Endpoint vs M365 backup

Fred Claus

Reaction score
Just putting this out there because I'm overthinking things. I have clients who have backups on their computers such as Acronis or Carbonite. When it comes to their Documents, Pictures, videos, and Desktop though the path is C:\Users\NAME\OneDrive\Desktop

Am I correct in saying that they don't really need the desktop backup such as Acronis because there is nothing on their computer that isn't also in Onedrive right? If they did an M365 backup solution that would do the same thing right?

I still have some people paying for my Backblaze cloud backup in addition to having their stuff redirected to OneDrive.

Why? Because certain people don't put things where they are supposed to put them, so Backblaze is there as an additional layer of defense of clients stupidity.

But technically, for your normal people, redirecting to OneDrive is usually fine, if you want to double up on security pay DropSuite another $3 a month to backup the OneDrive.

The client would then have to FAIL A LOT to mess stuff up. Like they delete something important and don't mention it for 5 years.

Also take a look at the backup. A lot of cloud backups like Carbo and Acronis will skip the OneDrive folder entirely. I know BB does.

OneDrive will get everything in their Documents, Desktop, and Pictures folders. Assuming that it has been fully activated...and you've confirmed that those "backup folders" were turned on . In earlier versions of OneDrive those folders didn't auto turn on. I've still seen some computers with new versions that still aren't turned on. Which is one of the reasons I control this from InTune...to force all the settings down into all my clients computers.

3rd party backup just backs up "what is on the local disk". So what happens to the files that don't live locally, but are up in the cloud. Ya know..that "save space" setting in OneDrive? yeah, carbonite or whatever ain't gettin' those files. Unless they have some service that traverses OneDrive and drills up into the cloud to grab those files and pull 'em down. But I don't see that complexity happening.

However, you likely want to use a 3rd party cloud backup service to backup the 365 tenants. Just in case. The native 365 restore functions are handy for single files or low amounts of files or folders. But for really large restores...like tons of folders under a Sharepoint library...you'd better clear the next couple of days of your time. And they don't allow granular restore of mailbox items very well. Those things are much easier via DropSuite or Datto SaaS.

Also take a look at the backup. A lot of cloud backups like Carbo and Acronis will skip the OneDrive folder entirely. I know BB does.
I'm running into that with iDrive360. I'm testing that out and it seems like thousands of files are missing from my OneDrive folders. Even though they claim they do back that up.

Back