Error 80004004-40019 in Windows Update

Calx

Reaction score
I've got Win 7 64bit laptop on the bench.

Hadn't done any updates since June.
Seems the customer has cancelled out of a windows 10 upgrade so getting a message in Updates saying Windows 10 failed to install and a big annoying red X

I've googled about and so far only solution I have found is reinstall.

I've reset Win Updates with the fixit, D7ii and finally UVK (the last one actually worked) then emptied the cache.
Ran WSUS - did some updates.

But the red x persists. It seems to still check for updates and install them which is something at least.

Anyone come across this and got a solution please?

Thanks

Or,
Try and finish the Win 10 upgrade, then roll back.
Better make sure you have an image in case thins go bad.
If all else fails:
Save the data
Clean install Win 10 or 7
Also, have you checked the hard drive condition?
I've seen a few failed Win 10 Upgrades with bad hard drives.

Have you tried GWX Control panel with various options to clear the Win 10 crap?
I remember doing something similar.
tried that thanks.

Ended up doing a remote session with MS for 3 HOURS!!! They couldn't fix it either. They Suggested turn off updates, reinstall 7 or free upgrade to 10. Neither was an option for this particular customer, so the error message remains and updates have to be done manually.

Not an ideal solution but if the customer won't N&P I couldn't have done anymore.

tried that thanks.

Ended up doing a remote session with MS for 3 HOURS!!! They couldn't fix it either. They Suggested turn off updates, reinstall 7 or free upgrade to 10. Neither was an option for this particular customer, so the error message remains and updates have to be done manually.

Not an ideal solution but if the customer won't N&P I couldn't have done anymore.
I'd also be suggesting switching off updates

I know this is an old thread, but I signed up for the forum specifically to post the fix I found for this because I couldn't find anything anywhere on the Internet on how to fix it. But before you say to yourself, "Wow. This guy is really smart!", I found it the same way Dr. Frank N Furter discovered the secrets of life, by accident.

Long story short, I don't think this error is being "generated" each time, more like it is being loaded from the registry. After trying several things to fix it I decided to go into the registry and set the bit that stops the Windows 10 update from being allowed, but while I was in there I found a strange registry Key I had not seen before named "Roolback". When I went into it I found 2 entries, one with the data "8004004", the other with the data "00040019". If you delete the leading zeros, put those together and add a dash, you get your error code, "80004004-40019". So I exported, then deleted the "Rollback" entry and the error went away.

Here is the export of what I deleted so you can see what was there and where it was:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback\10.0.10586.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback\10.0.10586.0\0000]
"ErrorCode"=dword:80004004
"LocationCode"=dword:00040019
"TimeStamp"=hex(b):58,ce,1a,15,31,7a,d1,01

So, the quick solution to this problem is to paste the following line into an elevated command line:

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback /f

Nice sleuthing! I love fixes like this - awesome.
To be fair, it was a total accident that I found it. I was looking to just set the bit to tell windows that it can't download Windows 10 so it stopped trying, a down and dirty workaround at best. I am pretty good at what I do, and I would really like this to be one of those times when I'm totally awesome (I've had a few), but unfortunately it's just not. The error code was staring me in the eye right there in the registry, so it didn't exactly take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that was the culprit when it's spelled out right in front of you.

I think I just ran into this problem again for the second time in a week but with a different error. This time the error was 1900101-2000c, another really strange error code. So I checked the registry and sure enough there was a "Rollback" entry there too. Here is an export of that, if anyone is interested:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback\10.0.10586.104]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\Rollback\10.0.10586.104\0000]
"ErrorCode"=dword:c1900101
"LocationCode"=dword:0002000c
"TimeStamp"=hex(b):5c,1a,69,32,a6,b2,d1,01
You will note that, once again, the error code I am seeing is split between two different entries, ErrorCode and LocationCode.

After deleting this registry entry, Windows checked for updates with no issues, but I think this one might have additional problems as it installs updates every time the computer is shut down, suggesting the updates are reverting. The 2 computers I had with the other error did install updates normally even though the code was present every time you opened Windows Update.

I've got Win 7 64bit laptop on the bench.

Hadn't done any updates since June.
Seems the customer has cancelled out of a windows 10 upgrade so getting a message in Updates saying Windows 10 failed to install and a big annoying red X

Have a desktop in now with the same issues. Working through it today.

Yeah, I only intended to come here to post the fix for this, but once I got here I find I'm really enjoying the place. It's easy to remember if I actually want to come back every day.

Good luck. Delete the registry key and the error should just go away.

I'm surprised this hasn't been incorporated into GWX or Never10.

Thanks!

I'm surprised this hasn't been incorporated into GWX or Never10.

Thanks!
I don't think it's really common. I had never seen an error even remotely like this before last week and now I've seen 3 in a week with two different error codes, but in the same strange format. I searched extensively for a fix for this by the error code, which is what lead me to this forum, and found no fix for it anywhere. It's probably one of those weird things that nobody has really heard of.

thanks i was onsite today and having trouble with this error. Nothing i usually did worked. When i search and saw technibble at the top of the list i was relieved! thanks for the help again! This is why i am a nibbler for life!

thanks i was onsite today and having trouble with this error. Nothing i usually did worked. When i search and saw technibble at the top of the list i was relieved! thanks for the help again! This is why i am a nibbler for life!
No problem. I don't get here as often as I like any more, but this place rocks!

Back