Users computer doesn't always get to the welcome screen

Velvis

Reaction score
About a week ago this users computer was just a the windows circle endlessly spinning when he came in in the morning. After about an hour I had him force power it off and reboot and it was still at the spinning circle and eventually it got to the password login.

Today he had more trouble with it. It gets to the login image freezes then the spinning circle. After 4 times of rebooting he was able to enter his password.

After he's in it behaves fine.

Any suggestions?

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and it reported the drive was good. I also ran the performance monitor and it passed the smart test. I also ran wmic diskdrive get status and that came back OK.

I didnt do any RAM testing as the computer I was remoting into it. That may have to wait for the weekend.

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and it reported the drive was good. I also ran the performance monitor and it passed the smart test. I also ran wmic diskdrive get status and that came back OK.

I didnt do any RAM testing as the computer I was remoting into it. That may have to wait for the weekend.

Platter drive or SSD? Because if it's the latter, only the manufacture's testing utility has a chance at confirming a weak drive, and even then... that chance is VERY low. SSDs fail just like RAM... strangely... inconsistently... and honestly most of the time the only symptom you get is random inexplicable issues. If the RAM checks out, and it's SSD equipped... My money is on that SSD being defective.

Back