Managing Unifi equipment

HCHTech

Reaction score
The other thread about Unifi stuff made me want to ask this question about keeping tabs on your clients' equipment. How are others making sure they know when their clients have a problem? Here's my tale on efforts to get things a bit more organized for my shop:

We use Hostifi, and up until recently primarily used the "Sites Overview" page to show all of our clients' stuff on one page, and used that as our monitoring window. When something showed up as a problem, we would investigate and fix it. The "new & improved" controller pages have removed this useful page (it's still available if you switch back to the "classic" view - albeit a bit buggy), but in reality, it's high time we moved on to a better and more-scalable system. Once we passed 15 or so clients on the controller, it just isn't efficient to use this view as the main way to find out about problems.

So, I've been on a tear recently to streamline and centralize the monitoring of other equipment we have in the field, like Synology NAS units or iDRAC setups for example. To do this, I setup a new "notifications" email address on our domain, and I'm having all of the various notification emails that can be generated by equipment send their notifications to this new email address. I signed up for SMTP2GO to have a common SMTP server to use, and also to standardize the setup across different devices.

Ideally, I'll be able to configure these received emails to create service tickets in our CRM, but step one is getting everything to send their emails to one place, so that's where I am now.

I went through a particularly-frustrating ordeal with Unifi. Originally, the notification emails all went to the "SuperAdmin" user on the controller. Looking at their documentation, it was clear that you couldn't just specify the address you wanted notifications to go to (like, I don't know, every other thing that does this, but you do you, Ubiquiti). You have to create another administrator account. I wasn't keen to give global access rights & such to the notification account, so I deselected the various options that give access, to essentially create a "read only" admin user. Then, I could check the "receive email notifications" box for the notification user and uncheck it from the original superadmin user. So far so good, I thought. But it didn't work.

The first thing I ran into was how to generate a "real" event that would in turn generate a notification email so I could test this setup. Unifi provides a "Send Test Email" button there, but I wanted to see a real alert. I assumed the simplest thing would be to just unplug an access point. I did so, but no email, no event. A bit of googling later and it turns out Ubiquiti has removed this as a notification event because it was apparently "unreliable". I guess people complained about getting spammed with disconnect emails, I don't know. I never had that experience. It seemed to work for me, anyway. So instead of putting in a counter, or control to only notify if it stayed disconnected for X amount of time, they just took it out. Awesome - that would seem to me to be one of the things that I absolutely would want to know to keep my clients up and running. This is Bug #1.

So I settled for the "Network Client Connection Change" setting. Every time a user connects or disconnects, you get a notification. This would be WAY too noisy to use in real life, but for testing, anyway, it should be easy enough to generate an event. I turned it on, signed on a new device, and got a notification email - yea! Except, it went to the original admin address, not to my new notification address. Plus, this setting applies to ALL CLIENTS on the controller - it's not individually settable per client. Not a wonderful surprise. Ticking this box generated between 5 & 10 alerts every minute for my 20 or so clients on the controller. So be careful what you ask for on this one.

After double checking settings, and then more time with google, I gave up and chatted with Hostifi to figure out why the alerts wouldn't change destination.

They had me double check the settings again, everything looked good. After trying a few things that didn't work, they asked me to give more of those admin rights I had taken away from the notification account back. I added them back one at a time and tested the notification each time. After all of the rights had been added back, essentially making my notification account a superadmin, I started getting notification emails. Ugh. Not what I want, but at least it works. I asked "Is that how this is supposed to work?" Answer: "I don't know." It would appear to me that since they have the checkboxes to indicate what level of rights each admin account gets, the answer is obviously "No." This is Bug #2.

I disconnect with the chat after thanking them for their help and expressing my disappointment with the resolution. Then, about 30 seconds later I see the problem: The alerts are going to BOTH addresses, the original superadmin email AND the new notifications (now also superadmin) email. I didn't even try to look at settings anymore, I just chatted back. "Oh yes, that's a bug that has been there since v6.1 (current is v6.4). Notification emails go to ALL admin accounts. You would have thought they might have brought that up somewhere in the hours spent on this project with them. So now I'm stuck with setting up a rule to auto-delete the emails from the original superadmin email, which unfortunately is also used for a lot of other communication. This is Bug #3.

