The Car Maintenance Thread

lol :D

Yeah, such 'toy' cars do seem to be quite popular on this side of the pond. Mine 'fits' (just about), so size can't be the only reason. It can be difficult finding large enough parking spaces in a big car over here though.

Those Lucernes are deceptively large. At first glance I assumed it was a mid-sized saloon/sedan but looking at the specs, it's actually a very similar size to my car, which falls in the large/executive class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Lucerne
Wheelbase: 115.6 in (2,936 mm)
Length 203.2 in (5,161 mm)
Width 73.8 in (1,875 mm)
Height 58.0 in (1,473 mm)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A8
Wheelbase: 2,882 mm (113.5 in)
Length: 5,034 mm (198.2 in)
Width 1,880 mm (74.0 in)
Height 1,438 mm (56.6 in)

Almost identical sizes, give or take an inch or five.

Here's a similar size comparison photo of an A8/S8, with some smaller cars in the background:
http://i.imgur.com/DeSIE11.jpg
(you may need to look beyond the legs to see the cars)
^^^^^ Yes, I did get kinda lost there a minute :)

To be honest, I need a big car because in most of todays cars I do not fit in them. My head hits the roof of the car when I am inside. Also, I was hoping you would find my graphics funny and not piss you off :) . Was not my intent. I do like your car though. That is very interesting that they are about the same size. Your right that you would not think that looking at them.

Looking at the Audi online I see its more luxurious than mine by far. Nice interior. The price is quite a bit different too on the used ones versus my Buick. However, GM has gone down hill though too.

Thanks

Yeah, German cars have nice coachwork and are a treat to drive. Had a '91 BMW 525 that I really enjoyed. When it went over a driveway, it was almost as if the wheels saw it coming and simply stepped over the edge as you largely felt no "bump" at all. Great handling, great interior, very nice looking car. I'll say that German cars do seem to have a lot more road noise than the American luxos though. Service and parts? Oh, my achin' wallet...

Now that looks sharp! :) I like the looks of your car a lot.

I have noticed that when you pull up to a customers location in a car like yours or mine they are impressed.

I have some things still to do on my car:

1. Clean it out, Wax job.
2. Fix the front strut bearings. I get the "clunk, clunk" when turning the steering wheel.
3. Getting time for its first coolant flush. I havent done it since I have had it.

I have been slowly bringing this car back to life. I actually bought this from a dealer it was their advertised special. I figured there would be alot wrong with it but if I can get them down on price I can do the repairs myself. That is what I have been doing.

I was a bit shocked at the price of the tires. This Buick has 17 inch tires.

Michelin Defenders.

Thanks for the reply,

When you got your new Michelin Defenders did you have them fill them with Nitrogen rather than regular air? I've had my 2011 Chrysler Town & Country since September of last year and other than when a Tire Pressure Sensor got overly cold and started lying to me about pressure in the tire I've not had to add any air / nitrogen to the tires. Oh and the TPS started working correctly once the weather got warmer.

I see I'm going to have to save a bunch of $'s to outfit the mini-van with new Michelin tires - esp. the Defenders. I'm told that they are the best to get and that they cut down on road noise.

Regarding your struts (and this is a posting to all of us in the U.S.) have you ever dealt with https://www.rockauto.com/ "Rock Auto - dot - com?" I have in the past and have been quite happy with quick shipping and the quality of parts I had ordered in the past. Might save some of us some money with auto repairs.

Last edited:
^^^^^ Yes, I did get kinda lost there a minute :)

To be honest, I need a big car because in most of todays cars I do not fit in them. My head hits the roof of the car when I am inside. Also, I was hoping you would find my graphics funny and not piss you off :) . Was not my intent. I do like your car though. That is very interesting that they are about the same size. Your right that you would not think that looking at them.

Looking at the Audi online I see its more luxurious than mine by far. Nice interior. The price is quite a bit different too on the used ones versus my Buick. However, GM has gone down hill though too.

Thanks

So a "Smart Car" is out of the question for you? LOL

So a "Smart Car" is out of the question for you? LOL

http://www.smartusa.com/

lol!!

No way even remotely possible! lol...

I refuse to pull up to my customers in one of these!
pink-smart-10.jpg

but hey, thats just me.

Those things are too small to even be considered a car IMO! :eek:

It's survival of the biggest on the road; hit anything bigger than mini head on in one of those and you're dead.

Ok, I learned a lesson - I should have known better!

If your going to replace the brake pads make darn sure your disks are not warped. Either have them ground flat or get new ones. I now get to replace the disks and pads on my car. You see, I only replaced the pads last summer. Now the pads are as warped as the disks.

