Auto-Pay solution for managed service clients

DocGreen

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I've been doing the whole MSP thing, and using Mhelpdesk have everyone setup on recurring quarterly invoices. None of them take advantage of the online payment option, opting instead to pay be check. Some of them mail the check every quarter, and others I'll collect a check in person. The problem, though, is that over time the clients are slower and slower to pay, usually requiring multiple reminder emails, phone calls, and occasionally multiple visits to collect. Because of this, I've decided that I'm going to start requiring new clients to agree to automated payments, and hopefully transition my existing clients to the same.

Now, my problem is that Mhelpdesk only gives me recurring invoices... it won't automatically charge the customer even if the customer has a CC on file (stored in Stripe.) For the record, I have accounts set up with MPayments (wePay), Stripe, Paypal, and Square (which doesn't integrate with MHD)... I'm obviously not married to any particular processor, but from what I've seen MPayments has the lowest CC rate.

Also, because most of these customers seem to dislike paying by CC (and because I fees for ACH processing are lower) I'd like to offer ACH as a payment option for recurring payments.

OK so here's how I could accomplish what I want now, but it requires a lot of manual work on my end:
  1. Sell the client on the service contract, draw up their initial invoice in MHD as well as their contract.
  2. In the contract, include a Debit / ACH authorization form
  3. Once all paperwork is signed, create the customer & contract (plan) in Stripe
  4. If using ACH, I'd need the customer to verify their account (Stripe uses 2 micropay deposits to the client's bank that the customer would need to verify with me, and then I with Stripe)
  5. Once the account is verified, setup the subscription in Stripe using plan created in step 3, and from there it's good to go.
A couple obvious hurdles with that method:
  • Every time a recurring payment is charged in Stripe, I'd have to manually update the invoice to paid in Mhelpdesk.
  • Customers, Plans, and Subscriptions have to be configured manually in Stripe
  • Customer payment info would need to be entered manually, meaning they'd either need to transmit that to me somehow, or I'd need to setup the billing on-site.
  • Customers paying with ACH would need to go through the PITA of verifying the micro-pay deposits

Obviously the preferred solution is for Mhelpdesk to integrate these features, which I know is totally possible with Stripe at least... but since that's not an option I'm willing suffer through manually updating those invoices provided I could streamline the rest of the process. Now if I were a programmer, I could easily use Stripe.js or whatever it is to build exactly what I want on my website, but unfortunately I'm not. I have seen several Stripe plugins for Wordpress though... so I'm wondering if one of them can do what I'm thinking of.
Now here's how I'd LIKE the process to go:
  1. Customer comes to my website (either with my guidance, or on their own) and is able to browse through the MSP info and learn about the services. (I can almost see myself using this as a presentation if I'm guiding them through it)
  2. Customer is able to pick out the different parameters of their plan, such which package they want, number of workstations/servers (quantity per package, basically), and any ala carte stuff like block hours, etc.
  3. I'd like any trial periods (if I go that route) to be handled here automatically as well.
  4. Customer is able to choose the billing terms (monthly, quarterly, yearly), the payment method (CC, ACH), and then enter all of the payment information themselves, as opposed to relaying the information for me to enter, and potentially have that info recorded on a call or in print somewhere.
  5. Customer gets the payment confirmation and receipt, I get an email notification.

So... what do you guys think? Does anyone know of a Wordpress plugin that does everything I need, or another solution that fits the bill? How are you guys handling automatic billing (not just invoicing)? Is anyone accepting ACH payments?

We made a form on our website using gravity forms developer version and the stripe gravity forms add-on. This took about an hour to setup and we have been using it for years now. For the few customers who want to be invoiced, we do it with PCRT and that has worked well too.

We made a form on our website using gravity forms developer version and the stripe gravity forms add-on. This took about an hour to setup and we have been using it for years now. For the few customers who want to be invoiced, we do it with PCRT and that has worked well too.