So there are currently 3 Bugs in the notification "system" available to Unifi users, that little old me with only 20 clients on their controller has run into. What do people with way more clients do? This seems a bit unreasonable to me, and it's all Unifi, Hostifi could certainly have saved me time had they known about a couple of those bugs in advance, but I still give them props for sticking with me to solve the problem - well, not solve exactly, but get to a semi-working setup anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for this detailed write up! Yep, I hear your pain with notifications and the UI. The new UI for unifi is the pits. The modern theme is cumbersome, especially, compared to the classic UI. In terms of notifications I tend to lean on my Synology and other IT services which speaks to your primary issue that Unifi's notification system needs work! You might want to do a direct support ticket with them as this may nudge them to fix these issues.

Unifi's admin system has always been a hokey mess. It's just that the alternatives were too expensive to consider.

Now that TPLink's Omada is on the shelf (Which is all but a direct theft of the Unifi controller to boot), and HP's Aruba line is in the same price space....

Well let's just say that Unifi has about 12 -18 months to get their sorry acts together in a way they've never done before or risk losing their ENTIRE business. Well aside from the ISP grade wifi stuff, no one else really is in that space like they are.

Meanwhile, the guy that owns Hostifi is busy poking them with an old domain name and setting himself up to be sued into oblivion. He'll probably win, but it's going to be a huge resource sink to do it. And for what? People talk about the liability of using Hostifi, and yet from my perspective it's a larger liability to USE Hostifi. It's becoming a massive single point of failure for everyone on the platform.

I'll continue using cloud keys / B1S Azure instances for each client thanks. Yeah, I have to take care of my client's network infrastructure... that's MY JOB, that's literally what I get paid to do. I'm not cheaping out on the basics... that's how you get into trouble.

Nah Pera won't sue Reilly, Ubiquiti totally let that old domain lapse. Reilly's in it for the long game, he's having a new office built right now...built from the ground up. Way too many MSP's use Hostifi, around the globe, he has servers on all continents.

Nah Pera won't sue Reilly, Ubiquiti totally let that old domain lapse. Reilly's in it for the long game, he's having a new office built right now...built from the ground up. Way too many MSP's use Hostifi, around the globe, he has servers on all continents.
They have to sue, or they'll lose their trademark. Just watch.

He'll sell it back to them...they'll agree on a price. That's the cost of one of their guys (whoever was in charge of monitoring domain expirations and failing to update the credit card on the auto renewal) falling asleep at the wheel.

For the uninformed, which domain are you guys referring to? I joined the Ubiquiti party late, so missed the good stuff, apparently! I always thought ui.com was an odd choice, but ubiquiti.com is a unrelated software company that was founded before Ubiquiti Networks, so they probably never had that choice. Ubnt.com redirects to ui.com so they own that one. The only domain I "see" w/in Hostifi is my own sub on hostifi.net.

Yeah the software company of the same name....that was a bummer for Ubiquiti, as the software company of the same name.com has been around before Ubiquiti network hardware. Hence why they had to do ubnt.com (which as you note, just redirects to ui.com now).
I don't recall ubiquiti-networks.com ever being actively used. They just let the domain "expire"....and Reilly picked it up.
Thread still up on Reillys FB page....fully open to public.

And....Reilly (Hostifi) won the case regarding the domain name.
I was just reading that on his facebook From https://www.adrforum.com/DomainDeci...iLDx7U_PgcVXvAYQOxBbbQvCr7Bj9SddSBJzeWjFkTA70

Insofar as the record shows, the domain name was abandoned by Complainant and left in the public domain for more than a decade before Respondent bought it at public auction. The record thus makes clear that Respondent did not register the domain name in order to prevent Complainant from doing so on its own behalf

Here I was thinking that they just let it lapse and it was swooped quickly. Ubiquiti clearly did not want to keep the domain.

Back