Anyone actually tried/used Starlink

Added note...my pics are of the "Standard Actuated Dish" kit....what would be called "Gen2".
Last year the newer "Gen3" was out...but none that I went to install...had that new kit. I've read its avail was really limited. It goes come with a newer router also, that appears to come with built in ETH ports. The project I'm lining up now...I have to connect a "family compound of 4x summer mansions"...in a campus area network, I will probably go with the Gen3 standard dish and gateway.

Apparently the Gen3 dish has a wider focus and only needs to be pointed in the general direction. It doesn't have the automatic motorised positioning. I haven't come across one of those yet.

Apparently the Gen3 dish has a wider focus and only needs to be pointed in the general direction. It doesn't have the automatic motorised positioning. I haven't come across one of those yet.
Yeah it will not "self align"...so you have to do a lot of "back and forth adjusting" when putting it up there....using the app to help you move it until the apps says its happy/optimal. Also I'm not sure if the gen3 has a heater on it to melt snow. The gen2 does.

We have a couple clients using Starlink at remote sites here in the UK. Can't fault it so far. Been reliable with response times sitting around 30-40ms. Definitely a big upgrade over the several miles long copper connections they had previously.

Not really tested to fully capabilities with VOIP, Video conferencing etc so it might be a different story there.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Currently I use my 5g for Internet when I'm not home. At my home office/lab I have a fixed IP since I provide outward facing services. Many years ago I used ddns but with modern security measures everywhere it's impossible to provide services without being blocked. So I've been considering Starlink but they don't offer fixed IP's, at least IPV4.
But with the specs it's far better than a cellular connection. As I get further on the wrong side of the half century mark I'm spending more time thinking about hanging up my spurs. One direction is to move onto a boat, sail. So this would provide a great connection at random anchorages away from cellular service.
100.113.1xx.1xx address currently....on this install.
I've had public IP's as well on cellular but not nearly as common as private IP's.

Not really tested to fully capabilities with VOIP, Video conferencing etc so it might be a different story there.

Re: video conferencing/VoIP audio quality..it works fairly well. The screenshot I posted above of the WAN speed...was from a Unifi Dream Machine Pro...and that was installed in the summer home of a fairly big old family that owns some distilleries in Ireland and is a huge liquor importer, as well as other big money ventures like oil rigs in the Gulf. The "DSL" on the island...was practically running in gerbils and hamsters running in wheels. Horrible performance. And the islands ISP..the small phone company...they have internet provided to the island from mainland via a wireless point to point hop..approx 5 miles, a 2 gig link on Mimosa. (My airFiber link to the school on that island...was right next to their equipment on the towers and in the radio room). The island swells in population during the summer and the internet slows way down. His "Zoom meetings" with corporate were...horrible.

After I connected Starlink to his fairly large Unifi network in this summer...mansion....he was very...very pleased with this Zoom meeting experience from that point on.

Here in Australia, the biggest carrier Telstra has just started selling a satellite internet service powered by StarLink. It includes a home phone service (VOIP) so I assume that would be carrier-grade.

Back