Which PC manufacturer is best now a days?

stick1977

Reaction score
Just wondering everyones opinion about PC manufacturers and where you get your client machines these days. I see Dell as a company that used to be great but is shipping inferior hardware lately, at least for their Optiplex and Vostro lines.

Dell used to be really great. I have a client that has about 30 of the older XP Optiplexs and the hardware never fails. SOme of the OS installations get corrupt so we just rebuild the system but the hardware just lives forever, Dell used to be great IMO.

Today's Dell is a totally different story from what I see. I had an Optiplex recently show up DOA. I've also seen many MBs die being only 1, 2, or 3 years old. With Dell it's mostly MB issues. The servers seem to be good but the lower-mid level business PCs have poor quality MBs from what I've seen over the last 18 months or so.

I want to buy the cutting edge PC so to speak. I want to buy what's good now. Norton used to be very good AV but not anymore IMO, today I think Kaspersky is the "hot" AV company. What major PC manufacturer is shipping out the best quality systems for the price?

I'm a big fan of HP. Not that their support is great, but their products seem to last fairly long. I personally work off of a quad core 3.2ghz Vista HP Pavilion desktop that I picked up about 5 years ago (of course I UP-UP-UP-GRADED to Windows 7). I did some work to it, like adding a SSD as the primary drive, so mine doesn't count as a stock computer, but I feel like for my customers HPs last the longest and are the best (other than building a custom rig).

Frankly, I'm a skeptic when it comes to this stuff.

As far as I can tell, for any given price range, they're all pretty much the same Chinese computers with different wrappers.

Yeah, once in a while a particular manufacture will get stuck with a bunch of lemons (capacitors, motherboards, GPU, solder issues, etc) and take a specific hit against their reputation. But it's not as if they do it deliberately (I hope). It's like the ocean tide that washes in, messes around with someone's quality for a while, washes out, comes in and hits someone else.

They all take turns climbing and descending the quality/reputation heap and it's beyond me to guess what direction any particular one is heading today.

As far as I can tell, for any given price range, they're all pretty much the same Chinese computers with different wrappers.

I agree. You can find a nice machine if you are willing to spend the $$$ but the machines that most home users (and many cheap businesses) are buying these days are just garbage.

The most common laptop I get in for repairs are the HP models. Most common desktops that come in are the really cheap ones like the emachines. I know Dell has really gone downhill along with hp. But I think their business lines are still somewhat solid.

For home users I prefer to build them myself. But the expense is really starting to get up there when they can go down and buy a walmart special for 300 bucks. Sure, They will not last but they still do it.

I have always built my own systems for my use and for alot of my customers. The ones I build I think will last years ahead of anything on the consumer market today.

coffee

We supply Dell when the client insists, dumped HP due to quality and channel partnering issues long ago, and generally stick to Lenovo currently for name brand solutions.

I would also put a plug in for Equus for whitebox solutions. Their quality of build and components are top notch. Their parts support and warranty support not so much, but on the plus side those are rarely needed.

The most common laptop I get in for repairs are the HP models. Most common desktops that come in are the really cheap ones like the emachines. I know Dell has really gone downhill along with hp. But I think their business lines are still somewhat solid.

...snipped... coffee

If you were to look over my desktop scrap pile, you'd see a majority of Dell desktops. My laptop pile is a little more evenly dispersed between Toshiba, HP, Gateway and Dell.

Repaired machines are roughly the same spread, with maybe HP bumping up around Dell on the desktop front.

I've always figured such stats are more reflective of the quantity of those machines sold in my market, rather than a useful reflection on their quality or comparative longevity.

If a client asks me what do I recommend I try not to be committed to one brand as if they get a bad 'un 'you recommended it' :D I say I mainly see older computers for repair and it wouldn't be fair to base a new one on those experiences.

I trust Dell consumer PC's with suspicion these days, as its no secret they are in financial difficulty.
Another company bashed by the advent of tablets.

Hardly a week goes by where someone isn't mentioned as a potential buyer.

Maybe their quality control has taken a hit.

I agree with most of you who say reliability fluctuates, with no out-and-out winner.

I still favour my custom machines as opposed to those bought off the shelf.

