Vista 64bit TCP/IP not working

occsean

Reaction score
Hi all...new here....Did a search and found one post but resolution not appropriate in this case.

Customer comes in with standard rogue AV infection. The usual fake security popups and asking to buy software..That was pretty easy to take care of. Nuke some registery entries, run rkill, MBAM, etc etc...So I get the malware off fairly easily. Usually at this point based on my experience Internet connectivity comes back. Not so today.

Adapter has a 169 address. Known good router, cable, etc.

have tried every command line reset I can think of i.e. mostly netsh int commands to rebuild the TCP/IP stack and fix Winsock. No joy. Static IP..packets will jump up to a few hundred than stop but still cannot get out past the adapter. /renew and /release commands return errors even in an elevated command prompt. basically nothing is acting as expected

Pretty convinced it is not the adapter (but open to being wrong). I suppose I could boot to a PE or Linux Live disk to determine that or pop another drive in there and blow another copy of Windows onto the box.

What I am REALLY trying to avoid here is nuking the install. I found some forum posts on other sites that detail a Vista repair hack that can be done by doing an inplace upgrade from within the OS itself. I kinda skipped the whole Vista thing to be honest and don't have a ton of experience with the OS. It amazed me there is not a repair install feature like XP's.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on stuff I can try here.

Appreciate any and all comments..

Thanks

I would reinstall, ive seen these issues before, and you could spend countless hours researching, trying this and that. This is one of those items that constitutes a reinstall.

Have you tried a fixed ip address? If you've got experience of using Wireshark at frame and packet level run that up and see what's happening with the dhcp dialogue.

Have you tried a fixed ip address? If you've got experience of using Wireshark at frame and packet level run that up and see what's happening with the dhcp dialogue.

Hey Martyn..

yeah I thought I mentioned in the post I did assign it a static...only result was a few hundred packets initially sent/received then stopped...

Hi all...new here....Did a search and found one post but resolution not appropriate in this case.

Customer comes in with standard rogue AV infection. The usual fake security popups and asking to buy software..That was pretty easy to take care of. Nuke some registery entries, run rkill, MBAM, etc etc...So I get the malware off fairly easily. Usually at this point based on my experience Internet connectivity comes back. Not so today.

Adapter has a 169 address. Known good router, cable, etc.

have tried every command line reset I can think of i.e. mostly netsh int commands to rebuild the TCP/IP stack and fix Winsock. No joy. Static IP..packets will jump up to a few hundred than stop but still cannot get out past the adapter. /renew and /release commands return errors even in an elevated command prompt. basically nothing is acting as expected

Pretty convinced it is not the adapter (but open to being wrong). I suppose I could boot to a PE or Linux Live disk to determine that or pop another drive in there and blow another copy of Windows onto the box.

What I am REALLY trying to avoid here is nuking the install. I found some forum posts on other sites that detail a Vista repair hack that can be done by doing an inplace upgrade from within the OS itself. I kinda skipped the whole Vista thing to be honest and don't have a ton of experience with the OS. It amazed me there is not a repair install feature like XP's.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on stuff I can try here.

Appreciate any and all comments..

Thanks

Can you report what the command errors are? They might well be very relevant to solving this.

I would do as you suggested and try a linux disk to see if the adaptor is working if that is suspected.

Sorry I missed it in the original post :eek: I would look at installation leftovers from Norton and other firewalls then. If you give it a fixed ip address then try the ping and tracert command see if the resolution is going on and if indeed the packets are getting out onto the net.

So ping www.google.com does it resolve.
tracert www.google.com or whatever, how far does it go.

Both of those with valid web addresses should resolve to ip. If they don't then try below.

Try tracert 1.1.1.1 and see if it goes out on the net.

Last edited:
Can you report what the command errors are? They might well be very relevant to solving this.

I would do as you suggested and try a linux disk to see if the adaptor is working if that is suspected.

Here's a few of the errors I encountered. System is performing backup now so can't recreate the others

While attempting release renew commands I get an error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo Interface

Then while running netsh int reset commands I get this error: resetting echo request, failed access denied

Errors occur in safe mode as well...always being run with elevation

Sorry I missed it in the original post :eek: I would look at installation leftovers from Norton and other firewalls then. If you give it a fixed ip address then try the ping and tracert command see if the resolution is going on and if indeed the packets are getting out onto the net.

So ping www.google.com does it resolve.
tracert www.google.com or whatever, how far does it go.

Both of those with valid web addresses should resolve to ip. If they don't then try below.

Try tracert 1.1.1.1 and see if it goes out on the net.

Hey Martyn..

Brilliant suggestion...The more I thought about it the more it made sense...Found traces of Norton 360..Ran Norton Removal Tool.

Issue resolved!!!

Where do I send your 1/2 of the payment to?

Thanks again everyone!!

Hey Martyn..

Brilliant suggestion...The more I thought about it the more it made sense...Found traces of Norton 360..Ran Norton Removal Tool.

Issue resolved!!!

Where do I send your 1/2 of the payment to?

Thanks again everyone!!

Glad it worked. I think it's been that on more than one occasion on here.

Back