Ubiquiti UniFi Guest Captive Portal / Splash Page

ComputerSharp

Reaction score
I am having just the hardest time with the guest captive portal / splash page in Ubiquiti UniFi. I am on version 5.0.7 with the WAPs on firmware version 3.7.5.4969. I've set up a guest network with guest controls. There is a known issue with the captive portal / splash page that when you connect to the guest network with a mobile device, specifically iOS device, sometimes you need to physically open the browser, initiate a website access before the guest portal will come up. There are instructions for older versions of Ubiquiti that indicates how to force an automatic redirection which I've followed the steps as best as I can for the latest version. It occurred to me that I actually needed to use Legacy JSP and check that I was going to override the default templates with a custom one. I then pasted code into the index.html file to force a redirect (in other words, bypass any kind of terms of use page or "connect" button) in the hopes that this would show the splash page (really, the institution's homepage) whenever a user connected to the network, especially an iOS user. However, all that happens is that I see a blank white page that looks like it is trying to load something (i.e., do the redirect) but then nothing ends up happening.

Having to explain to the client that they may need to tell the users to open a browser and try going to any webpage is going to be a pain. Why can't this work like any other public WiFi network you connect to??

I'm thinking this may be an issue with the portal HTML. I've been doing some installs at a local school district. My work is rack and stack the equipment and mount the AP's. Testing after. This is all Cisco stuff with a remote engineer doing the programming.

The school district already has a functioning website and public/guest access is supposed to hit that. On my iPhone's I had problems like you mentioned. When I selected the SSID most of the time it loaded a blank screen.

Sounds as though you don't have ports 8880 & 8843 open on your controller. Have you followed these instructions:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/arti...-Portal-Promotional-URL-Automatic-Redirection

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/218506997-UniFi-Ports-Used

I'm running the latest version of the controller, and everything works fine. As per the client requirements, no T's & C's, just straight on to WiFi with an automatic redirection to their Facebook page.

Andy

Yes ports 8880 & 8843 are open. Well, they are at least open on the SonicWALL, are you suggesting they may need to be open on the firewall of the machine hosting the controller?

How did you set up the automatic redirection? Which version of the controller are you running and which version of WAP firmware?

Yes ports 8880 & 8843 are open. Well, they are at least open on the SonicWALL, are you suggesting they may need to be open on the firewall of the machine hosting the controller?

Yes, the machine the controller is on needs the ports opened or the firewall turned off.

Yes. Port forward the required ports to the controller. The controller needs the ports open as well.

How did you set up the automatic redirection?
Just follow the guide here:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/arti...-Portal-Promotional-URL-Automatic-Redirection

Which version of the controller are you running and which version of WAP firmware?
v5.0.7
v3.7.5.4969 on AC Pro's

Andy

Back