[TIP] ★ Recommended Software ★

I get really nervous when i download something from download.com. I haven't used this yet, have you? SDI is really flawless in execution. Load it up, it discovers devices, then asks if you want to install them all or you can pick and choose. Start the install, walk away and you are done. no programs to install or anything. Works off a USB as well.
I've found SDIO is pretty great. Crashes once in awhile, but the overall time it saves you is great. Solved plenty of problems quickly with this. Plus when you have to have an ethernet or wi-fi driver on the fly, it has never failed me.

I know this original post is really old, but SpinRite should be removed from the HDD tools list. It's not and has never been a "data recovery tool" as it's actually a data destructive HDD refurbishing tool (yes it'll sacrifice data to try to make a drive work). And, it does nothing that modern drives aren't able to do much better on their own now as a background process built into the drive.

So today (unless you're working on a HDD from the days of Windows 3.1) all that program is good for is making data recovery much more expensive when it really botches up a drive that could have been easily recovered with a better technique.

Perhaps as an addition to the list, you should have some of the free Linux tools such as GNU ddrescue and hddsuperclone which are 1000x better tools for the types of cases techs are usually running Spinrite on.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Windows Repair Tool, looks handy, I'll be giving that a go!
I've found SDIO is pretty great. Crashes once in awhile, but the overall time it saves you is great. Solved plenty of problems quickly with this. Plus when you have to have an ethernet or wi-fi driver on the fly, it has never failed me.
And the developers of SDIO and WRT are members of this forum. ;)
If you like their software and find it useful tip 'em a few bucks!

I didn't spend a ton of time looking but I did not see this: WSCC
It keeps all of NirSofts and Sysinternals tools in one place and is updated frequently. It also has other tools you can select if you want.

I have the portable version on my repair USB.

Back