Last retail copy of Windows 7

What do you think was/is Microsoft's best OS?

• Windows 10

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Win 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win 98/SE

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • ME

• NT

Votes: 1 2.5%

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • XP

Votes: 8 20.0%

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you can go back and get wistfull about 95, 98, xp and 7 but every new version with the exceptions of 2000,ME and Vista, were significant improvments. I love 10 now. I know its tougher for techs to get close to the O/S compared to XP, but 10 can do so much more and is so more user friendly and compatible with new technology.

I will not do a virus clean on a badly infected XP box anymore. Its N&P and reload data or take it somewhere else.

Reactions: CLC
I love 10 now. I know it's tougher for techs to get close to the O/S compared to XP, but 10 can do so much more and is so more user-friendly and compatible with new technology.

I will not do a virus clean on a badly infected XP box anymore. Its N&P and reload data or take it somewhere else.
Same here.

7 for me. 10 is faster and what not, but it's full of so much bloat/BS. 7 was just simple and did the job.
Well, I'm running 10 right now on a Dell 1545 laptop, Core 2 Duo (2.0gighz), 4 gb ram and 7200rpm WD black and its fast enough to do everything except gaming. Thats really old-tech hardware and yet 10 is humming along. I use this laptop as a bedside device thats on 18 hours a day, even if I am not here (I am here now because Saturday, beer, spongebob, waiting for grocery delivery, whatever).

My point is that a tuned 10 can run very nicely on a pretty old laptop hardware, any device above that and its very fast.

Well, I'm running 10 right now on a Dell 1545 laptop, Core 2 Duo (2.0gighz), 4 gb ram and 7200rpm WD black and its fast enough to do everything except gaming. Thats really old-tech hardware and yet 10 is humming along. I use this laptop as a bedside device thats on 18 hours a day, even if I am not here (I am here now because Saturday, beer, spongebob, waiting for grocery delivery, whatever).

My point is that a tuned 10 can run very nicely on a pretty old laptop hardware, any device above that and its very fast.
Sure but 7 did decently as well and Linux probably better. I use 10 on my main desktop and it works, but the notifications and other BS are just annoying. Luckily I'm running the Enterprise version which isn't as bad.

Reactions: GTP
Well, I'm running 10 right now on a Dell 1545 laptop, Core 2 Duo (2.0gighz), 4 gb ram and 7200rpm WD black and its fast enough to do everything except gaming. Thats really old-tech hardware and yet 10 is humming along.
I used to own one of those. I have set up 2 of those recently with SSD's and 10. I agree with you on that model.

Windows 7 by far. Everything is logically laid out and consistent.

Windows 10:
  • no I don't want to have an advertising ID attached to my computer
  • no I don't want to serve as a peer distribution point for any other random machine in the world to distribute your updates
  • no I don't want to automatically join hotspots or share that information with people in my address book
  • no, No, NO, I don't want to use a damned Microsoft account for my user profile. Just let me set up an account the way I want.
  • no, I don't want to have TWO different graphical interfaces to manage my printer and other control panel type items. Ugh.
  • no, I don't want you to force me to install minor updates and major service pack style updates

• no I don't want to have an advertising ID attached to my computer
  • no I don't want to serve as a peer distribution point for any other random machine in the world to distribute your updates
  • no I don't want to automatically join hotspots or share that information with people in my address book
  • no, No, NO, I don't want to use a damned Microsoft account for my user profile. Just let me set up an account the way I want.
Don't have to. Learn the settings and stop reading misleading info.
no, I don't want to have TWO different graphical interfaces to manage my printer and other control panel type items. Ugh.
There will be only one soon. (cue the Highlander theme)
no, I don't want you to force me to install minor updates and major service pack style updates
I have no issues with that.

.......but 10 can do so much more and is so more user friendly.......

I hear people say stuff like this, but honestly - I don't get it.

Considering what typical users care about, what more can W10 do that really matters to anyone? And how is it actually more user friendly than Windows 7? Better than Win 8/8.1, yes, but IMO still an inferior and more complicated user experience than W7.

Last edited:
Don't have to. Learn the settings and stop reading misleading info.
I did learn the settings. Every time I install Windows 10 for someone I have to switch off all these things. Things that weren't in Windows 7. Plus, with the Creators Edition they moved the goalposts. They've shuffled the questions around and I'm not clear that I'm turning off the things I want to turn off.

Everything @timeshifter said...nor am I not seeing that awesome speed increase I keep hearing about. On 90% of the machines I see every day it actually feels quite a bit slower. Maybe removing all the ads, spyware and callbacks to the NSA would help :rolleyes:

BTW - I love how you left "Vista" off the list. I agree, we all would like to pretend it never existed. :p
LOL!!! But he included ME.... Both are forgettable moments.
I only had so many spots for the poll. I'm with you that Vista should be just a bad memory! I included ME just to see if anyone else liked it as I did. I had no problems with it at all.

Best for everyone including end user? I would have to say windows 10.
Most significant upgrade at the time it was released including end users? windows xp.
Most significant upgrade at the time it was released for advanced users? windows 2000
OS i'd still be using if I could without issue? windows xp

I only had so many spots for the poll. I'm with you that Vista should be just a bad memory! I included ME just to see if anyone else liked it as I did. I had no problems with it at all.

Forgot about that limit. Well, you could have lumped them together. Two flings we'd rather not remember.........

Reactions: GTP
Back