This is a long-time primary argument for these as opposed to the mass produced, low cost, mass manufacture ones.

Am i Pricey ?

Yep, a little bit more expensive but my machines can take some hammer. Every one built with pride.

Just wondering everyones opinion about PC manufacturers and where you get your client machines these days. I see Dell as a company that used to be great but is shipping inferior hardware lately, at least for their Optiplex and Vostro lines.

Dell used to be really great. I have a client that has about 30 of the older XP Optiplexs and the hardware never fails. ?

Since you're talking about businesses.....I see in the past you went with business computers, and I'm a firm firm believer in business grade computers, versus home grade computers.
By business grade computers, I'm talking about Dell Optiplex and Precision series desktop, Latitude and Precision series laptops. Or HP Business Desktop "DC Elite" series. Or Lenovo Thinkpad laptops. Products with 3 year warranties.

By home grade, I'm talking about computers that I don't want to touch, never want to support, and strongly ...fiercely, tell our clients to stay away from. But this I mean...Dell Dimension desktops, Dell Inspiron laptops, HP Pavilions.

Those Dell Vostro's...in the middle, generally only 1x year warranty and the support channels are not as good as with the real biz grade computers (Opti's). So I stay away from those.

Personally I prefer Dells because their ordering system is easier and quicker. I just got 10x Optiplex's in front of me for a client, I just received a notice that another one just shipped for another client, we have good luck with them, have had great luck for years.

Also have good luck with the HP Business series, (currently like the Elite 8000 models). We recently got 5x of those for ourselves here at the office. Sometimes shopping/pricing those out is more difficult through wholesale channels, but often there's much more margin on them than with Dell. Support is good too.

Last edited:
I trust Dell consumer PC's with suspicion these days, as its no secret they are in financial difficulty.
Another company bashed by the advent of tablets.

Hardly a week goes by where someone isn't mentioned as a potential buyer.

Maybe their quality control has taken a hit.

I agree with most of you who say reliability fluctuates, with no out-and-out winner.

I still favour my custom machines as opposed to those bought off the shelf.

This is a long-time primary argument for these as opposed to the mass produced, low cost, mass manufacture ones.

Am i Pricey ?

Yep, a little bit more expensive but my machines can take some hammer. Every one built with pride.

I totally agree here. Building them, You know whats in them and you can control the quality for the most part. Sure they cost more. But you get what you pay for. Besides, Why would you trust your data on a 299.oo special from walmart???

If you were to look over my desktop scrap pile, you'd see a majority of Dell desktops. My laptop pile is a little more evenly dispersed between Toshiba, HP, Gateway and Dell.

Repaired machines are roughly the same spread, with maybe HP bumping up around Dell on the desktop front.

I've always figured such stats are more reflective of the quantity of those machines sold in my market, rather than a useful reflection on their quality or comparative longevity.

Ill go with that. In fact, Now when I sell laptops I have 2 brands that I like to push

1. Lenovo
2. Asus

The most dreaded are the little netbooks. Seems everything in them screams CHEAP!

I'd still go with Dell

I've been supporting Dell desktops and laptopsin a business environment for the past 7 years. Also, in my last job (which I left almost 3 years ago), we switched over to the HP business line, so I can speak to that a little bit as well.

Along with some others who have posted on this thread, I would agree that the mid-high end business line (Optiplex, Precisision, Latitudes for Dell) have a long history of reliability. Yes, there may be deviations & the occasional DOA, but in terms of failure per volume, I have found Dell to be reliable. (certainly more reliable now than the nightmare Optiplex GX270/280 motherboard replacements due to faulty capacitors).

I believe one important element of reliability is that, when a component does fail, how quick and/or painless is it to get it replaced when working with the vendor? In my opinion, this is an area where Dell's business line shines, even more than HP, with the standard 3 year warranty w/ Next Business Day parts delivery. For my residential customers who are running a business from their home office, this is what I recommend, and I reason with them that, in a break fix situation, I know that the issue can usually be resolved on fairly short order and I know that working with the vendor will not be a difficult experience.

