Left click start button not working

JohnDoe1980

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a problem that seems simple enough to fix but is not. I have tried a plethora of suggestions to no avail. Left clicking on the start menu button does nothing. Left clicking on some taskbar icons does nothing. Same with network and sound. Right clicking the start button brings up the regular right click menu. Pressing the start button on the keyboard does nothing.

I have tried powershell commands, sfc /scannow, DISM restore health command, restarting explorer, some registry entries, creating a new user account with admin privs, and a few other things. Googling this issue has come up with quite a few posts and most of them offer the same solutions I already tried. This is very strange. Someone recently said computers hate me and I think he is right, lol. Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated.

Presuming the expected checks for a bad mouse/mousepad have already been done . . .

On any Windows machine running Windows 10 or later, when issues inexplicably present themselves “out of the blue” and with seemingly no reason, these are the two things I recommend doing, in order:

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary.

Presuming the expected checks for a bad mouse/mousepad have already been done . . .

On any Windows machine running Windows 10 or later, when issues inexplicably present themselves “out of the blue” and with seemingly no reason, these are the two things I recommend doing, in order:

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

Thanks for your prompt response. I have already run the DISM command and the system file checker command.

I'm going to try a repair install, but I'm going to clone the drive first just to be safe.

Were I you, I would take a full system image before doing the repair install. A full system image can be restored to as many drives as you might ever wish to restore it to (not that I think you'll have to).

Cloning, literal cloning, is something I very seldom do these days.

Were I you, I would take a full system image before doing the repair install. A full system image can be restored to as many drives as you might ever wish to restore it to (not that I think you'll have to).

Cloning, literal cloning, is something I very seldom do these days.
I'm embarrassed to say, I've never done that. Which program do you suggest I use to do that?

Just run this in an elevated Powershell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopementMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation) \AppManifest.xml"}

Quick and simple.

Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth afterwards if needed.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopementMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation) \AppManifest.xml"}

Quick and simple.

Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth afterwards if needed.
Already tried that.

Already tried that.

You have never mentioned using the noted command in PowerShell, then followed by DISM.

In any case, if you don't have a hardware problem, which you pretty much know if left click is working everywhere but to open the start menu, then just do a repair install. There is zero to lose and it's dirt simple.

@JohnDoe1980

You have been given advice, very good advice, by not only myself but a number of others.

If you've eliminated a hardware issue then please, for the love of heaven, follow through on one or more of those recommendations before posting another blessed thing. Your habit of ignoring every piece of advice given to you and continuing to post and post and post has entirely worn out its welcome.

You have never mentioned using the noted command in PowerShell, then followed by DISM.

In any case, if you don't have a hardware problem, which you pretty much know if left click is working everywhere but to open the start menu, then just do a repair install. There is zero to lose and it's dirt simple.
Ok, thanks. I'm working on that now. First imaging the drive with Macrium.

@JohnDoe1980

You have been given advice, very good advice, by not only myself but a number of others.

If you've eliminated a hardware issue then please, for the love of heaven, follow through on one or more of those recommendations before posting another blessed thing. Your habit of ignoring every piece of advice given to you and continuing to post and post and post has entirely worn out its welcome.
@britechguy

I apologize if my posts annoy you. That's certainly not my intent. I am definitely not ignoring advice though. I'm trying everything that's suggested. I am imaging the drive now, then doing a repair install, and will post again when that's done if it's successful. I appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much @britechguy !!! The repair install fixed the problem. I am very relieved now.

If you read your posts, there are a lot more to thank than @britechguy, he simply stated what had been stated already by @GTP. Which again you simply never seemed to take any notice of. No offense or anything towards @britechguy of course.
GTP said "

Quick and simple.

Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth afterwards if needed."

which I did notice and responded to that I had already tried that. He did not mention anything about doing a repair install. That was britechguy. Did I miss something here? I think you are inferring that I don't respect/appreciate/notice the suggestions I'm given here. Granted I am a new member and a little green but I always try to be polite, respectful and clear in my communications. If I've offended anyone I apologize. I'm just trying to get help with some issues and hope to be able to also contribute by helping others.

Reactions: GTP
GTP said "

Quick and simple.

Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth afterwards if needed."

which I did notice and responded to that I had already tried that. He did not mention anything about doing a repair install. That was britechguy. Did I miss something here? I think you are inferring that I don't respect/appreciate/notice the suggestions I'm given here. Granted I am a new member and a little green but I always try to be polite, respectful and clear in my communications. If I've offended anyone I apologize. I'm just trying to get help with some issues and hope to be able to also contribute by helping others.
I've run into this issue many times and 99% of the time its a quick fix by re-registering the app package with that PS command.
Obviously (on this occasion) the problem was more than the command could fix, but I'm glad you got it sorted.

Back