been using fabs when cloning doesn't work and for a while it was going well but lately at least half the time I use it, it only copies a few hundred megabytes even though I know there are many GB in the user folders so I've been having to copy the user folders over manually and this isn't ideal as it's not copying settings over like fab's does. Anyone run into this? Looking forward to your response. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Are you running it from an account that has admin privledges and giving it admin access? Many aspects of fabs require admin access.

Also, if the disk is having issues with reading registry that will cause issues as Fabs is dependant on registry reads. (I think)

Are you running it from an account that has admin privledges and giving it admin access? Many aspects of fabs require admin access.

Also, if the disk is having issues with reading registry that will cause issues as Fabs is dependant on registry reads. (I think)
Interesting. Yes I'm definitely running it from an admin account, however I have never right clicked to run as admin.

I'm not sure how I'd know if it were the registry.

Yes read the logs, also any errors will be displayed in the GUI as well when completed. It will note x amount of errors/ unable to transfer etc.

My first thought is if you have reviewed the pages of backup options? Quite a few options to review on what is being backed up from the personal account as well as other accounts that are on the machine and other files that are not under that account. I have missed stuff with FABs before just because the defaults did not look for what I wanted. Had I read through all the options I would have checked a few more boxes and had everything the first time.

My first thought is if you have reviewed the pages of backup options? Quite a few options to review on what is being backed up from the personal account as well as other accounts that are on the machine and other files that are not under that account. I have missed stuff with FABs before just because the defaults did not look for what I wanted. Had I read through all the options I would have checked a few more boxes and had everything the first time.
Well, for instance, it checks things like pictures, videos, music and documents which is where the bulk of the data is so I'm not sure why it only copied a partial amount of those folders.

Are the files stored in OneDrive? I see many instances where the data is stored in OneDrive and NOT stored on the local drive. In these cases you will end up with a smaller amount of data than FABS initially says it will backup.

Are the files stored in OneDrive? I see many instances where the data is stored in OneDrive and NOT stored on the local drive. In these cases you will end up with a smaller amount of data than FABS initially says it will backup.
This. It will not backup items on OneDrive that are NOT locally stored. Those files will be "restored" when the user logs into Onedrive. What you are seeing is basically a shortcut to the file, not the actual file. If the file has a cloud in the status line in Windows Explorer the file is only online. A green check in a solid white circle means a local copy of the file is ON this device and a solid green circle means that OneDrive will always update the local file and maintain it on the device even if you are offline.

Ok, I'm doing another backup today. Customer brought in an old laptop and a brand new one. They want the new one to look just like the old one. I would prefer to clone the drive but I have had no success cloning to M.2 drives lately. I ran fabs and it copied only 78mb worth of data.

Have you written to @fabs with your order identifier seeking support? If you have purchased Pro, and you're within your support period based on what length of time you purchased (and when), I have never seen this product's developer give anything other than stellar support.

If you have not purchased Pro and are still using the trial, or failed to enter your order identifier and email address used at purchase into the software to unlock the full feature set, then what you're getting is characteristic of the trial version.

Have you written to @fabs with your order identifier seeking support? If you have purchased Pro, and you're within your support period based on what length of time you purchased (and when), I have never seen this product's developer give anything other than stellar support.

If you have not purchased Pro and are still using the trial, or failed to enter your order identifier and email address used at purchase into the software to unlock the full feature set, then what you're getting is characteristic of the trial version.
Ok, you were right. I was using the trial version. I have the PRO version and now it's copying more (10GB) which still seems low. I'm going to check the user folder and see if it's missed anything and if so I'll followup with fabs. Thanks for the advice.

I have the PRO version and now it's copying more (10GB) which still seems low.
Highly unususl to not get everything if you've selected the options to do so. Are you sure there's not more than 10GB of data with a manual inspection of the file system?
Maybe something went wrong with your FabsAutobackup order?
Have you PM'd Fabrice to check?

Highly unususl to not get everything if you've selected the options to do so. Are you sure there's not more than 10GB of data with a manual inspection of the file system?
Maybe something went wrong with your FabsAutobackup order?
Have you PM'd Fabrice to check?
I checked it side by side with the user folder and it appears it got everything. I'm guessing that program files and appdata account for the bulk of the data. But yes, videos, pictures, documents etc all look the same as they should be. I have not PM'd them yet as I wanted to first verify what's going on. Thanks for your response @GTP. :)

Reactions: GTP
It looks like I'm coming after battle is finished (time zones...).
So there are several reasons why Fab's would not grab everything :
- Running trial (indeed)
- Data one OneDrive with default settings : by default, files remains online and not physically on the drive despite Windows shows that space is used locally even if that's not true.
- Source drive is so damaged Fab's could not set the permissions it needs to grab all data.

That's the first ones I think about, there may be some others.

Back