Dell used to be really great. I have a client that has about 30 of the older XP Optiplexs and the hardware never fails. SOme of the OS installations get corrupt so we just rebuild the system but the hardware just lives forever, Dell used to be great IMO.

Today's Dell is a totally different story from what I see. I had an Optiplex recently show up DOA. I've also seen many MBs die being only 1, 2, or 3 years old. With Dell it's mostly MB issues. The servers seem to be good but the lower-mid level business PCs have poor quality MBs from what I've seen over the last 18 months or so.

I want to buy the cutting edge PC so to speak. I want to buy what's good now. Norton used to be very good AV but not anymore IMO, today I think Kaspersky is the "hot" AV company. What major PC manufacturer is shipping out the best quality systems for the price?

I've had good luck with getting the dell optiplex series for business and home users that are willing to spend the money. None of them are over 2 years old yet so I guess time will tell how they hold up against the older xp opti's.

I believe one important element of reliability is that, when a component does fail, how quick and/or painless is it to get it replaced when working with the vendor?

Exactly. I've been saying that for years. I want my clients to use the products that are the easiest for me to support, and that require the least effort for me to help them get things resolved.

I have been doing the "fixed monthly client" support model since waaaaay before MSP became the trendy buzzterm of the industry. So I have had many clients on a fixed monthly price for support. Naturally, I want to spend the least amount of time "fixing things". I want to spend the least amount of time on anything, period!

So when a workstation breaks...I don't want to go out there to troubleshoot it, and then try to get parts for it, and then go back and spend my time fixing it. I'd much rather sit at my office, or home on my comfy couch...bring up Dells chat support...say "Hey, I need a new power supply" or "hey, I need a new system board in that laptop"....and the next day Dell dispatches a tech onsite to my client to replace the part. I recently just did that again about a week ago...a long distance client of mine in New York City. I didn't want to drive down there! 5 minutes of my time with Dells chat...while I was at my office doing many other things at the same time....hey, can anyone beat that?

The other thing to think about, that is in the best interest of your clients, is to use products that some other IT company can support. Suppose one day you get hit by a bus, and your client(s) have to find another propeller head to take over their IT support...you want something others can support.

I'm a fan of the Dell optiplex we use the 755 and running windows 7 with 2GB of ram and a core duo, the 1st line analyst run a few apps on there the 2nd line analyst have 3.5gb of ram as they have to run more apps such as endpoint encryption and I know some of the managers have a newer version they all seem to work okay, they load faster with win 7 rather than xp! This is in a service desk with 30, 000 customers.

The best reference I have found for this question is the Square study which was ideal up until a couple of years ago, when it became dated. I have not seen anything of the same scale since, and would be very interested to know if anyone is aware of a similar independent reference on reliability over time by different manufacturers.

These days I just tell people to stay away from HP laptops and to get an extended warranty on any laptop purchase. One thing that I think is probably still quite accurate about the square study is the finding that 1-in-3 laptops will fail witihin 3 years. From a consumer standpoint, it may cost them $100 for the extra warranty cover, but thats a hell load less than most laptop repairs.

Ive not seen anything recent that objectively demonstrates any brand distinction, so I stay away from specific brand recommendations, however I do maintain, just on an anecdotal level, that HP laptops are complete garbage and should never have been let loose on the consumer market at any point in history.

But thats probably just me :)

Last edited:
Ill go with that. In fact, Now when I sell laptops I have 2 brands that I like to push

1. Lenovo
2. Asus

The most dreaded are the little netbooks. Seems everything in them screams CHEAP!

This, this, and this.

I repair more dell and hp over all others combined

Rarely if ever see lenovo and asus consumer models

Once have I repaired a lenovo business class and that was a windows issue

Dell has gone downhill even their business class now . Hp consumer is crap, business isn't a whole lot better

This, this, and this.

I repair more dell and hp over all others combined

Rarely if ever see lenovo and asus consumer models

Once have I repaired a lenovo business class and that was a windows issue

Dell has gone downhill even their business class now . Hp consumer is crap, business isn't a whole lot better

You see the most computers from the two biggest companies and the least from two of the smallest?

You don't say.

I see a lot of iphones for screen replacements and havent seen any blackberries, therefore blackberry has the strongest screens.

Back