Fab's Autobackup and OneDrive

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha @fabs. I'm having an issue with Restore when using AutoBackup with OneDrive. I looked at the user guide and did not find any info there to help me.

I'm migrating a customer from old Win 10 PC to new Win 11 PC. Using latest version of FAB.

Customer has files in BOTH of these directories:

C:\Users\Jane\Documents
and
C:\Users\Jane\OneDrive\

The Jane\OneDrive directory, interestingly enough, does not have a 'Documents' subdirectory, but just a few files in it. So, the customer's actual Documents are stored in Jane\Documents

FABs backs up everything with no problem. However, I'm having an issue with the restore. First attempt on the restore, OneDrive was up and running on the new PC and the 'Check All' checkbox was checked in the FAB GUI. After running the restore, I found that there were no documents in the Jane\Documents folder, and all the documents that should have been there were in Jane\OneDrive\Documents.

Deleted the OneDrive\Documents folder, waiting for OneDrive to finish syncing (a couple of hours), then disabled OneDrive in Task Manager Startup, and rebooted the machine. Ran FAB again, this time I un-checked the box for OneDrive items. Once again, all the files that were in Jane\Documents were placed in Jane\OneDrive\Documents.

Is there a way to have the files from Jane\Documents end up in Jane\Documents on the new PC?

P.S. She has more than 5GB of documents so I can't just leave them in the OneDrive\Documents folder (maximum storage size reached).

Mahalo in advance for your assistance!

Harry Z

This does not sound like a Fab's issue to me.

In a first place, since this is a free OneDrive account with limited capacity, the best thing would have been to not fall into Microsoft trap when creating user profile on the new install. By default, it drives you through a process that will make you store things like desktop, documents and pictures onto OneDrive. Like many, this person has more than the 5 GB worth of data and OneDrive gets full because of these folders redirections.
Since this user profile seems to be brand new, you may better delete it, recreate it without setting up OneDrive to "backup" personal folders and finally restore data like you would usually do.

Aloha @fabs. Thanx for the response. FAB does the 'right' thing (from my perspective) with the Desktop folder, but moves Documents and Pictures into the OneDrive folder. In my initial post I was working from memory. I restored the machine to the point before running FAB and ran the restore again. The restore was run OneDrive disabled (no OneDrive.exe task running) and with the OneDrive checkbox un-checked in the FAB options.

So, here's a different format presenting how things changed from the old to new PC.

Old PC New PC
Desktop folder: Jane\Desktop Jane\Desktop (note: no Desktop folder created in OneDrive folder)
Documents folder: Jane\Documents Jane\OneDrive\Documents
Pictures folder: Jane\Pictures Jane\OneDrive\Pictures

Why would FAB do something different with Desktop vs. the other two folders? I can probably keep the customer's machine for a day or so more to run tests if you need me to do this.

Mahalo for taking a look at this.

Harry Z

Simple :
- on the original machine, all the user folders are local with no redirection, so, they're not in the OneDrive folder
- on the new machine, when setting up the new account, the "backup my files" (or something similar) option has been selected so, desktop, documents and pictures folder are now redirected to OneDrive sub folders. I guess in this case, desktop folder has not been redirected. For sure, the others two have.
Fab's will follow current folders paths so it will restore data to their current location into OneDrive. This is why a UserName\Documents will go to a UserName\OneDrive\Documents folder since Documents folder's location is set to OneDrive\Documents at Windows level.
You need to change those folders location to their defaults. Here's a way to do that : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...irecting/0418e2b6-091d-434f-836b-2db73b85612e

Last edited:
Simple :
- on the original machine, all the user folders are local with no redirection, so, they're not in the OneDrive folder
- on the new machine, when setting up the new account, the "backup my files" (or something similar) option has been selected so, desktop, documents and pictures folder are now redirected to OneDrive sub folders. I guess in this case, desktop folder has not been redirected. For sure, the others two have.
Fab's will follow current folders paths so it will restore data to their current location into OneDrive. This is why a UserName\Documents will go to a UserName\OneDrive\Documents folder since Documents folder's location is set to OneDrive\Documents at Windows level.
You need to change those folders location to their defaults. Here's a way to do that : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...irecting/0418e2b6-091d-434f-836b-2db73b85612e

OK. Got it. Mahalo for the assistance!

Back