BSOD on Windows XP Startup

GotaPC

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So i got this client that called me about a problem with a computer , after i picked it up and fired it up i kept getting BSOD right after the Windows XP loading screen, it goes by for a split second and restarts so i cant get a glimpse at the error code.

The computer had some problems before , mostly virus's which ive cleaned a few months back , i did install MSE for him afterwards and according to him nothing happend to the computer , he just went to the office and started the machine and that problem happend.

So this is what i've done:
-Repaired Windows with the Windows XP CD.
-Connected the hard drive as a slave on my work station and attempted a repair by running the Fix Tool from the Hardware Menu and then attempted to fix the sectors with Paragon Partition Manager multiple times.
-Tried running sfc /scannow from Safe Mode but i cant even log in, it says Windows is corrupted.

Anyways the client gave me a green light to format the computer but i wanted to post here to see if there is anything that can be done before i format or just to learn if i ever get a problem like that in the future.

Thanks

Did you hit the F8 key when it first started rebooting because of the BSOD and did it not give you the option to "Disable automatic restart on system failure"?
Disable%20Automatic%20Restart.jpg

Have you done any basic hardware diagnostics? I mean, this should be the first thing I would be doing.

memtest86
manufacturer's drive diagnostic test.

Examining the BSOD dump might be a good place to start.

Learn to diagnose problems before you start randomly throwing possible fixes at tem.

Post the most recent .dmp file found in C:/Windows/minidump

So it already has loaded the hardware drivers, then starts to load Windows? Search for and delete malware found in the registry under those Winlogon and Run locations where malware start ups hide.

Did you hit the F8 key when it first started rebooting because of the BSOD and did it not give you the option to "Disable automatic restart on system failure"?
Disable%20Automatic%20Restart.jpg

Already did that sir before sir , didnt work.

Boot with UBCD4Win, mount the registry and shut of auto reboot on BSODs. Then at least you'll have an error message to work with.

Instruction on this very site: http://www.technibble.com/how-to-di...r-bsod-if-you-are-unable-to-get-into-windows/

Thanks , i totally forgot to search this time!
I tried everything in the link above , The UBCD crashed on 2 systems after loading its CD files , but it works fine on my custom rig. so i connected the hard drive in slave again on my workstation and ran ubcd and it gave me:
STOP: 0x7e

already goggled it but couldn't find a resolved fix for the issue.

Post the most recent .dmp file found in C:/Windows/minidump

So it already has loaded the hardware drivers, then starts to load Windows? Search for and delete malware found in the registry under those Winlogon and Run locations where malware start ups hide.

Yeah it starts up , loads everything , starts loading XP and then it crashes.

Ill attach the dump file in this post.

If I ever get stuck I run chkdsk /r; it never hurts and fixes so many problems

I went through the recovery console and ran that command before , hard drive still crashes.

Attachments

• minidump.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 88
You need to check that hard drive for errors and run a SMART anaysis.

I checked for errors before using the Windows Error Check Utility , I also ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console , and used Paragon Partition Magic to check system files and error check.

Im using HDTune right now to run an error check.

I checked for errors before using the Windows Error Check Utility , I also ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console , and used Paragon Partition Magic to check system files and error check.
i.e you ran chkdsk three times. Running it once should be enough. A SMART analysis takes a few seconds to run, it should be one of the first things you do if you're suffering file system corruption or suspect hard disk problems.

The more time you spin-up a failing hard drive the greater the chance you will lose the customer's data for ever.

i.e you ran chkdsk three times. Running it once should be enough. A SMART analysis takes a few seconds to run, it should be one of the first things you do if you're suffering file system corruption or suspect hard disk problems.

The more time you spin-up a failing hard drive the greater the chance you will lose the customer's data for ever.

Well i kind of knew that but thanks for reminding me about that , like i said earlier the customer already gave me a green light to format the HD but i cant give in for a problem like that , i just have to fix it.

I first did the Windows Error Check and it fixed alot of errors , tried to boot and it didn't work , did it from Paragon Partition Manager and it still didn't fix the problem . i did the 3rd time after i was finally able to get into the recovery console using the Windows XP CD and it stayed for 4 hours but that didn't fix the problem. so thats why i did it 3 times just to make sure i take it off as a possible solution.

If you dont mind me asking, what SMART Tool Analysis Tool do you use?

Dang.... It's already been mentioned to run a hardware diagnostic. If you're not doing that for this kind of problem, how have you been getting by?

As mentioned before, run memtest and run the manufacturer's drive diagnostic tool. It'll do everything you need it to. The smart thing is good, too, but not always accurate.

If you dont mind me asking, what SMART Tool Analysis Tool do you use?
You should start by using the diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer. If you're not sure of the drive fitted and donn't want to remove the cover, IBM/Hitachi drive Fitness Test is a good place to start as it will run basic diagnostic across most manufacturer's drives and will also identify the actual disk fitted. You can then follow-up with the manufacturer's diagnostic if DFT is not conclusive or if you need a failure code/report for a warranty RMA.

The are essential, basic & FREE tools that you should already have in your toolkit if you're taking on paying work.

Use CrystalDiskInfo to get your smart error codes.

Also before you do anything else IMAGE THE DRIVE, you Don't want to loose data. That should have been the first thing you did.

Dang.... It's already been mentioned to run a hardware diagnostic. If you're not doing that for this kind of problem, how have you been getting by?

As mentioned before, run memtest and run the manufacturer's drive diagnostic tool. It'll do everything you need it to. The smart thing is good, too, but not always accurate.

Well i can tell you that the HD is error free, ill do those diagnostics right now just be to sure.

You should start by using the diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer. If you're not sure of the drive fitted and donn't want to remove the cover, IBM/Hitachi drive Fitness Test is a good place to start as it will run basic diagnostic across most manufacturer's drives and will also identify the actual disk fitted. You can then follow-up with the manufacturer's diagnostic if DFT is not conclusive or if you need a failure code/report for a warranty RMA.

The are essential, basic & FREE tools that you should already have in your toolkit if you're taking on paying work.

Its a Western Digital Hard Drive , i already have the necessary tools for those tests in my toolkit it i just didnt think about that. I just didn't get alot of Hard Drive Problems like these before.

Does the machine boot up in safe mode?

It booted only once and it was super slow , even tho i did installed 3 sticks of 1GB Ram for the computer but it just wouldnt do anything. im doing all my work from my workstation and the HD is running as a slave. But now it wont boot into anything...

Thank you for all the help guys i really appreciate it.
ill post back with more info in a little bit.

Back