Windows 11?

nlinecomputers

Reaction score
Microsoft once touted Windows 10 as the ”last version of Windows” emphasizing it's constant state of upgrades. The coming Fall update expected to be build 21H2 and code named ”Sun Valley“ will have significant changes in visual appearance which is apparently enough for the marketing gang at Microsoft to decide that the last version is not so last after all.

Until I see evidence otherwise I'm assuming this is just another feature update with yet again changed version numbers.

Until I see evidence otherwise I'm assuming this is just another feature update with yet again changed version numbers.
Pretty much. The insider builds are showing a lot of GUI changes but there's not a separate beta for this nor indications of a new development team. Somebody in marketing no doubt egged on by OEMs who want something new to tout has brought this on.

Good heavens, talk about a "stretch" on the part of that article's author. The fact that the shadow lacks "horzontal bars" looks to me to be about shadow length and "light" point source and where the "light" falls.

There is no indication at all from those I know who are "in the know" that any version number change in Windows is imminent.

Good heavens, talk about a "stretch" on the part of that article's author. The fact that the shadow lacks "horzontal bars" looks to me to be about shadow length and "light" point source and where the "light" falls.

There is no indication at all from those I know who are "in the know" that any version number change in Windows is imminent.
Gotta disagree with you there. They don't do events just for a new build. There have been rumors for some time about major changes. Builds don’t normally have code names. From the git-go this build has been touted as “Sun Valley”. This is the time of year for marketing reasons to announce new stuff in time for it to arrive on shelves before Christmas. Remember that Windows 10 was supposed to be Windows 9. They bumped it to 10 strictly for marketing purposes.

I definitely would be interested to see what ends up happening, would like to see the GUI changes and also new Windows logo lol.

@nlinecomputers No... the bumped it to 10, because lazy programmers reading text strings in ancient software can't tell the difference between "Windows 9" and "Windows 95 / 98"

No joke... there's a horde of stuff out there that detects it's running on 9x by looking for "Windows 9".

@nlinecomputers No... the bumped it to 10, because lazy programmers reading text strings in ancient software can't tell the difference between "Windows 9" and "Windows 95 / 98"

No joke... there's a horde of stuff out there that detects it's running on 9x by looking for "Windows 9".
That seems to be more urban legend than true IMO.

Microsoft announced earlier this year that Windows 10X had been postponed beyond 2021, and that it was instead prioritizing bringing the best of Windows 10X over to the full version of Windows. This means that Windows 10X will likely never ship, but that a lot of the Windows 10X UX will ship as part of the Sun Valley project instead.

See also the NYT tech article about how surprising it is that this release is pretty much a non-event.

You can't fault Microsoft for trying to generate excitement. Microsoft has never been good at marketing. They get where they are by bulldozing the competition out of existence. The world has moved beyond just Windows PCs and certainly, the Office and Azure divisions understand that. But, not everyone got the memo.

I saw rumors that one day Windows will just be called Windows with no number.

That's precisely what I expect to happen. Just like Linux (regardless of distro name) and Android and iOS. There are, of course, versions and major revisions to all of those mentioned, but the OS name itself remains the same. Isn't MacOS now called MacOS regardless of the version as well? [I'm aware of the place name designators, just like I was aware of the now-dropped confection names for the versions of Android.]

That seems to be more urban legend than true IMO.
I would think the same thing, if I hadn't directly experienced it soon after launch. It's very much not a problem now though, even my stubborn old clients have long given up running DOS / Win 9X based stuff!

It would be nice if Microsoft would just use semver... and move on...

Heck doing that we could have Windows 11, 12, 16, 22 and whatever... but it still be "10", because they're simply free releases forever from a license bought with the machine. Reality as we know it remains unchanged, just the labels put on feature updates.

Though... there is going to come a point where old hardware falls off the backside... I've always wondered when we'd hit that point.

Back