Last retail copy of Windows 7

What do you think was/is Microsoft's best OS?

• Windows 10

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Win 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win 98/SE

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • ME

• NT

Votes: 1 2.5%

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • XP

Votes: 8 20.0%

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually DID like ME. It was the first Windows to jump on the Internet and do network sharing out of the box. It had limitations on drive size and things like that, but it was basically Win98 all buffed up and polished for the Internet.

I hated ME almost as much as Vista. But, as always, it's a matter of preferences. I friend of mine who had his own IT business who swore up and down it was the best thing out there. Better than W2K and XP SP2.

I dont think I ever touched a machine with 2000. "Server 2003", yes, plenty of times but not regular 2000.

I guess Barcelona wasn't a fan of windows 8 and better left forgotten like vista. it's failed attempt to make everyone finally use the windows store to download updates like 8.1. Also hated it having regular IE and then a metro IE version.

I dont think I ever touched a machine with 2000
Win2K was used a lot by pizza-techs here, to upgrade people from 98/ME, because it was the last version that had no activation (they only needed to copy one legitimate product key).

Reactions: GTP
I actually loved Windows 2000. It was fast, stable and on the fast track to success, and XP was a worthy successor. But it all went downhill from there. The bloat just kept adding up.

Even though machines got faster, they kept adding bloat to the OS. It's only now that suddenly we are focusing on optimization.

I miss those days. PC's were real PC's back then. Sigh.

I actually DID like ME. It was the first Windows to jump on the Internet and do network sharing out of the box. It had limitations on drive size and things like that, but it was basically Win98 all buffed up and polished for the Internet.

I'm with you on ME. I really like it. Never had any of the problems everyone else had.

Reactions: GTP
I actually loved Windows 2000. It was fast, stable and on the fast track to success, and XP was a worthy successor. But it all went downhill from there. The bloat just kept adding up.

Even though machines got faster, they kept adding bloat to the OS. It's only now that suddenly we are focusing on optimization.

I miss those days. PC's were real PC's back then. Sigh.
Yeah, I miss the days of installing an OS and opening Task Manager and seeing 18 process running!

Windows ME was bad but Vista took the cake.

I voted for Windows 7, absolutely love that OS. I still use it on my daily machine although I don't mind Windows 10 either.

One of the terrors of Vista was if someone brought in a box running it and it was missing SP1 and you had to install it, sometimes after the last reboot it would go to a black screen and start counting up, printing out files I guess it was registering or something and then suddenly you would get this kind of line:

!!!! blah, blah, blah 0x9030x9x x039rfmvlsd -x0xx9w3we !!!!!

And that would just keep flashing. Reboot, nothing. 50 "fixes" on the internet would not cure, it. You couldnt do anything 95% of the time but reload an image backup or reload from scratch.

7 for sure. still run it at home /office machine computers. I do Like 10. but it's ugly and there is way too much bloat with junk options that are just useless. Not to mention big brother through and through. i like the concept. But nothing beats Windows Aero for a nice ui.

I had Windows NT, DOS and 95 on floppy at one point. DOS was 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, and Windows were 3.5" floppies.

Although not related to the discussion I also at one point had Mac OS Floppies too.

Floppies were awesome!

I had Windows NT, DOS and 95 on floppy at one point. DOS was 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, and Windows were 3.5" floppies.

Although not related to the discussion I also at one point had Mac OS Floppies too.

Floppies were awesome!

I remember using the original Mac, 1 fd for OS, Paint, and Write, the other for storing files. Revolutionary in those days when we used to have to make presentations with typewriters, pen and paper.

Windows almost seemed to follow a "good, bad, good, bad" cycle with their releases.

Back when I was just starting into tech (around the early 2000's) I "hated" because
well all the cool people in the tech scene did up too and early in it's launch. It got
bashed for it's "fisher price" color scheme.... claimed stuff was "hidden away" and
so on....

Well after a while, say 2005 or so... I really started to like XP. Same thing with Vista
and even 7.... I "hated" them because it seems the initial reception for ALL new M$
OS's is to hate them. Once I learned a little bit, and realized it's better for me to form
my own opinions... I have liked a lot of the M$ operating systems.

I'd have to say my list would be Win 7 <--- Win 10 <--- Win 8.1 <---- Win XP

Win XP would probably be above Win 8.1, if it weren't losing support for so much
hardware / software these days. Win 10 would probably be #1 if M$ wasn't pushing
so much of that data collection / spying crap on what you do on your machine and
taking liberties by installing certain things for you that you didn't want or ask for.

Win 7 strikes that perfect balance for the moment. Great support by hardware / software,
little to no big brother crap going on, and it just is very reliable. My main rig runs win 10
but I do run a win 7 virtual machine for work. I just really enjoy the OS.

Vista wasn't terrible, you just needed to be running a version past SP1 and you had to have
the proper system resources. It was piggish on what it needed to run properly, espeically
in the early days.

Part of me wants to say "XP"...because I used it for soooo long, it was around forever! Knew it like the back of my hand..from all those years of using it. Seems like things have been a blurr since then.

I gotta admit, as a few years go by using Win10...I find it solid, reliable, quick. And still in the "discovering new things" about it. In a few more years I'll probably say I find it MS's best OS yet.

Back