Ever had a bad SSD cause artifacts ?

Big Jim

Reaction score
Dell XPS 13 Laptop, 7th gen Intel i7 cpu with Intel HD graphics.
Customer has reported the following issues
- dropping wifi connection
- screen artifacts (at least thats how I have understood it from their description), this also was worse just one time, there were lines through the dell logo and this was still apparent when windows had booted.
- generally running slow.

What we have experienced
- whilst checking it over at booking in stage we saw the wifi issue, but not since.
- failing to boot straight after a shutdown, just hanging on the Dell logo, turn off and on again and its fine.
- cloned the install to a spare intel NVME drive we have and it has ran perfectly.
- fresh install on the customers SSD and again it has ran perfectly.
- have had MSI Kombuster running for well over an hour today and CPU got up to around 85oC, again no graphical glitches, also running a 4k You tube video at the same time which also did NOT have any issues. (for those of you unfamiliar these laptops do not have sufficient cooling and simply cannot keep themselves cool under stress)
- memtest ran 10 passes with no reported faults.

Crystaldiskmark shows 173 power on hours, which user reports is very definitely wrong, and the read/write data and power on count would certainly suggest this figure is wrong also. (around 800 power on count and 4TB read/write)
Ran a full scan with HDDScan and it had several "red" sectors, although that was ran on the drive live so could have been down to other programs accessing the drive.

I have recommended an SSD replacement, which customer has approved but they are nervous that they will spend this money and the issue is something else (we have not seen any graphical glitches whilst it has been with us)

If it's the pre-boot / BIOS logo -> bad RAM or bad mobo.
#1: Swap the ram & retest.
not necessarily, we have a W10 (20H2) USB install stick that causes the BIOS logo to be distorted, although that is permanent not just a one off like this.

The only problem with your suggestion is that it has only done this once (not in our presence) and we cannot repeat the issue.

I am considering, swapping the SSD for a spare and telling the customer to see how it behaves for 2 weeks/a month, if it works ok, we proceed with a new SSD, if it doesn't play well then we look at other options.

It has been absolutely flawless for us though with a different drive and/or a clean install.

I am considering, swapping the SSD for a spare and telling the customer to see how it behaves for 2 weeks/a month, if it works ok, we proceed with a new SSD, if it doesn't play well then we look at other options.
Sounds like a plan. With definite errors in the reported SMART data, I wouldn't trust the original drive, even if it appears to be fine with a reinstall.

Out of interest, (approximately) how many hours has the drive been powered (laptop age in days × guestimate of daily hours powered)? What volume is SMART reporting for data writes (not that this can be trusted ...)? What %age of the drive is in use?

Edit: sorry, you already addressed this.

we have a W10 (20H2) USB install stick that causes the BIOS logo to be distorted
Is it really the BIOS logo (not the loading logo)? Is it distorted when you enter setup?
If so, bad mobo or bad RAM... I know, but it's the only way I can explain "electrical" interference between the USB port / controler chip & video chip / processor / video RAM...

Let us know how it goes with the swap. I had an SSD once that was doing some funky things. Loaded windows but was acting ... weird. Ended up swapping it out and everything was golden. After hours of testing, of course.

Is it really the BIOS logo (not the loading logo)? Is it distorted when you enter setup?
If so, bad mobo or bad RAM... I know, but it's the only way I can explain "electrical" interference between the USB port / controler chip & video chip / processor / video RAM...
So if you have a UEFI capable machine where it would show the dell logo (for example) with the windows loading circle underneath the dell logo would be all distorted, it looks completely shredded across the screen, it happened yesterday in fact I should have taken a picture to show you, what I did notice yesterday was, as soon as the windows loading circle appeared it cleared a little box in the middle of the screen and the dots appeared ok.
Note that this USB stick causes no other issues at all and works perfectly.

As for this particular machine the thread is about it is currently back with the customer with one of our spare drives in it for testing, I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I did say try it for 2 - 4 weeks.

Back