WhoCrashed Dump analysis

stick1977

Reaction score
I've got a client who's getting about 4 blue screens per week. The computer is a used Lenovo ThinkPad T500 laptop with a new OS build as of a month ago. It's running 64 bit Windows with 4 GB RAM.

I'm not really sure what to tell him at this point. When I look at this report it shows 4 different files that have caused the various crashes but also says that "possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time". The end of the report suggests that I should enable complete memory dump files so I found a registry modification that allows for this. Soon I'll have a 4+ GB complete dump file to look at but I've never done analysis like this before...

Is this WhoCrashed program any good or is there something else I should use? He's also experiencing wireless issues. Honestly I'd prefer to just build him out a new operating system but he wants to troubleshoot.

Has anyone ever successfully resolved an issue as complex as this? Seems like Windows is just plain hosed. ThinkVantage System Update program is supposed to scan the laptop and find suitable updates but it's obviously not working correctly or I wouldn't be in this mess.

Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 3.06

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. If will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which also allows analysis of crashdumps on remote drives and computers on the network and offers a range of additional features.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

computer name: CHWET500X64
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 4185948160 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1944260608

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 9/12/2012 10:38:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091212-21637-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x233A3)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880055483A3, 0xFFFFF88006BF3818, 0xFFFFF88006BF3070)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 9/12/2012 10:38:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1!VidMmInterface+0x11AE3)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880055483A3, 0xFFFFF88006BF3818, 0xFFFFF88006BF3070)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 9/12/2012 09:06:08 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091212-20514-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0xEC7D001, 0x12983, 0xFFFFF70001080000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 9/11/2012 00:37:47 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091012-17674-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0xC4B22)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF96000124B22, 0xFFFFF880075B9080, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Thu 8/30/2012 23:41:00 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\083012-18174-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFF900C01CA458, 0xE3E00000432A9863, 0xFFFFF880038DB4E0, 0x2)
Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 8/29/2012 00:35:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082812-18111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x374BE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880055C24BE, 0xFFFFF88006BF93D8, 0xFFFFF88006BF8C30)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Tue 8/28/2012 10:53:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082812-23181-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x23F39F)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF960002BF39F, 0xFFFFF880028379A0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Wed 8/22/2012 10:58:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082212-17362-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF8800A25FFC0, 0x1, 0xFFFFF9600016BE63, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

On Sat 8/18/2012 18:06:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081812-17628-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x8865A)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF9600008865A, 0xFFFFF8800BEBEF80, 0x0)

On Wed 8/15/2012 22:25:20 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081512-20607-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0xD61B001, 0x39E3, 0xFFFFF70001080000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

10 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider configuring your system to produce a full memory dump for better analysis.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

direct x, video card driver, bad video card, or bad ram would be where I would start.

reinstalling won't fix a bad part... test the ram with memtest86, stress the video card with furmark or something similar..

+1 to PCX & Compnet... run full diagnostics to confirm or rule out failing hardware.

Also, what kind of WiFi issues is the customer experiencing? Might be related, particularly if the laptop shipped with a different OS than is currently installed. I've seen NICs that work fine in XP but frequently BSOD in Win7.

Otherwise, if the hardware passes diags, you can always try updating all device drivers, bios, disabling extraneous startup items, etc...

ok guys, I'm hearing you loud and clear, check hardware first before checking software. My only issue with that is that the computer is in another state, I only have remote access. So.. something like memtest86 which is a bootable program is not an option, at least not for me anyways... this user is fairly savvy and probably wouldn't mind running diags though so I'll burn him a Lenovo diag disk and FedEx to him, but this is frustrating as I'd much prefer to have the machine in my hands. The user also won't make time for me to remote in, just wants me to send instructions... sigh.

Lenovo diags (if they fail) will entitle me to free replacements as the machine is still under warranty so i'll run those. If everything shows up clean I'll commit more brain cells to the issue but first thing first. Thanks.

ok guys, I'm hearing you loud and clear, check hardware first before checking software. My only issue with that is that the computer is in another state, I only have remote access. So.. something like memtest86 which is a bootable program is not an option, at least not for me anyways... this user is fairly savvy and probably wouldn't mind running diags though so I'll burn him a Lenovo diag disk and FedEx to him, but this is frustrating as I'd much prefer to have the machine in my hands. The user also won't make time for me to remote in, just wants me to send instructions... sigh.

Lenovo diags (if they fail) will entitle me to free replacements as the machine is still under warranty so i'll run those. If everything shows up clean I'll commit more brain cells to the issue but first thing first. Thanks.

You could run prime95, make sure the laptop is in an air conditioned environment on a flat solid surface. I would just run it over night or something...maybe like 8-10 hours...personally I find the sweet spot to be closer to around 16-17 hours. It is not really the test I would want to use for ram as passing it does not mean you don't have a ram issue but if it fails i think a ram issue is likely for a laptop.

You mentioned mailing a CD but really all you need is for the customer to put in a blank CD into the laptop.

BTW: I wouldnt run furmark as previously mentioned on a laptop unless im purposely checking for power/heat issues. The only other time I use furmark is if a customer is constantly crashing in video games and I want to see if it crashes in openGL rather than directx. (on another note, I also don't do linpack /w avx for stability testing for the same reason its just going overboard)

I don't know if this could be of any help, but what kind of hard drive is in the machine? Have you tried checking the settings in the BIOS for IDE/ATA? I have had a Lenovo Idepad blue screen on about every 4 boot, and the correct setting in the BIOS fixed this. Ive actually had to switch it to IDE even tho there was SATA in the machine, for some reason upon reboot the new driver installed, and switched back to SATA. Sorry I forget the actual issue with this, but I will try to find the link I read on Lenovo forums for this problem.

Here was what worked for me:
1. In the BIOS setup your notebook, check whether you may have changed the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification, if so set it to auto or sata or default (you may have to re-install to load the correct driver).

(sorry, id not see that laptop was out of state.)

Last edited:
Back