Epson SX515W printer wifi problems

sorcerer

Reaction score
Went to see a client today who was having problems with his Epson SX515W printer. He can use it via USB cable but wifi is a bit hit and miss, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, the laptop reports the printer as being offline.

I downloaded the latest drivers from Epson's website (dated 2009 - nothing newer) and installed on the laptop, a Compaq CQ56 running Windows 7 Home Premium, but no improvement.

I then remembered that I've got 'Fing' network discovery tool on my phone so I ran that and discovered that at times, the printer does indeed drop off the network and appears greyed out in the list of connected devices. It usually sits a fair way from the router and wifi signal may struggle to get that far, so I was able to move the router right next to the printer and it then seemed to work every time - but he's just called me to say that it's dropping offline again, even sat just a few inches from the router.

I'm thinking that the wifi card within the printer is going faulty, so (i) does anyone know if they are (easily, and hopefully without a complete stripdown) replaceable, and (ii) is there any test I can run that will confirm my suspicions beyond any doubt, before I ask him to spend any money on new hardware?

I've seen this lots of times.

In my experience it's usually some compatibility issue between the printer and wireless router. I suspect if you try a different router it'll work perfectly.

Sometimes just changing the router's wireless configuration can fix it, such as changing the channel, encryption type, etc.

When it drops, to get the customer back online temporarily, I tell them to power-cycle the router ... that usually works for a while until you can get back to fix it.

EDIT - It's not a Sky router by any chance is it?

Last edited:
No, it's a Technicolour (can't remember the model No.) provided by Tesco Broadband. The printer/router combination has been working well together for over 18 months, so not sure about it being a compatibility issue, but will try a power cycle and channel change just in case.

Cheers

The printer/router combination has been working well together for over 18 months, so not sure about it being a compatibility issue

In that case, changing just the channel may be enough. It's possible the channel has changed recently (if it's set to auto) or a neighbouring router is interfering.

I assume you've tried rebooting the router? Is the router on a fixed channel? As above check neighbouring channels. There are still people turning off their routers when they don't use the internet. If they are also on a fixed channel that could easy give you an 'intermittent' fault.

Last edited:
When you change the channel, try the opposite extremes in case the cause is interference. So if it's presently up near the top at 10 say, move it to the bottom end, around 1 - 3.

If you're changing the channel on-site, test for any neighbouring wifi signals to choose the best separation. I use the android app, Wifi Analyser.

When you change the channel, try the opposite extremes in case the cause is interference. So if it's presently up near the top at 10 say, move it to the bottom end, around 1 - 3.

If you're changing the channel on-site, test for any neighbouring wifi signals to choose the best separation. I use the android app, Wifi Analyser.

Another "Doh!" moment, I think. I've got Wifi Analyzer on my phone but forgot about it. Although I'm psyched up and ready for my heart operation, the waiting must be getting to me subconciously because I seem to be making a few schoolboy errors of late. May be an idea to clear what I've got and then not take any new work in until after I'm sorted :(

Thanks again :)

Although I'm psyched up and ready for my heart operation, the waiting must be getting to me subconciously because I seem to be making a few schoolboy errors of late.

Wow! Yeah, that's understandable. I'd probably be a complete wreck.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Well, changing the channel didn't work. However, talking to the guy it transpires that his phone has been dropping off the wifi network and also his wife's phone too, although not as fequently as his.

The common denominator is the router so he called Tesco Broadband who immediately said they would send out a brand new one for him, so we shall see what happens when it arrives.

Thanks for all help and suggestions guys.

I reckon that'll fix it.

It's almost always the router; whether because of compatibility issues, settings, channel, firmware issue, etc or simply a router fault. I've yet to see a printer's wireless adaptor go faulty.

I don't supply epson where possible. Had 2 printers the past that didn't work with talk talk routers. Got hp printers and work fine so it's def a comparability / problem with wifi in printer

Back