When is it OK to reinstall/reload Windows?

... I always make sure the customers know that printers/ wifi settings etc will need to be reinstalled, ...

If you mean that the wifi settings have to be reinstalled, you can back them up and then reload them. Take a look at Nirsoft's WirelessKeyView tool (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html). We use the tool when doing a N&P to first create a report of the ssid/keys, then do an export of the same info. When rebuilding the system, we then do an import and all the wifi definitions are back just like they were. Really sweet.

We do a lot of nuke and paves. Sometimes it is the best fit for the customer. During our testing/evaluation phase we determine what programs and how the client uses the computer. After thIs process we find a nuke and pave is often a better fit. Nothing is more annoying than to spend a ridiculous amount of time fixing an OS when after having a more detailed conversation with the client only to determine the computer is only used for the web and they don't want or need all of the old configuration on the computer. You could make a point it lazier to try and just tune it up when it might be better to have a good conversation to really understand the customers actual needs and what is best for them.

If you mean that the wifi settings have to be reinstalled, you can back them up and then reload them. Take a look at Nirsoft's WirelessKeyView tool (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html). We use the tool when doing a N&P to first create a report of the ssid/keys, then do an export of the same info. When rebuilding the system, we then do an import and all the wifi definitions are back just like they were. Really sweet.

We automate this task with d7 to run a custom script using the nirsost utility. We run d7 once to gather information, including importing the WiFi keys. Then after restoring there system we use d7 to import the keys. I can't remember the last time a customer called us to help get back on their wifi.

Last edited:
We automate this task with d7 to run a custom script using the nirsost utility. We run d7 once to gather information, including importing the WiFi keys. Then after restoring there system we use d7 to import the keys. I can't remember the last time a customer called us to help get back on their wifi.
that sounds good. But I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination!

Is d7 the one from foolishit?

Good thread.

I have had a couple where the customer brought their machine to me and it was installed with a Pirated version only to find the proper version of Windows on the side of the machine. I really don't do many Nuke and Paves, it has been awhile since I had to do one. I really try to exhaust all options before even trying to go that route. I actually thought the information you posted about a hard drive going bad and imaging it and transferring it over was actually real helpful @frederick Thanks for that.

The existence of Windows Ultimate does not always mean a pirated OS (ok, MOST of the time it does, but not always). I've run into two of these in the last year that were upgraded with the anytime upgrade so that they could use bitlocker. One was just an extra-savvy user, and one was a broker who did it to his personal laptop after he had to do it for the computers in the office.

I tend to nuke and pave more and more. 95% of my clients have typical software needs and don't use most of the software that a system is preinstalled with. I keep current images of Win 7 Home and Pro and Windows 8.1 Home and Pro. (I really cringe when I see a tech posting a request for system recovery disks. Make your own master disks or deliver pizza.) With tools to make full images, FABS, Snappy Driver installer and good inventory of the software on the system it is very easy and quick to turn a system around and have a very satisfied client. The pizza techs that nuke and pave make no effort to backup data or ascertain what software the client is using. A good tech does. You can waste a lot of time(and billable hours) beating your head against a wall to get a band aid or you can properly collect data and give your client a like new system tuned and ready. And the more you move your client base to SMB clients the more important that is. Good client setups have data on servers. So dropping in a new workstation or a N&P with an image can make for a faster turn around and get an idle employee back to work.

What tool or tools are you using to make the current images of Windows? Does the file end up as an ISO? For instance, a clean install with Win 7 w/SP1 ISO, SDI, and WSUS Offline takes me approx. 5 hours to have everything fully updated. Of course this is a lot faster than without SDI/WSUS, but still lengthy process. I'm just looking for ways to make the process any faster which is how I arrived in this thread.

*By the way, I don't dispute the initial post in the thread as it's largely against using the clean install as a fix all when it could be totally unnecessary. Everyone should strive for best practices and balance.

I create master VM images in VirtualBox. Keep them updated and then sysprep them and copy them with Macrium Reflect to my NAS. Then I boot to the new system with a Reflect Boot USB disk and copy the image over, use the boot repair tools in Reflect to get in bootable and then either restore backed up drivers or use Snappy Driver to load new drivers. Close the system in sysprep, configure for the end user and install software and data. I often can have a bootable system ready to hand the end user in an hour, unless there are large amounts of software and data. But base system is live and running in 15-20 minutes.

What tool or tools are you using to make the current images of Windows? Does the file end up as an ISO? For instance, a clean install with Win 7 w/SP1 ISO, SDI, and WSUS Offline takes me approx. 5 hours to have everything fully updated. Of course this is a lot faster than without SDI/WSUS, but still lengthy process. I'm just looking for ways to make the process any faster which is how I arrived in this thread.
a fresh image, including drivers, all the basic software can be done in 30 - 40 minutes if it got dedicated attention. The base image install with all of the updates takes abut 15 minutes. Then we have a script that starts the process of running snappy driver. While snappy is downloading and installing the drivers, the script uses ninite pro to install them most common software along with some other custom software. While this is being done we activate it. This is all done without a single reboot(waste of time).

Updates are the biggest time killer there is.

we use a system of imagex deployment using usb drives with wim iamges

Does a master image cover different editions of all of 7, or all of Vista? Using some sort of virtual machine to manage these sounds like a great idea.
No I have images for each flavor and version. Running in a Vm means I don't have to use a built system just to updated it. I just boot up once a month after patch tuesday and update each VM. I need to sit down and build two Win 10 versions as well because soon we will have crashing christmas Win 10 systems hitting the bench. Not sure if I'll need OEM copies to work with or if I can use the upgrade media. 8.1 sysprep has issues with updates can't be in audit mode and access Windows Update.

I have had customers come in and request this service. And they always ask why it is not on my general price guide I have for them to read. I tell them why a "reload" is not needed and that just because there is a pop up does not mean their machine needs to be formatted.

I think in the last 6 months I have done 3. and two where because the person wanted to sell it and did not like the price I offered. So I charged to do the work and let them sell it. The other was a person who had a vista COA and WIndows 7 Ultimate with Windows saying it was not valid.

Nuke and paves are my last resort for anything. I hate them lol. it is the easy way out for a tech but harder on the customer.

Shoot I only have two shops within 20 mile circle but we have a lot of home techs. and many that come in with issues. like. I formated this and reinstalled windows. But I forgot to back up thier files can you get them. I always ask why they had to format and they give me lists of reasons.....

Not sure if I'll need OEM copies to work with or if I can use the upgrade media. 8.1 sysprep has issues with updates can't be in audit mode and access Windows Update.

I have always only used audit mode at the end to remove the extra user aacocunt. Based on what everyone else has always said that is improper. I don't think it has ever caused an issue.

on a side note, my script is not fully automatic, you still need to interact with the installers

Thanks for the replies. Some of that is a little over my head so I'm going to have to read-up on some things. But being able to reduce from 5 hours to 1 hour would be great. Do you think there would be a way to perform a clean install like this on-site or only in lab?

Back