I saw those... I was confused about what all I needed to get what I wanted. I saw Gravity + Stripe, which said it required a Gravity Forms license (but said any would work, so the $39/yr one?)... but some of the features had an asterisk with something about (more) Stripe which included subscriptions & auto-billing, for an extra $49 (one-time? per yr? idk)

Are you able to process subscriptions auto-billed to ACH via Gravity forms + stripe? (some of my customers seem to have an issue with debit cards) And if so, is there any micro-pay bank verification?

We switched to WHMCS (from MHD) last year and couldn't be happier with it. Not only does it automatically charge cards and apply payments to associated invoices but it has TONS of other features. It's made for web hosting but can be used in any business that does recurring payments. A short list is below, and that's not everything, just the stuff we use.

A well rounded ticketing system
Automated E-mails for tickets, invoices, overdue payments, ect
Online portal that allows clients to order new services and see all invoices/tickets/existing services
A built in referral manager
Integration with TONS of payment processors
Project Management (Paid add-on)
LOW monthly cost, we pay $10 a month for the license +our web hosting fees. No per tech fees. Many web hosts offer it at this rate or even cheaper (sometimes free!)
Self hosted so you retain control of the data (The earlier you do this the better, see below)
Very customizeable
All sorts of reporting

https://www.whmcs.com/members/aff.php?aff=28198

Regarding control of the data. We found out the hard way to getting away from MHD is a painful process. They don't (or didn't at the time) have any way to just export all your data. All our old data is spread among multiple excel spreadsheets that are a pain to search. In comparison, WHMCS allows you to maintain control of the data. If you ever decide you don't want to keep the service active you can just buy a permanent license and host it in house and retain access forever.

I saw those... I was confused about what all I needed to get what I wanted. I saw Gravity + Stripe, which said it required a Gravity Forms license (but said any would work, so the $39/yr one?)... but some of the features had an asterisk with something about (more) Stripe which included subscriptions & auto-billing, for an extra $49 (one-time? per yr? idk)

I didn't realize you needed the developer license for the stripe add-on until I just went and looked. At 199.00 and 150.00 a year its real pricey and does not make much sense for a single site.

I have a developer license because I built websites until about a year ago and just keep the license now for our sites and some of our old customers.

I have tried the Gravity + Stripe third party plugin and it does not work very well. The biggest problem is that Gravity updates their software all the time and it tends to break the third party plugins.

I didn't realize you needed the developer license for the stripe add-on until I just went and looked. At 199.00 and 150.00 a year its real pricey and does not make much sense for a single site.

I have a developer license because I built websites until about a year ago and just keep the license now for our sites and some of our old customers.

I have tried the Gravity + Stripe third party plugin and it does not work very well. The biggest problem is that Gravity updates their software all the time and it tends to break the third party plugins.

Yeah, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

We switched to WHMCS (from MHD) last year and couldn't be happier with it. Not only does it automatically charge cards and apply payments to associated invoices but it has TONS of other features. It's made for web hosting but can be used in any business that does recurring payments. A short list is below, and that's not everything, just the stuff we use.

A well rounded ticketing system
Automated E-mails for tickets, invoices, overdue payments, ect
Online portal that allows clients to order new services and see all invoices/tickets/existing services
A built in referral manager
Integration with TONS of payment processors
Project Management (Paid add-on)
LOW monthly cost, we pay $10 a month for the license +our web hosting fees. No per tech fees. Many web hosts offer it at this rate or even cheaper (sometimes free!)
Self hosted so you retain control of the data (The earlier you do this the better, see below)
Very customizeable
All sorts of reporting

https://www.whmcs.com/members/aff.php?aff=28198

Regarding control of the data. We found out the hard way to getting away from MHD is a painful process. They don't (or didn't at the time) have any way to just export all your data. All our old data is spread among multiple excel spreadsheets that are a pain to search. In comparison, WHMCS allows you to maintain control of the data. If you ever decide you don't want to keep the service active you can just buy a permanent license and host it in house and retain access forever.

