Embarrassing Signature Question

ComputerDave

Reaction score
It's embarrassing because the solution is probably so simple. I have a Customer Agreement in .pdf form. I would like to have a tablet where the customer puts their signature into a field, and then that document is saved under their last name. Then, the next customer comes along, and we pull up the same (original) document and do the same. I've been attempting this with the subscription-based Adobe Reader Pro, but when the document gets signed, the original gets signed, if that makes any sense. I'd rather do away with the subscription, but I'm willing to try anything. Honestly, I just never took the time to learn Adobe (in a lazy kind of way).

Must this be done in PDF? Using an MS-Word fillable form template makes this easy. [I presume you mean a "typed signature" not a "sign on the screen" signature.]

Must this be done in PDF? Using an MS-Word fillable form template makes this easy. [I presume you mean a "typed signature" not a "sign on the screen" signature.]
No, I would rather not use the .pdf if I didn't have to. I'm totally open to using something different. But I thought I would need "sign on the screen" to make it more legally binding. Having said that, I'm not very knowledgeable of "the law" either! Thank you for the feedback!

eSignatures are possible in most editable document types, including MS-Word. See article: Add or remove a digital signature for Microsoft 365 files

eSignatures are generally considered legally valid and enforceable. Using an MS-Word fillable form template allows you to create a "blank" version of any given document for filling out on demand, with only the form fields or other unprotected sections able to be modified.

I don't know of any way to fully automate the saving step, though. But if the eSignature were of the typed type, there's almost certainly a way to save a file based on what's typed.

eSignatures are possible in most editable document types, including MS-Word. See article: Add or remove a digital signature for Microsoft 365 files

eSignatures are generally considered legally valid and enforceable. Using an MS-Word fillable form template allows you to create a "blank" version of any given document for filling out on demand, with only the form fields or other unprotected sections able to be modified.

I don't know of any way to fully automate the saving step, though. But if the eSignature were of the typed type, there's almost certainly a way to save a file based on what's typed.
I think it's certainly worth looking into. It's better than where I am now, and that's stuck. That's what makes this place so valuable, getting a fresh, different perspective.

When you open a PDF to edit it edits the original even if you save it to a different name/location. You need to make a copy first then open that copy to capture the sig. I know MS apps have templates, not sure if such a thing exists Adobe.

Acrobat Pro has mechanism to handle this but you do so via template.

You've also got Docusign and other services. Even if you host it on your website... it's still a "subscription".

There is no way to gather legally enforceable signatures without a subscription cost somewhere. Though I do highly sympathize with wanting to get away from all things Adobe.

If the signature is just there to authorize payment, there are a HORDE of online payment processing systems that do that.

Last edited:
There is no way to gather legally enforceable signatures without a subscription cost somewhere. Though I do highly sympathize with wanting to get away from all things Adobe.
That's a really good point, I had not thought of it that way. If I'm using a service, it is much more likely to be enforceable. Thank you!

Acrobat Pro has mechanism to handle this but you do so via template.

You've also got Docusign and other services. Even if you host it on your website... it's still a "subscription".

If the signature is just there to authorize payment, there are a HORDE of online payment processing systems that do that.
Adobe sub cost is ridiculous.

Adobe sub cost is ridiculous.
Right?

Microsoft: Everything you need to run a small law firm in the cloud within the most restrictive legal jurisdiction on the planet... M365 Business Premium ($22 / user / month)

Adobe: Oh... you want to edit PDFs? ($20 / user / month)

Also Microsoft, we're going to feed you new features that impact our primary services so quickly no human being has the possibility to keep up...

Then Adobe, we'll give you something new... in a decade or two...

One of these two companies knows how to SaaS, the other... very much doesn't.

Paying $AUS347 P/A to edit PDF no from me.
Right?

I have no need for PDF editing beyond what MS Word can do these days... BUT when I need something more I reach for : https://www.foxit.com/shopping/

Note the link below the primarily visible blocks of products... they still do perpetual licenses and they are more than reasonable.

Or you can pay 3x that for Adobe Standard : https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Acroba...mzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

Blech!

Back