Windows 12 coming in June 2024

GTP

Reaction score
My first question is why does Windows 12 have a large "8" as it's logo?

Second question is "how do I remove ChatGPT/CoPilot/BingAI/BingChat" or whatever else they've called it from Windows 12?

I'll have to download a copy and strip it down in NTLite...

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a mobius strip. Following its path with take you on both sides of the the shape. It's a poor attempt to tie "quantum" (as in, a superconductor levitating across a mobius strip) to "AI" - AI, quantum - get it? Eh. Pretty lame.

It's a mobius strip. Following its path with take you on both sides of the the shape. It's a poor attempt to tie "quantum" (as in, a superconductor levitating across a mobius strip) to "AI" - AI, quantum - get it? Eh. Pretty lame.

PS, if you don't want copilot - just hook up a second monitor. Apparently, Copilot doesn't work with multi-monitor setups.. and it's still not installed on my 11 23H3 system with 3 monitors.

• Love
Reactions: GTP
Yeah? I bet - like me - thousands or millions of people will see it as an "8" lol

You'll be waiting a long time. I was interested too after seeing the link @phaZed posted in another thread.
But AFAIA it's just a concept that wasn't/isn't meant to go anywhere.
And because it's not an "official Microsoft release" (and never will be) there is no way to activate it.

You'll be waiting a long time. I was interested too after seeing the link @phaZed posted in another thread.
But AFAIA it's just a concept that wasn't/isn't meant to go anywhere.
And because it's not an "official Microsoft release" (and never will be) there is no way to activate it.
Yes I know is a concept, never saw the other thread - my bad going to corner.

• Haha
Reactions: GTP
Everyone loves to "skip" odd releases, and so I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do Windows 12 just to get the idiots to upgrade.

Also, you will not be avoiding copilot, it's going into everything Microsoft touches as fast as they can place it. The only way to avoid it is to not use the Microsoft ecosystem, and / or stay offline.

But IF they do Windows 12, I fully expect it to run on the same hardware reqs as Windows 11 and be a free upgrade just like Windows 11 does.

P.S. Laughing at the idea that multi-monitor somehow exempts you from Copilot... every system I have is multi-monitor and yes every system I have has the feature. It's a KB patch for Windows 11, nothing more complex. But it will be a core feature on the next feature edition, I assume Windows 11 24H2 will have it.

Everyone loves to "skip" odd releases, and so I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do Windows 12 just to get the idiots to upgrade.

Also, you will not be avoiding copilot, it's going into everything Microsoft touches as fast as they can place it. The only way to avoid it is to not use the Microsoft ecosystem, and / or stay offline.

But IF they do Windows 12, I fully expect it to run on the same hardware reqs as Windows 11 and be a free upgrade just like Windows 11 does.

P.S. Laughing at the idea that multi-monitor somehow exempts you from Copilot... every system I have is multi-monitor and yes every system I have has the feature. It's a KB patch for Windows 11, nothing more complex. But it will be a core feature on the next feature edition, I assume Windows 11 24H2 will have it.

1704902919377.png
1704903000442.png
1704903120120.png

1704903059958.png

Also, you will not be avoiding copilot, it's going into everything Microsoft touches as fast as they can place it.

The idea that you can avoid AI is akin to the idea that you can avoid air, water, and food.

This is another of those changes that are a part of the natural evolution of computing. As one of the members on the NVDA group often says, "You either learn how to swim with the current or you drown."

View attachment 15779
View attachment 15780
View attachment 15782

View attachment 15781

A bump in the road. It's not like there have not been many before, and will not be many to come. It's certainly not "a show stopper" for CoPilot. It is going to be "everywhere" in the Microsoft ecosystem as quickly as they can insert it there, and they're doing so with all possible haste. (And, as the old saying goes, "Haste makes waste." Or as one of my coworkers from the 1980s used to say when we were both programmers: "There's never time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to do it over," when it came to endless artificial and unnecessary deadlines.)

I'm actually somewhat looking forward to copilot - though I find copilot to be less useful/correct than most of the competitors (ChatGPT, Bard) at the moment.

The function I am looking for is to be able to automate website input from a table/Spreadsheet. EG. Upload 100 youtube videos and set the settings, title, descriptions, etc... automatically. I recall reading something about being able to do such a thing.

At least in 11, it can be disabled with reg tweaks.

What can? [Not trying to be snarky, there are just several options here.]

If we're talking the presence/absence of Copilot Preview on the taskbar, that's adjustable directly in settings:
1704911448968.png

Attachments

• 1704911448997.png
    1704911448997.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 1
@phaZed I guess the key word in that article is "may".

I've got an office full of IT guys that live and die on Dell laptops that are plugged into docking stations with at least two, sometimes three monitors on it. We have a sister company in the building who's CEO has FOUR Samsung ViewFinity S95UA curved monitors attached.

There are at least 8 different monitor configurations in use over a population of about 50 people I'm aware of.

All of us use Copilot... none of us have had this issue.

You will also note, the feature you're looking at is Copilot for Windows, which is baked into Windows 11. This is in effect Bing Chat Enterprise rebranded. Organizations with E level M365 subscriptions can configure privacy into this form of Copilot to prevent information leaks and keep the bot trained on the organization itself. Everyone smaller is basically just using a Microsoft owned shared instance of ChatGPT 3.5. If you're comparing this copilot to the ChatGPT 4.0 available via OpenAI's website you will notice accuracy issues. However if you compare it to the free ChatGPT option it's quite comparable. I haven't noticed much of a difference from either system I've asked to do things.

As for getting it to automate production of your spreadsheets, THAT is called Copilot for M365, which went live November 1st. There are however... some HUGE glaring issues.

1.) It's only available to M365 E5 subscribers with an EA agreement.
2.) It's only purchasable via an organization with access to a Microsoft representative. (My company is managed, so we can sell it)
3.) It's priced at $30 / user / month.
4.) It has a minimum purchase of 300 users with an annual commitment.
5.) It only integrates with the current beta release of the Office applications.

Note point 5... the office suite didn't get the release that allows Copilot integration until just before Christmas, so early adopters after paying through the nose couldn't even poke at this until Christmas AND they had to expose their entire organization to the bugs attached to the preview versions of the M365 on premise and cloud software to do it!

Security Copilot is only available if you fork over $100,000 to get into the preview program. (yes, we have clients doing this)

But it's Copilot for M365 integrating with Power Automate that I'm most excited about, because it's that pathway that will enable me to configure my mailbox to trigger a flow that results in document creation when I receive a ticket from Autotask.

Not to mention the tools in Teams that have been announced, and the ones in Word... and the ones in Excel... Outlook...

Sadly, MS has hinted the minimum purchase won't reduce until the end of Q1, and even then it's only going down to 200 users. I don't think we'll see general availability of M365 Copilot until next year sometime, and even then I'm not sure Microsoft will allow subscriptions smaller than E5 to be upgraded to include the feature. Note, I said M365 E5 not O365 E5... you need the BIG package to play here.

The problem? Microsoft needs GPUs... and nVidia can't make them fast enough.

Back