This sounds like a better option... does it allow you to setup an ACH with customers, or is it limited to credit cards?

I think it's only credit cards that can be done automatically. However you can manually enter payments anytime as well. Obviously that takes a bit away from the automation standpoint. There may be add-ons that can handle this though.

Your using Square? I use Square and have no problems with recurring payments. I have clients setup on monthly, quarterly and semi-annually with no issue. I also have PayPal for recurring payments if clients want to use checks as PayPal just deducts it from their bank account, but I have no clients on PayPal recurring yet as I currently (and will continue to) require a credit card or debit card and push it through Square. Heck, Square even gives you a form for the client to sign so you can keep it on file in case of disputes. I have 27 clients on MSP (don't judge me, I just started MSP a few months ago) and have them all set up on recurring and have not missed a payment yet and I don't even have to send them a reminder, Square does that for me automatically the day before payment will be drawn out.

Your using Square? I use Square and have no problems with recurring payments. I have clients setup on monthly, quarterly and semi-annually with no issue. I also have PayPal for recurring payments if clients want to use checks as PayPal just deducts it from their bank account, but I have no clients on PayPal recurring yet as I currently (and will continue to) require a credit card or debit card and push it through Square. Heck, Square even gives you a form for the client to sign so you can keep it on file in case of disputes. I have 27 clients on MSP (don't judge me, I just started MSP a few months ago) and have them all set up on recurring and have not missed a payment yet and I don't even have to send them a reminder, Square does that for me automatically the day before payment will be drawn out.

I did not know Square did that. I just recently saw that they added the option to keep a customer's card on file.

*update*

I see it now... it's part of Square Invoices. I wasn't using Square for invoicing. That's definitely an option that I could implement immediately with basically zero effort, but there are a few issues I see that make me hesitant.
  • Doesn't do ACH... while not a deal-breaker, it does mean I'd be forced to use a completely different system for customers who don't want to use CC. (which is the vast majority of my business customers)
  • 3.5% + 15¢ adds up quick. WePay (aka MPayments) is only 2.49% + 30¢. Stripe is a little more at 2.9% +15¢, but ACH (w/ stripe) is the clear winner at 0.8% with a $5 cap on the fee.
  • Either way, I'd still have to manually enter the payment details into MHD.

I'm going to look into that other system someone suggested. If it can do everything I'm already using MHD for PLUS auto-billing, it may be the way to go. I'd hate to give up my grandfathered pricing at MHD though.

Last edited:
@DocGreen I see your concern. But for the cost, its not that much.

Take a $100 sale. With Square, that would be $3.50 + 15¢ = $3.65

Take WePay: $2.49 + 30¢ = $2.79

So thats only 86¢. Though that can add up granted, you could do what I did. Had my MSP basic at $9/mo but raised it to $9.99. The payment process was only 37¢. Now if you had a real merchant account, you can get deals such as 1.5% + 15¢. But, then your stuck paying compliance fees every 6 months plus a monthly maintenance fee plus daily batch fee. So not worth it and worth it to me to just to eat a few cents.

@DocGreen I see your concern. But for the cost, its not that much.

Take a $100 sale. With Square, that would be $3.50 + 15¢ = $3.65

Take WePay: $2.49 + 30¢ = $2.79

So thats only 86¢. Though that can add up granted, you could do what I did. Had my MSP basic at $9/mo but raised it to $9.99. The payment process was only 37¢. Now if you had a real merchant account, you can get deals such as 1.5% + 15¢. But, then your stuck paying compliance fees every 6 months plus a monthly maintenance fee plus daily batch fee. So not worth it and worth it to me to just to eat a few cents.

I'm charging $25/mo for most of mine (more for servers), and billing them quarterly. If I were to run them all through Square, I'd be looking at over $160 in fees every quarter. That's way too salty. If I were able to run them all as ACH through Stripe, my fees would max out at $35 per quarter.

Back