Windows 10 Now Advising Users About Lack Of Windows 11 Eligibility

NviGate Systems

Reaction score
So the time has come...again.

Microsoft has started rolling out a notification to users of Windows 10 whose machines do not qualify for Windows 11. My NEC Tablet running Windows 10 Pro did it the other night, it was a full screen notifications much like how the "Complete Seting Up This PC" dialogue works.

I'm not sure how long they will pester users, likely forever, if I recall, earlier versions of Windows they had this issue too, although it was a KB you could uninstall.

The prompt basically will give users options about disposing of the PC, buying a new one etc.

Thanks Microsoft!

Yep - saw one of those. I'm working on (ok, stealing with credit) a script for my RMM to point out these machines so I can start being more proactive with the holdouts. I mean, it should have a high dollar return for effort, but you never know.

I am thankful that this is happening. I wish such had been pushed more proactively by Microsoft in the past.

I'd like to see as few Windows 10 holdouts as I can (though there will certainly be plenty, you can be sure).

They should have an option "Don't remind me again", or "Don't remind me for X months". It's still 18 months away, so it could become quite annoying (depending on the frequency of the popups).

507d9a67986549517189ed1678e3861b

What you need to know​

• Some Windows 10 users have reported seeing a full screen warning about next year's end of support date.
  • Users running Windows 10 in in-eligible PCs are being prompted to learn about how they can transition to Windows 11 by buying a new PC.
  • The full screen prompt has no button to never show it again.
It only has a remind me later link.
1716506362651.png

While I agree that this will backfire if the nag is too frequent, at this point in time I wouldn't be giving users a "Never show again" option, either.

I expect that the nags will be very widely spaced out at first (probably months between) with the interval becoming compressed as the sunset date for Windows 10 gets closer. I also expect that eventually there will be a "Never show again" option, just not yet.

Surely there is or will be a STFUMS script to stop the nagging prompts for users who simply do not wish to. As it is up to the user themselves whether or not to invest in a new system. As long as the user is aware of security risks with using an unsupported system and also running such as script. It is a grey area I would agree, though it is rather annoying approach in MS to do this. It would bring more work to techs yes, though is unfair to the the residential consumer especially in today's financial environment. As for business well they would be onto Win11 anyway.

This is a good thing. I've warned all my clients repeatedly that they need to come in at the end of 2025 to either get a new computer or upgrade to Windows 11 but I know that the vast majority of people will just continue to run Windows 10 until something breaks. I still occasionally get windows 7 systems in here that don't work anymore because the browsers are so out of date. If their browser continued to work, they'd just continue on blissfully unaware. I have no doubt that I will continue to see Windows 10 systems coming in in 2030. Maybe this nag screen will reduce that number.

Surely there is or will be a STFUMS script to stop the nagging prompts

As surely as the sun rises. But it's a bit early to classify these prompts as overly frequent or unwelcome. You know that there are millions of people who have every intention of running "up to the drop dead date" who also have every intention of getting a new computer, but will certainly forget what that drop dead date is without some sort of reminder.

Why are people complaining about this? And why is anyone surprised?

Oh noes! The great big bad Microsoft is warning its customers their junk is going to be unsupportable next year!!

The more nagging Microsoft injects the better, people need to upgrade their crap. Most of us make money doing exactly that, so why is this seen as anything other than an opportunity?

If you're going to pull the don't tread on me, muh freedums card... you're not using a MS OS anyway. That is... if you've got an ounce of sanity and rationality.

This doesn't just affect the one user it affects others as well. One variable being it opens the user to becoming an unwitting member of a botnet which could affect millions.
^This !!!

Everywhere I "preach" about needing to only use an in-support version of Windows (at least if that machine has any connection to cyberspace) tries to emphasize this.

Every freakin' Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.1 machine still "on the internet" out there is giving nefarious actors many wide-open attack surfaces that do not exist in later versions of Windows, and when they want one of them, they will find them.

It's not just about you, it's about the people around you (there are great parallels with vaccination here).

By the way, I posted in one of the blind-centric technology groups I'm on about this, and gave a direct link to this topic.

My first, and currently only, response there (message #11434) contains this: I too have received this warning from Microsoft. However, when it popped up on my system it also gave me the option to not be reminded again. I chose that option.

Might be that way for supported systems.

But we're talking about a warning saying your system is not able to be updated to Windows 11, that is, the update is not supported. You should not receive the warning under discussion on a system that can update to Windows 11, only those that can't. The image you posted states that in the warning itself.

I fully expect a variant for systems that could be upgraded in place, but have not been so yet, will also be presented.

Oh noes! The great big bad Microsoft is warning its customers their junk is going to be unsupportable next year!!
I would agree with that, if it was the same as previous releases when the perfectly usable hardware was able to upgrade to the new Windows version. Any rare compatibility issues were the responsibility of chipset makers and users themselves, Microsoft were under no obligation to release patches for their new OS on old hardware.

The problem isn't the OS becoming unsupported, it's that users are prevented from upgrading to the newer OS. We all know how well Windows 11 works on unsupported PCs of sufficient performance.

The problem isn't the OS becoming unsupported, it's that users are prevented from upgrading to the newer OS.

That's not a problem in my opinion, but a business decision, and a legitimate one.

Eventually, everyone's gotta upgrade. If this pushes some who have been badly lagging in that regard, I welcome it. The hardware requirements for Windows 11 (not bypassed) serve to make cyberspace safer.

The hardware requirements for Windows 11 (not bypassed) serve to make cyberspace safer.
In theory maybe. In reality I'm not so sure.
There were other options for Microsoft to save some hardware wastage, such as supporting older hardware for longer with a disclaimer.

Back