Windows 7 mostly degraded, IE 9 and various other files missing .DLL's

knc

Reaction score
I am running Win 7 on a Mac in boot camp, and client said it crashed hard. clicking on IE says "can't open this item may have been moved, yada yada yada. Cant perform any win updates (everything fails) tried a Network install of ie 10 that failed. Trying to open a .jpq there was a problem starting c:\program files\windows photo viewer\photoviewer.dll the specified module could not be found. Just tried a SP1 network re-install error message "Installation was not successful" element not found error ERROR_NOT_FOUND (0x80070490).

I could go on but it looks like the windows installation is corrupted (even though it boots to desktop and Chrome works just fine) Bearshare is search engine so the potential of it being a virus is fairly good. Combofix runs fine with out reporting anything except a missing c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll is missing.

Can't do an inplace upgrade either(the program can't start because winnet.dll is missing from your computer).

Behaves same way in Safe mode.. Hmmm..

Can you maybe back up the data and system restore to a date before the crash and try to check it for infections after that?

Sounds like maybe you could F8 boot to repair your computer option.
From there go to CMD prompt
bootrec /rebuildbcd
also afterwards do a sfc /scannow.

Good luck.

SFC /scannow would not get past 7%..
Finally in repair mode I was able to do a system restore, that said it failed.. rebooted and voila it actually worked.. hmm
But I am all good now..

Now next point. Boot machine with Acronis or imaging software of choice, create an image and give them that image on a backup drive. Save yourself time next time maybe.

Now next point. Boot machine with Acronis or imaging software of choice, create an image and give them that image on a backup drive. Save yourself time next time maybe.

Not sure if I can restore an image of Win 7 on a Mac (boot camp)..I know shadow protect wont backup this, must be due to boot camp.

Back