Windows 10 21H2 is released, here are the new features

21H2 is now the default when using Windows Update Assistant.

I'm finding quite a few machines stuck on old Win10 versions that aren't upgrading naturally (Win7 déjà vu). Instead of throwing an ISO at them I usually just start the Update Assistant and walk away.

I'm finding quite a few machines stuck on old Win10 versions that aren't upgrading naturally (Win7 déjà vu). Instead of throwing an ISO at them I usually just start the Update Assistant and walk away.

Not that I'm criticizing this approach, but do not be surprised if the Update Assistant fails on a number of these machines. I have, over the last 6 years, detected a somewhat regular pattern that machines that do not update via Windows Update will often fail to do so with the Update Assistant.

That's one of the reasons I've come to use the ISO method for a repair install/feature update on any machine showing hesitancy. It would sometimes be unnecessary, that's for sure, but I've never had the ISO method fail, and I hate having to backtrack for the machines that just don't update with either Windows Update or the Update Assistant.

Back