Apple mail help

HCHTech

Reaction score
I have a 1-person home-based business with an iMac, running Catalina. She uses the Apple Mail application and currently has 3 accounts:
  • Personal ISP mail -POP
  • Personal Gmail
  • Business mail, which is GoDaddy hosted Exchange
I looks like all of the mail is coming into a shared inbox. she has a couple of dozen other folders she manually moves mail into, and then there is the "Saved on my Mac" folder tree with another couple of dozen folders under that.

She has Time Machine setup and running with a 4TB external drive. She also uses iCloud and is manually doing an export of her mail to her iCloud folder once per week, maintaining 3 weeks (deleting the oldest after the newest is created). To do this she is just alt-clicking on the inbox folder and choosing Export.

The task at hand is to migrate away from GoDaddy to GSuite for her business mail.

So, some questions for the folks who live more in this world than me:

1. Does choosing to alt-click on the Inbox folder and export the mail get all of the mail & folders? Wouldn't you also have to do this with the "Saved on my Mac" folder tree? I actually tried this, but it doesn't seem to be an option. I did some poking around in Finder, but could not locate the mbox file at all, I believe it is hidden by default in Catalina and I didn't have time to dig further during the initial exploratory remote session.

2. The size of the export file is about 4GB, so it's pretty big, although I don't have a good feel for what the Mail program is comfortable with. Is that too much?

3. There are some intermittent problems with sending and receiving mail on the Exchange account. It works ok if she logs onto the OWA portal they have, so I suspect some corruption in the Exchange mail on the Mac.

4. All this is leading me to want to start fresh with a clean Mail setup. Save the mail out of the existing profile, wipe it all and then add all of the accounts and import the mail again. All before even thinking about the migration to GSuite. Is there a path to importing an Mbox file to GSuite? Is there an equivalent of ScanPST for the Mac?

I've got a couple of weeks to plan this out, but I've been doing VPN setups non-stop for a couple of days now, so could use a head start on the planning.

BTW, I did bring up Outlook as a possibility and she immediately responded with "Oh, I HATE Outlook!". Hmm.

Back