[SOLVED] Dell Laptop Slow - SSD, Fresh Win 10

It's also a safety feature. Imagine you hooked up a 65W AC Adapter to a machine that tried to draw 120W. Now imagine the 65W AC adapter is cheap and has little to no protection. Instant fire. Instant fire means instant liability for Dell/HP. My lawyers made me do it.

Imagine you hooked up a 65W AC Adapter to a machine that tried to draw 120W. Now imagine the 65W AC adapter is cheap and has little to no protection. Instant fire. Instant fire means instant liability for Dell/HP.

Which is an entirely different situation to how I read the post that triggered this part of the conversation. The way I was reading it was you have a correct wattage power supply, but a non-Dell one, that is fully capable of both running the machine and charging the battery. It is not allowed to charge the battery, and the processor is throttled.

That still makes no sense to me, and would absolutely infuriate me were I to need to use a "stopgap" power supply. I can live with the not charging the battery, but not with intentional throttling of the processor for no valid reason.

That still makes no sense to me, and would absolutely infuriate me were I to need to use a "stopgap" power supply. I can live with the not charging the battery, but not with intentional throttling of the processor for no valid reason.
The laptop has no way to tell if the PSU brick delivers the correct voltage or not. It could be made with such circuitry but at a much greater expense. So assuming the worst and throttling down the system has some validity. But considering that most universal power supplies DO have smart power delivery technology the chance of an overage is minimal.

I tried 3 different power adapters and they would not work right.

Bought the exact one it needed and the sluggishness is gone.

Sold the laptop and customer loves it. No issues.

Dell can be quite picky about its power source!

Back