windows 10 systems crashing while printing

That's not a temp fix... That's a straight up manual fix for a broken driver.

So Microsoft is now giving free tech support to cover Kyocera's stupidity... I can't wait until people bag on Microsoft some more for this being "all their fault".

I can't wait until people bag on Microsoft some more for this being "all their fault".

You didn't have to. Microsoft (which, I'll admit, has definite issues of its own) long ago became the world's whipping boy for virtually any technical problem that has occurred on a DOS or Windows system. It's virtually never anyone else's fault, because it requires critical thinking to determine where fault lies.

Agree, Client WAS convinced he had a "Worm" ...

And this is a case that's the textbook example of why client education is such a value-added part of what we do.

If you can teach them to do nothing more than a web search using a couple of simple terms, "Windows update print problems," being a good example, they can easily determine whether "it's only me" or something others (even if relatively few others) are experiencing shortly after any given Windows Update. Of course, one would substitute whatever happens to be appropriate for "print problems" depending on what is occurring.

Yeah, but with said Googling they often find the technical equivalent of WebMD searches, and are quickly convinced their machine has "cancer".

It takes substantial skill to find information among the disinformation on any topic, Windows issues are specifically difficult these circumstances. Train users certainly, but they'll never be free of a need of an expert to trust.

To be clear, I never said, not implied, that we can (or would want to, really) reach a point where our clients aren't in need of our expertise.

But checking the news for "widespread issues, even of a specific kind" after a Windows Update is, truly, dirt simple. Just "Windows Update March 2021" is enough to limit the results pretty well. I've taught a number of my clients how to do this sort of "quick and dirty" search for themselves so that they can be more comfortable (and accurate) in knowing whether they have an issue that's limited to them versus not.

If you have a client who is not capable of separating fact from fiction, then I agree, one should avoid this approach. I'll add I also try to teach how one can judge information sources in terms of reliability, too. "I read it on the internet, so it must be true," is a notion of which every living person needs to be disabused.

Microsoft has released out-of-band non-security updates to fix a know Windows 10 issue causing blue screens when printing to network printers after installing the March 2021 cumulative updates.

According to Microsoft, the cumulative updates released today are addressing "an issue that might cause a blue screen when attempting to print to certain printers using some apps and might generate the error, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH."

The cumulative updates containing the fix released today are published as optional updates so they will not be installed automatically via Windows Update.

To install the updates manually, you have will have to open Windows Update and 'Check for updates.' You’ll then be able to directly click a link to download and install the update or go to the 'Optional updates available' area and pick it from the list.

The updates can also be downloaded manually from the Microsoft Catalog using the following links:

After installing this update, Windows 10, version 2004 will be updated to build 19041.868 and Windows 10, version 20H2 to build 19042.868.

Affected printers and Windows platforms

Printer brands impacted by this known issue include Kyocera, Ricoh, and Dymo.

Lol this Tuesday patches had an unfortunate side effect of causing machines to crash while printing documents i had to un-install them this is really annoying Microsoft uses us as beta testers although it does keep me in business having to fix all these problems.
Um, sounds like there might be some shorting between the printer and the computer? Or the driver is crashing spectacularly and needs a reboot. I'd try to update the drivers for the printer first. Let us know what happens

Back