Eliminating Passwords in Linux, Ubuntu, etc.

River Valley Computer

Reaction score
OK - we must have slept the last couple years. The three of us don't remember when we played with Linux a few years ago that they all required a password to log in. We had played with Mint, Puppy and Zorin and a few more.

We advance to the present. We received five of the cleanest Dell Inspiron 1505 and 1525 duo cores for free (recycle). What we thought we would do is put a simple NIX on them and give them to the library for people who can't afford to buy a computer.

What we ran into was with every version we put on we could not eliminate the need to enter the password upon startup.

These will be used probably by seniors to check Email and Facebook, etc.

Any suggestions????? (Be nice :p)

Strange -- most distros I see either have auto-login enabled by default, or it's an option during installation. If yours doesn't, Google 'auto-login' and the distro name, and you'll find how to change it.

Thanks Altster - Ben googled yesterday and came up with procedures for the command:D line. He performed them but he said it kept requiring the password and he is really good at Ubuntu and I would think that Zorin and Mint would follow the same protocol from what he found out but I'lll have him read these. Thanks again.

Maybe we will have Microsoft help us since they are eliminating passwords in Windows 10

Do a Linux Mint setup it lets you OEM the setup so when the customer powers on the box they finish the setup by entering a username and password.

Much like in the windows world.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Back