But, I did come across an extreme deal on pads and disks (rotors) for my Buick. I paid 66 bucks for 2 disks and 4 semi-metalic pads for the front and about the same for the backend. I think thats a steal and a half!! Did it off of ebay. Evidently there is a company in Chicago that sells them on ebay: fastsource_autoparts

Got them in one day and looked them over. Everything looks good. They are OEM disks and pads.

Now today I went to it but I could not for the life of me get the bolts that hold the caliper on - out. I was able to get my impact gun in on it but it didnt do anything. Then tried a socket and a cheater bar (15mm socket size). These bolts are on there and tightened by the hand of God.

So, I put it all back together and will try and brainstorm an idea to get them out. I have never had the disks off before.

Usually if you go auto parts stores like Advance, Oreilly, Autozone, etc, many times they sell lifetime pads so that if you change them, whenever they wear out, take them back and get new ones free.

Got my tires replaced a couple weeks back. I got about 130K on my 2007 Honda Civic. The brakes I replaced around January of 2014, they squeak a little here and at some stops. Going to have the dealership check them since they installed them and never had this issue before. Especially since it hasn't even 18 months since I got them replaced and my last set lasted me about 3 years or so.

My Honda has been good to me, the paint on the car not so much. Known issue with this model. Going to get it repainted properly on the hood, bumper and the door handles that faded in this hot Florida weather. Probably getting that done within the next month or 2.

Got my tires replaced a couple weeks back. I got about 130K on my 2007 Honda Civic. The brakes I replaced around January of 2014, they squeak a little here and at some stops. Going to have the dealership check them since they installed them and never had this issue before. Especially since it hasn't even 18 months since I got them replaced and my last set lasted me about 3 years or so.

My Honda has been good to me, the paint on the car not so much. Known issue with this model. Going to get it repainted properly on the hood, bumper and the door handles that faded in this hot Florida weather. Probably getting that done within the next month or 2.

Since you are down in Flordia, Do you have tinted windows? Up here I do not have much use for them - I think the police would look at me rather poorly if I did anyways. But was just curious. The heat and humidity down in Flordia is really something .

Have a good one.

Since you are down in Flordia, Do you have tinted windows? Up here I do not have much use for them - I think the police would look at me rather poorly if I did anyways. But was just curious. The heat and humidity down in Flordia is really something .

Have a good one.

Definitely. I got them within a week of owning the car. First thing I have always done with my cars. I got the legal tint and haven't had any issues. The humidity is what hurts us. Arizona can hit 110 but the dry heat doesn't compare to what we get sometimes. Especially when it rains out of nowhere and then the sun comes out.

I totally forgot you owned one. Hey if it works for you that is great! Personally I would feel claustrophobic in it lol.

Well I suffer from claustrophobia and its absolutely great. I even thought of buying a bigger car on the business but i would miss this one.

Definitely. I got them within a week of owning the car. First thing I have always done with my cars. I got the legal tint and haven't had any issues. The humidity is what hurts us. Arizona can hit 110 but the dry heat doesn't compare to what we get sometimes. Especially when it rains out of nowhere and then the sun comes out.

I was out in Vegas a few years ago and was riding around in a car - window up. I could feel the sun just burning on my arm. lol, I dont really take to the heat. I am more of a cold weather person. :)

I'm saying nothing it works well for me. I'm lucky if I see a vehicle to crash in to . Maybe a cow or two
Well, I certainly didnt mean anything by it. Its just I really enjoy the bigger cars. :) If it works then it works right?

No worries.

Finished a brake overhaul on my Buick today. Tore it down to the bearing hub and replaced the disks and pads. Made a big mistake last time - I replaced the pads and called it good. Well, The disks were warped and I wasted money on new pads and the time I spent putting them on. Oh well. This time done right with new disks, pads. Running great now. A real butter smooth stop when you hit the brakes.

4 disks, 4 sets of pads for about 133.00 investment. Awesome!

I'm saying nothing it works well for me. I'm lucky if I see a vehicle to crash in to . Maybe a cow or two

Hey, those things can do a surprising amount of damage if you hit one.

Many years ago, my friend's mother hit a cow (in a Nissan Micra I think it was). Apparently, there was a break in a fence around the field adjacent to the road. The cow suddenly charged through the fence, down a steep embankment and straight across the road in front of her. She hit it doing about 40mph. The cow landed on car's bonnet and its head came through the window, narrowly missing her and making the car an insurance write-off. After bouncing back off and lying in the road for a few moments, the cow jumped up and ran off. She spent years unsuccessfully trying to claim compensation from the farm owner. Despite the broken fence, the courts ruled in favour of the farmer and she never got a penny back for the damage caused to her car.

Back