So I Upgraded My Main Laptop to Windows 10...

sapphirescales

Reaction score
I upgraded my main laptop from Windows 8.1 to 10 yesterday and I've noticed quite a few bugs. My 8.1 installation was smooth as butter. I've never had anything weird happen since I did a clean install over two years ago. But now on Windows 10 I've experienced the following issues:

1. Slower - Any time I try to do anything beyond basic web surfing (i.e. Photoshop), the system sputters and performs about as badly as a Core 2 Duo with Windows 7 trying to do the same thing.

2. "Pictures" folder refuses to open - I can open it manually by going to C:/Users/etc. but as soon as I try to use the shortcut, it fails. I have no idea why. It's pointed to the right folder, but it does nothing when you click on it. And it's throughout the system too. Whether I try to open it from "File Explorer," the tree menu on the left, or the shortcut in the start menu (which needs to be manually activated in the Settings), nothing happens when I click on it.

3. Microsoft Edge SUPER Slow & Won't Type Correctly - I'd rather use IE6 than this garbage. Even bringing up YouTube makes the CPU go to 100%. When you go to type something into the annoying "Where to Next?" box, the existing text just becomes highlighted and won't go away when you start typing. If I hit the backspace button, it closes Edge.

4. My trackpad no longer scrolls correctly at all times - It's okay most of the time. But with drop-down menu's, it's TERRIBLE! It simply doesn't work anymore. It could be a driver issue, but I don't think so seeing as it works with everything but drop-down menu's.

5. Cortana doesn't pick up my voice very well - My microphone works. But Cortana can't hear me properly. Although I've always had a hard time with voice recognition software, it's 2015. I expect better than Dragon Naturally Speaking from 1998.

6. I've tried the new Pictures app to view pictures (as a replacement for Windows Photo Viewer). It's dysfunctional. I can't even go from one picture to another in order when I open it. The order is mixed up. It's totally useless. And the pictures appear blurry. Come on Microsoft!

I'm going to hold on the way it is for a few weeks and see how it goes. If these are general bugs that Microsoft can fix, great. But I have the feeling it's because I did an OS upgrade rather than a clean install. It's 1998 all over again! If that's the case, then I'll certainly be busy. With all these people upgrading, a LOT of problems are going to crop up.

Since we don't see a rash of similar posts, it must be just you. .. :)

Treat it like a customer's machine and start diagnosing. I would start with drivers. Maybe something didn't install right. Put your pre-upgrade image back on, and try again. I've been doing full cleanups and malware scans before the 3 I've done so far, I'd say that is best-practices.

One of my techs here upgraded his little Samsung atom netbook to win10 and he said it was doing really strange things as well.
He wiped it and did a fresh install and now it's working great.
I would do that if I was you.

I agree with the wipe and reload. It's nice to get a fresh start once in a while anyway.

Yep. Especially with the new version right out of the blocks. I'd never do an upgrade with that. But if it's been 6 months since launch and they've applied a bunch of patches I'd be more inclined to give an upgrade a try.

OS upgrades never go well. But to get the free version you kinda of have to go through that . Though if you pay attention there is a clean install option during the upgrade. And you can refresh the system with options to keep data or total nuke from orbit.

Though if you pay attention there is a clean install option during the upgrade.

Yes, but to use it you must have completed an upgrade once on that machine. That's what registers the hardware hash with MS. After they have that, you can do a clean install and it will activate. If you do a clean install the first time, it will not activate.

Yes, but to use it you must have completed an upgrade once on that machine. That's what registers the hardware hash with MS. After they have that, you can do a clean install and it will activate. If you do a clean install the first time, it will not activate.
No you don't. You have to start the upgrade on a working windows machine but during the upgrade it asks you what you want to do with your data. And you can elect to nuke it all. So you can do it in one pass.https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...-10-tip-successfully-clean-install-windows-10

It WILL leave you with a windows old folder but none of your data or setting will be in your install and you can remove those folders immediately or wait a month and win 10 will nuke them for you. Not technically a clean install but close enough for most users.

No you don't.

I stand corrected. I wonder if your method would technically be better for customer's computers since you get the safety blanket of the windows.old folder in addition to the fabs output or whatever you normally use for backup. I'm still trying to work out the best procedure for when customers start asking. So far I have

1. Create an image
2. Hardware diag
3. cleanup & malware scans
4. backup data & inventory software, get keys where possible
5. install Win10 using whatever method (still deciding)
6. restore data if necessary
7. ???
8. Profit!!

I have tried it in 5 machines, and each time I have done the upgrade over the existing system, chose not to save anything, and of course the windows.old folders gets created, but all 5 machines were sort of buggy. so I went head and did a fresh install, no problem activating all 5 machines, and the performance is way better, no problems, I even did it on an Asus netbook with an atom 1.67 ghz/2gb ram and it works awesome, my kid loves it.
For customers, that's the only way I will accept doing it, meaning, go the extra step of installing W10 twice, once to get the free upgrade and the second to install W10 on a formatted hard drive, so they don't have any problems

I have tried it in 5 machines, and each time I have done the upgrade over the existing system, chose not to save anything, and of course the windows.old folders gets created, but all 5 machines were sort of buggy. so I went head and did a fresh install, no problem activating all 5 machines, and the performance is way better, no problems, I even did it on an Asus netbook with an atom 1.67 ghz/2gb ram and it works awesome, my kid loves it.
For customers, that's the only way I will accept doing it, meaning, go the extra step of installing W10 twice, once to get the free upgrade and the second to install W10 on a formatted hard drive, so they don't have any problems

I agree on this.

Here is how i explain OS upgrades to customers:
Think of it like your moving house. You had everything the way you liked it at your old house. You knew where e everything was and setup things the way you like it.

But know you have decided to move house.

The new house feels different, the layout of the new house isnt quite the same, you only just moved in so give it time unpack your belongings.

Same goes for Os upgrades, you need to reinstall a few aps and adjust settings to how you like it. Change some default programs like Edge - i tried it didnt like it so changed it to Chrome.
Update some hardware drivers so it works on new one ect. Theres gonna be bugs theres always bugs in a new OS release.

I ran with tech preview for a few months so i went with the upgrade and so far so good

I have done a clean install of Windows 8.1 setup in Best Performance and ClassicShell and then a clean install of Windows 10 RTM setup in Best Performance on Samsung i5, SSD Laptop and Windows 8.1 is noticeable faster. I was speaking to someone that had Windows 7 i3 SSD, he did a clean install of Windows 10 and found the same.

The specs on the laptop are Intel Core i5 2.60Ghz processor (3rd gen), 16GB RAM, 256GB MSATA SSD, 1TB HDD. It can definitely handle it. The machine I used as my test machine for the Windows Insider Program was an old Dell Latitude E6440 and it ran much faster than this. I checked out the HDD/SDD and they check out okay. I just need to do a clean install, I'm sure.

Back