AOL Mail in Outlook

HCHTech

Reaction score
I hate this stuff sometimes.

I've got a husband/wife civil engineer client. They have been using AOL for their email since forever and are not interested in changing unless there is no other option.

So fine, they know the risks. Everything is all well and good until we got new computers this week. Setting up Outlook 2019 to get their AOL email has been....problematic.

The husband only had a small amount of email & folders, and everything worked pretty-much right away for his account. After the initial sync all was good.

The wife, however has 50 or 60 folders and about 3GB of mail, all told. I initially copied the Outlook profile & data from the old computer with Fabs. After 48 hours, the initial sync was still running, though and appeared to be stuck - the message count was a couple of hundred shy from the total, but stopped incrementing. Maybe a problem with a message or something screwed things up.

So, I blew away the profile and created it from scratch. This time, the sync finished after a couple of hours, and it looked like it was working ok. It took about 3 minutes to do a send/receive, but that could be worse. Unfortunately, we discovered that we could not delete messages. The settings were there to purge messages when switching folders, and there was a single Trash folder synced with AOL. This apparently replaces the standard Deleted Items folder in Outlook.

So I figured we could just log onto AOL's web interface and empty the Trash folder there. Unfortunately, there is no visible Trash folder on the web interface - only "Recently Deleted". It looks like they've hidden or eliminated the Trash folder. I emptied the Recently Deleted folder bit that only had a dozen messages in it. The Trash folder that is created in Outlook with the new profile has a few thousand messages in it along with several folders that the client confirmed she had deleted in the past.

When we try to empty the trash folder in Outlook, we get the error message that we don't have permission to modify this folder. A bit of research and this appears to be an Outlook thing, and the suggestions I found were to change the Root Folder in the Outlook profile from blank to INBOX. So I did this, but Outlook wouldn't open after this change. So...I started again with a fresh profile, this time specifying INBOX as the root folder. Outlook opened, but only synced the Inbox - none of the other client-created folders (or the Trash folder) would sync or appear in the Outlook list of IMAP folders available to sync.

I think I might be in no-mans land with a profile that has the Trash Folders left over from when AOL had those as visible folders, but not that AOL has changed, there is nowhere for them to sync.

So I'm back to square one. I have a profile that mostly works, but I can't delete any messages or empty the over-full trash folder.

Back