Windows 10 Sun Valley '21H2' update: What we know so far

Porthos

Reaction score
With the upcoming Windows 10 21H1 feature update being a minor release with few improvements, Microsoft will likely include all of the new features they have introduced in Insider builds in Windows 10 21H2.

Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 21H2 in the fall of 2021 after Windows 10 21H1 is released in the spring and Windows 10X afterward.

Codenamed "Sun Valley." Windows 10 21H2 will be a full-featured update that includes numerous new features and improvements for the Start Menu, Taskbar, Action Center, and more, which we have outlined below.

With the upcoming Windows 10 21H1 feature update being a minor release with few improvements, Microsoft will likely include all of the new features they have introduced in Insider builds in Windows 10 21H2.

Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 21H2 in the fall of 2021 after Windows 10 21H1 is released in the spring and Windows 10X afterward.

Codenamed "Sun Valley." Windows 10 21H2 will be a full-featured update that includes numerous new features and improvements for the Start Menu, Taskbar, Action Center, and more, which we have outlined below.

Drilling down in this article there is an eerie sub-article about Microsoft's Windows 10X. It appears it is going to disable the reload of the OS without the users MS Account name and password and we all know how that is. They are saying that they might employ that feature in the regular Windows 10 too.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...oser-look-at-microsofts-new-operating-system/

Just when I thought Microsoft were starting to show some consistency with feature upgrades... lets switch it up and make H1 the minor this time!

Thanks Microsoft for screwing up all our planning.

Not all that unexpected, with COVID running rampant would you want to push a feature update that's likely to break things?

I just assumed MS was giving us a break.

Not all that unexpected, with COVID running rampant would you want to push a feature update that's likely to break things?

Fair point, but on the usual schedule we wouldn't be installing the H1 upgrade anyway. Since 1803 Microsoft had been doing Major/Minor and we aligned all our clients for yearly feature upgrades on the H2 Minor cycle for stability.

Now they switched it up our yearly cycle is out of whack. Not sure I want to push clients straight onto a Major build in H2, but I don't want to upgrade them 6 months earlier than planned either. And what's going to happen next year will 22H1 go back to being Major or not?

It's not a disaster by any means but certainly annoying when you plan around a release cycle and they keep moving the goalposts.

@SAFCasper That's why I kept my customers on the 6 month cadence, but one step behind. They won't get 21H1 until it's been on the shelf for six months. Even the "unstable" releases haven't given me fits on that cycle.

It would sure be nice if MS would simply quit pushing feature updates that are likely to break things.

It would sure be nice if MS would simply quit pushing feature updates that are likely to break things.
So, they should stop innovating then?

Innovation is disruptive, we earn our livings on that disruption. Wanting that to change is illogical, and unproductive. It's not even in our customers' best interests!

Back